The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 6, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
LionHunter

What's your current C&R project?

Part of the enjoyment in being a C&R collector is working on and restoring them. I collect U.S. martial arms and usually have at least two projects underway. Currently restoring a M1903 stock and working on some bad M1917 stock metal.

What about you?

Last edited by LionHunter; November 7, 2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old November 27, 2008, 09:07 AM   #2
PtrJack

Project

I'm currently refinishing an SKS stock that came on a "gunsmith special". It had a cracked stock and I'm almost through refinishing it.
Old November 27, 2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Ricklin

I'm going to strip the slides on the CZ 82s this weekend, and give them a squirt of paint. I recently finished the stock on my old Sears Model 50 (FN Mauser) for what was a cheap gun in the 50s, the wood is beautiful. I'd like to have it checkered soon.
Old November 27, 2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'm in my infant stages of practicing my C&R privilages. Received it just a couple of months ago and bought a 91/30 Tula Sniper from InterOrdnance last week.

Hopefully, it will be in next week. They were backlogged on shipping like everybody else.

I honestly don't think I'll do much with it. I don't like to modify old milsurps if they're in decent shape. Of course, if they really do need repair/restoration, I'm going to need much assisstance on what to buy. I'll be a novice for sure.

In comparison to a car, some people can barely change the oil. So, why get a '29 Ford shell and attempt to turn it into a Boyd Cottington? This is where I am with guns.

Hopefully, this thread will spark some ideas on what to look for in the future.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 27, 2008, 11:46 AM   #5
MJ1

Restoring a 1945 #4T Enfield.

From this M47C

Into something like this 1943 M47

Old November 28, 2008, 10:38 AM   #6
jsmaye

1. Save money towards acquiring The Wish List.
2. Clean and refinish or restore recently acquired K31.
3. Clean and refinish or restore recently acquired M95.
4. Early Christmas present will be rosewood grips for CZ-52. Not much of a "project", per se.
5. Frequent gun shows, forums, and websites. The Wish List changes and grows all the time.
6. I've asked a local fabrication shop to look at re-creating the K31 charger clips in metal or plastic so I can conserve the original cardboard one.
7. The same fab shop wants to build and test a large hot-blueing/refinishing tank for their customers. I've volunteered my dinged-up M91/30 for this dangerous mission.
Old November 30, 2008, 07:08 PM   #7
jorjohn11

Just got done refinishing the stock on a winchester m1 carbine, now onto the walnut k31.
Old December 8, 2008, 04:59 PM   #8
gandog56

Just got a Bubba'ed New England Westinghouse 91/30. He chopped the barrel, so I can't do anything about that. But the stock he some put on , even though it looks like he used a dull butter knife to whittle out the insides, I guess can be replaced by a synthetic sporter stock. My gunsmith has it right now to check the headspace. Him and I will figure out what to do when he catches up on some of his backlog.

It's a pure shame what Bubba did to this. But since I got it for a whole 71 bucks, I'll try to make a working something out of it.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:45 AM   #9
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Victory model Smith. I got it at a pawn shop for $170. I'll be replacing the cylinder stop, maybe get a smooth trigger to put in it, and work up some 158g LSWCHP loads for it.

Molwn labe!