The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 12, 2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Idaho 45 Vaquero

E. O. Tech sight on FAL

Howdy All,

I found a new E.O. Tech 512 sight available for quite a bit under the normal retail price. I don't really know anything specific about electronic or red dot sights or how they work.

The only gun I could use a sight on is a .308 FAL. I tried mounting a fullsize 4x scope on my FAL only to learn that my rifle isn't very accurate (5 inches at 100yds.) and hits just about as well with open sights. I'm now thinking that an electronic sight of some sort might be just the thing. I will still keep my iron sights on my FAL as backup.

Questions:
Is E.O. Tech 512 sights strong enough and reliable for the recoil of a 7.62x51mm?
How far forward do I have to mount it? It seems everybody puts them just over the magazine on their AR's. The reason I ask, is will it get in the way of my carry-handle?
What range are they still useful at? I'll be mainly shooting under 200yds. If I shoot farther than 200yd. it would only be if somebody was shooting at me; lob a few rounds around at them to let them know I'm ticked off.
Old September 12, 2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
Is E.O. Tech 512 sights strong enough and reliable for the recoil of a 7.62x51mm?
Absolutely.
Quote:
How far forward do I have to mount it? It seems everybody puts them just over the magazine on their AR's. The reason I ask, is will it get in the way of my carry-handle?
Depends upon what you want. I mostly mount an RDS forward to reduce the size of the dot. At 1" the circle will be 65" and the dot 1" at 100 yards. Move the scope forward and it reduces proportionally.

Quote:
What range are they still useful at? I'll be mainly shooting under 200yds. If I shoot farther than 200yd. it would only be if somebody was shooting at me; lob a few rounds around at them to let them know I'm ticked off.
Interesting philosophy. It is more than adequate for 200 yards.
Old September 13, 2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Fishbed77

The first question I'd ask myself is whether that EOtech 512 you found is still less expensive than an Aimpoint PRO, because, in my experience, the PRO is better in every respect (unless you are really married to the EOtech reticle).
Old September 13, 2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Venom1956

Also make sure it's actually a real eotech. There are tons of knockoffs and replicas. I don't mean to offend but I just thought I'd point that out.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 13, 2016, 10:24 PM   #5
snolden

I ran an Eotech 552 for several years and 1000's of rounds on my FAL with no problems. It is on an AR15 now.

Strangely enough, I took it off in order to mount a 1-4 scope on mine because they have all been accurate to 600+ yards. I average 2-3 MOA with the right surplus or ZQI. With hand loads I have no issue with 1.5-2.5 MOA.

I recommend new ammo or a barrel change. I also had one FAL that simply needed to be recrowned in order to bring the accuracy back.
Old September 14, 2016, 07:55 AM   #6
odugrad

I'm with Fishbed. If you can, I'd get an Aimpoint.

I'm surprised people are still considering EOTech with all their recent issues.

Get the Aimpoint and don't look back.
Old September 14, 2016, 08:56 AM   #7
Destructo6

Quote:
Depends upon what you want. I mostly mount an RDS forward to reduce the size of the dot. At 1" the circle will be 65" and the dot 1" at 100 yards. Move the scope forward and it reduces proportionally.
That is not true with an EoTech. The dot and ring are the same size, in relation to the target, regardless of how close/far it is from your eye. It will fill more of your sight's glass the further you move it forward, but it will be the same size on your target. The power of a hologram.

I'd think the EoTech would sit rather high, mounted on a FAL's dust cover.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 15, 2016, 09:27 PM   #8
snolden

The eotech sits high, but I pushed mine all the way out so half sat over the handguards and it worked well with a normal cheekweld.

Old September 15, 2016, 10:11 PM   #9
chicharrones

My EOTech experience is the same as yours Destructo.