The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 14, 2016, 09:43 AM   #1
P71pilot

New Colt brand magazine trouble

I recently received a Midway order which contained a Colt brand 7rd GI style 1911 magazine for my Springfield loaded model. Yesterday I got to test it for the first time. I had 1 fail to feed, with the cartridge (Winchester white box 230gr fmj, I know low quality ammo) halfway in the chamber, slide slightly stuck. A few minutes later I had a kind of stove pipe, but not exactly. Technically it was a failure to eject, but the spent casings head was wedged in the feed lips of mag, and the opening of the case was all mangled. I simply pulled the case out of the top of the mag and dropped the mag and continued to run it.

This 1911 works flawlessly with the factory Springfield 7rd GI style mags, as well as a kimber 8rd mag I have and a Wilson combat 7rd extended bottom mag with a polymer follower. I was loading all mags with 5rds and the Colt mag had 2 issues within about 20rds total fed through it. I noticed that with this magazine, the rounds aren't really being forced upward, they can easily be in a position that isn't all the way up where they should be. I give my mags a swift slap to the palm of my hand to help seat the rounds all the way rearward.

What do you guys think about this? I chose a Colt brand mag because it was affordable, it was 7rd GI style which I prefer, and it is the reknowned Colt brand (which I have heard are made by checkmate or metalform). I am mad that I may have wasted $22 when I could have just chosen a chip McCormick or metalform or Springfield magazine. This accounts for 3 malfunctions total from my 1911 in about 1400 +/- rds.
Old May 14, 2016, 10:30 AM   #2
BarryLee

First off I’ll freely admit I’m not a 1911 expert, but I’ve shot a lot recently using Colt magazines. While I’ve had zero issues this doesn’t mean that the same magazines will work in your gun. It is my understanding that certain 1911s may or may not like certain magazines. I realize it probably shouldn’t be this way, but apparently it is or at least that’s what I’ve read and/or been told. Maybe there’s a tweak that can get them to work or regrettably you may have to simply try another brand.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 14, 2016, 11:47 AM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
This 1911 works flawlessly with the factory Springfield 7rd GI style mags,
Also available and inexpensive, from Midway.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; May 16, 2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:54 AM   #4
g.willikers

It sounds like either the mag spring is weak, or maybe there's a burr or something on the inside of the mag causing the hangup.
Either one can be easily rectified.
If you have other working mags, the usual cure is to throw the danged thing in the trash and be done with it.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:08 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Probably not the case here, but some "Colt" magazines I have seen at gun shows were junk, and not made for or sold by Colt. Colt has tried to stop the fakers, but they simply say that "Colt" refers to the cartridge, not the company, and keep on peddling the trash.

Jim
Old May 16, 2016, 07:30 AM   #6
runningbear

If the Mag base plate does not say Colt with their horse Logo, it's not the real deal Colt Mag. there are a lot of knock offs sold everywhere.
Myself i have used Wilson Combat brand Mags for years, and their the best.
Old May 16, 2016, 08:04 AM   #7
Hawg

Colt has used a lot of manufacturers over the years. There will be a single letter on the baseplate to identify the maker. These are the most recent.

M=Metalform
C=Checkmate
O=Okay Industries
G=Mec-Gar
Old May 16, 2016, 08:55 AM   #8
runningbear

My Mags from two new full sized .45 Colts around five years since bought , are C Checkmates made in USA, and have worked great.

Tags
1911 , colt , magazine , malfunction