The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2016, 02:00 PM   #1
bcsi

Universal clays v universal

I have loaded 45 calibre using 200 grn cast bullets...I checked numerous sources and found 5.5 grains of universal...is that the same as universal clays...it isconfusing...anybody help?
Old May 10, 2016, 02:08 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Yes.
Old May 10, 2016, 04:07 PM   #3
FITASC

Universal Clays is the OLD name; too many found it confusing having Clays, Universal Clays, and International Clays. Since mfg has been moved and the formula changed slightly, remember to use the correct data for the powder you have.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 11, 2016, 02:30 AM   #4
noylj

Yes, and then someone used UNIVERSAL clays data for CLAYS and rocked their world.
Old May 11, 2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Jim Watson

If Clays, International Clays, and Universal Clays are confusing names, why does nobody have trouble keeping Red Dot, Green Dot, and Blue Dot apart?

"Load 33 grains of Dot in that there shell, boy."

Or Hodgdon and IMR numbers. "Why can't I load 60 grains of 4895 in my .270? Sure, I know you said 4831, but it's only 64 different. That ain't much out of 4000."

I do know people who refer to loading 5 grains of Vihtavuori. Vihtavuori WHAT? They make about 30 different grades.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:35 AM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
"Why can't I load 60 grains of 4895 in my .270? Sure, I know you said 4831,
Don't forget about IMR 4831 and H4831 and IMR 4895 and H4895. While close, not the same.

And let's not forget that the Clays family also works well in handguns, and using the wrong one there can be an issue.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 11, 2016, 12:01 PM   #7
mikld

Well, you can't change human nature, and some are quite easily confused. I suggest to new reloaders to find a load in a published manual, write the load down and tape it to the powder measure. Keep the powder bottle on the bench right next to the reloading "station". Sit down and review everything in front of you, reading aloud the powder charge and bullet. During the session, I suggest a double check every once in a while also noting the scale setting. It ain't as complicated nor time consuming as it sounds and it's help eliminate any loads of Green Dot loaded to Blue Dot levels...
Old May 11, 2016, 06:24 PM   #8
bcsi

Universal clays v universal

Knew I could count on you guys, thanks