The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 6, 2009, 01:59 PM   #1
masterhunter

Whats up with all the locked threads????

WHY????????
Old May 6, 2009, 02:03 PM   #2
The Great Mahoo

Ibl!

:d
Old May 6, 2009, 02:04 PM   #3
grymster2007

Maybe they're inappropriate? In any case I think threads about locked threads are usually locked.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:06 PM   #4
masterhunter

Quote:
Ibl!

:d
???
Old May 6, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
masterhunter

Cant be innappropriate....I've read a few and they seem innocent enough.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Threads are locked because they do not meet the expectations and/or rules of TFL.

Sometimes they're off-topic.

Sometimes they're "drive-bys".

Sometimes they're trolling.

Sometimes they've just degraded into a urination match.

In the Gun Show section the threads are closed by the OP when the item is gone.

Most of the time the Mod leaves an explanation for the closing. If not, just politely PM them, they'll explain.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:10 PM   #7
grymster2007

Quote:
Cant be innappropriate
Moderators may have a different opinion. Sometimes threads are just off topic, or are heading off topic, or people are starting to get rude, or.....

IBL - I think should read IBTL - I Beat The Lock

Looks like I beat the lock, but I couldn't beat peetza!

Last edited by grymster2007; May 6, 2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: peetza beat me to it... and did a better job of it!
Old May 6, 2009, 02:11 PM   #8
masterhunter

Oh I'm sure this thread will get locked too.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh I'm sure this thread will get locked too.
When the question gets answered it certainly will.

It will probably be moved also. See, "General Discussion" threads must be firearms related. This should have been in "Support, Questions and Tech Support".
Old May 6, 2009, 02:19 PM   #10
pax

The question was answered beautifully by Peetzakilla:

Quote:
Threads are locked because they do not meet the expectations and/or rules of TFL.

Sometimes they're off-topic.

Sometimes they're "drive-bys".

Sometimes they're trolling.

Sometimes they've just degraded into a urination match.

In the Gun Show section the threads are closed by the OP when the item is gone.

Most of the time the Mod leaves an explanation for the closing. If not, just politely PM them, they'll explain.
Close or move ...? Close or move ...?

Move, I guess. It's definitely off-topic in this forum, and the question's been quite adequately answered, and the moderators as a group (or me personally) will get called names no matter what I do -- but maybe some others will want to weigh in before the dead horse becomes too rancid.

pax
Old May 6, 2009, 02:34 PM   #11
B. Lahey

And some are just endlessly repetitive...

"This thief wants $60 for .380! Get the torches and pitchforks!"

"Where are the primers?"

"HR45 oh no I soiled myself!"

"Walmart doesn't have the ammo I want! Communist conspiracy!"
Old May 6, 2009, 02:46 PM   #12
ilbob

Personally, I had not noticed an unusual number of locked threads lately.

I am convinced there is a certain degree of randomness in selecting threads to be locked and posts to be deleted.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old May 6, 2009, 03:26 PM   #13
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbob
Personally, I had not noticed an unusual number of locked threads lately.

I am convinced there is a certain degree of randomness in selecting threads to be locked and posts to be deleted.
They're mods, not gods... they can't be everywhere.

Actually, I've thought the number of locked threads may have been going down a bit lately, after a sort of post-election burst of them... perhaps as a lot of new members start noticing what the culture is around here, and begin to tone things down a bit?
Old May 6, 2009, 03:46 PM   #14
grymster2007

Quote:
That's it! Bud randomly selects my posts to delete! Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the off-topic, inappropriate drivel I've splashed all over the screen after all!
Old May 6, 2009, 04:18 PM   #15
CortJestir

Quote:
And some are just endlessly repetitive...

"This thief wants $60 for .380! Get the torches and pitchforks!"

"Where are the primers?"

"HR45 oh no I soiled myself!"

"Walmart doesn't have the ammo I want! Communist conspiracy!"
<chuckle> So true. So true.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:33 PM   #16
Trooper Tyree

One thing I have noticed about this site is the number of threads that are locked, I've never been on a site with such prolific locking. It's kind of annoying.

On the other hand, being a mod on another site myself, I understand why they do as they do, although I do think they be a might triggerhappy. It is important to have a clear guideline to follow and keep a firm hand however.

A suggestion, instead of locking some of the more trivial drivel threads or those in blatant violation of the T&C's, why not move them into the mods lounge? This keeps the forums from being cluttered up with locked threads, you have a record of the thread, and if a supermod or admin disagrees they are free to move it back, otherwise it slowly fades away neatly tucked out of sight and out of mind in the mods area, and we users don't have to keep tripping over them out in the public area.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:44 PM   #17
grymster2007

Quote:
A suggestion, instead of locking some of the more trivial drivel threads or those in blatant violation of the T&C's, why not move them into the mods lounge? This keeps the forums from being cluttered up with locked threads, you have a record of the thread, and if a supermod or admin disagrees they are free to move it back, otherwise it slowly fades away neatly tucked out of sight and out of mind in the mods area, and we users don't have to keep tripping over them out in the public area.
Often times locked threads have plenty of on-topic information that would be lost under your suggestion.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:54 PM   #18
Bud Helms

And some members need to see what gets a thread closed. Reading that closed thread and the closing statement gives you a clue or two if you're looking for one ... or two.

I see no value in hiding closed threads. What would that accomplish?

IBTL = In Before The Lock or I Beat The Lock ... pretty much qualifies as a useless post.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:08 AM   #19
Dr. Strangelove

This is the reason I keep returning to The Firing Line. It's a well-run board with an abundance of good information. There are plenty of "wild west" boards out there for those who like that sort of thing. I have noticed a higher number of threads being closed lately, which I think is a good thing. It seems to be stemming from a combination of a large influx of new members with perhaps not so good a grasp on board etiquette and existing rules being more strictly enforced.

Go to the "Tactics and Training" section of this board, find a thread longer than three pages or so and you will invariably see why threads get closed. When they get that long, the thread has generally degenerated into an insult-fest that needs to be taken to email or private message.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:34 AM   #20
johnwilliamson062

IBTL

Like others said, the reason I spend most(basically all), of my online firearms time here is b/c it is so well regulated.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:56 AM   #21
Dingoboyx

Mentioning how much you like Glocks

Is a good way of getting a thread locked

I think the Mods wait to see if a thread is going some where, or just going nowhere or as someone said, it turns political or into an insult-a-thon or just plain gets too silly & pointless

People who push too many buttons too often get the dreaded PM from the Mod God, after that, I dont know what happens? A bolt of lightening zaps out of your screen and hits you between the eyes? your keyboard turns to mush? Dunno.... best just not to push mods buttons, remember, they have to put up with alot of doo doo all day long.... I dont blame them for being a bit short/quick to lock... but generally, they are pretty right on the money
Old May 7, 2009, 09:14 AM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

"What's up with all the locked threads?

WHHHYYY????"

Because it's a moderator's sworn duty to annoy you, and only you.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:34 AM   #23
cracked91

He he I have seen some locked threads that have been delete, examples um, "girls with guns", and when mastercast went off the deep end. . . what was that thread called again? Hilarious anyway, everyone gets a good laugh over watching a P!ssing match from the sidelines, to bad TFL is against it

Anyway in the case of the locked thread you can usually see why. When you click on a thread and read the question, you want to reply to it. But sometimes the conversation has gone so far off it would take you a half an hour to really get the gist of what they are talking about now, because it has nothing to do with the original question.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:30 PM   #24
pax

masterhunter,

I should add that sometimes, basically-good members who have no track record of acting poorly on TFL go off the deep end for some unknown reason. Maybe they just got drunk one night, or maybe their wife left 'em and their dog died and they lost their job. Maybe they just had a really bad day. Whatever. In those cases, if the misbehavior only happens once, and the member has been a good contributing member for more than a little while, instead of banning them outright we might choose a different route. We might instead delete the member's ugly posts, and perhaps close a thread or two they derailed, and drop them a note telling 'em not to do it again. Mind you, we don't have to do it that way, but sometimes we do. The member, once he's sobered up or otherwise recovered, usually appreciates it.

That's not common, but it does happen.

And sometimes when other members stumble across the scars from such a cleanup, they wonder what's going on. They might even suspect that the moderators have gone crazy and gotten mean -- not realizing that the closed/deleted stuff is evidence of moderator kindness, rather than evidence of moderator meanness.

pax
Old May 7, 2009, 09:44 PM   #25
Hellbilly5000

The only question I have is why some threads aren't locked sooner. I happen to enjoy the fact that the mods are so active in keeping the junk out. The only improvement to the site I would suggest is a section for normal b.s. that we can all interact on appropriately that does not have to be gun related. Other then that The mods seem to be doing a good job and I have no issues with them.