The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 5, 2008, 01:22 PM   #1
pecci

A Couple Of Questions

I have wanted to own a "Cowboy SA Revolver" for years now. I was wondering if it could effectively serve as a "hunting revolver as well." I have always wanted to go on a javelina hunt, and thought it would be exiting to use a genuine cowboy gun when the time comes. I figure I could enjoy it, otherwise, shooting targets and maybe even getting involved in some "cowboy action shooting"!

My questions are:

1) When hunting ... obviously, accuracy is imperative. I realize that "cowboy revolvers" have fixed sights, and may not shoot where they are pointed. Can any of the available six-guns be counted on to shoot to the point of aim? Is there a manufacturer/model that one can count on, or do individual guns very?

2) Do any of you hunt with your SA revolvers? If so, what revolver do you hunt with, and what is your quarry?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
Old December 5, 2008, 06:32 PM   #2
kevinarmstrong

I have been researching this for a while and finally decided to buy some nice Ruger Vaqueros for cowboy action shooting. However, if I was going to buy a SA to hunt, I would buy a Ruger Blackhawk. They have adjustable sights and people say they use them to hunt alot. To me, they look cowboy enough to take to a match, too.

I am just getting into this sport, too. As I understand it, lots of people use Blackhawks depending on what class you enter into, they are fine.
Old December 5, 2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Hawg

A Ruger is not a cowboy gun it just kinda looks like one.

Pecci, No gun manufacturer can guarantee a fixed sight revolver to hit POA, there's too many variables. In fact the front sights on Uberti's are left tall so you can file them down to your loads. Uberti's shoot low out of the box. I have two and both hit POA laterally but it's not always the case. There are a few tricks to move POA on a fixed sight revolver but the ones I've had that were off I just learned to aim where they hit. As far as hunting with a Colt clone I personally wouldn't do it. They won't handle the loads a heavy Ruger will but if you can get a shot at 25-30 yds. and you're good enough with one it will do the job. If you want the gun for hunting get a Ruger with adjustable sights. If you want historical accuracy get a Colt clone.
Old December 5, 2008, 08:26 PM   #4
kevinarmstrong

Hawg, dare I say a Ruger is a *New and Improved* shootin' iron

...ducks and runs
Old December 5, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well the Ruger is "new and improved" in just about every way over the guns of the 19th century. Were it not for the romance of "cowboy guns" the single action would have gone to gun heaven years ago (it did in 1941, but was revived by TV Westerns after WWII).

Jim
Old December 5, 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

The disadvantage of adjustable sights is that it's once it's adjusted, it's only good for a specific distance. With a fixed sight, that's also fixed, but there's less to go wrong (drift). You just have to practice with it until you know its hold at various distances. BTW, you have to do the same with an adjustable sight gun once that sight is adjusted.
Old December 5, 2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg, dare I say a Ruger is a *New and Improved* shootin' iron
You certainly may but new and improved isn't always better, at least for some of us. I've owned a couple of Ruger SA's. Didn't keep them long. Ruger lockwork is nothing like a Colt. Call me old school, over the hill, a dinosaur or whatever but I'll take a Colt clone over a Ruger anytime. Actually my last Ruger was an old model Vaquero Bisley in .44 mag. I traded it for a Uberti 73 Colt clone in 44-40. If you like Rugers go for it. I'll pass. Nothing like a half cock loading, hammer mounted firing pin, four click cocking pistol to put a big S^!T eatin grin on your face. A Ruger can't do that.
Old December 5, 2008, 09:50 PM   #8
kevinarmstrong

Hawg, I sorta have to agree. There is nothing like hearing those 4 clicks on a Colt (or clone).
Old December 5, 2008, 10:09 PM   #9
freedom475

I had a Millenium revolver that shot just great...had to file the sight down to bring the POI up, but after that it was just fine. The "Colt" style just seems to mate with you.

Had a Ruger OM Vacaro 44mag and it hit VERY well also. The little narrow front sight made hits on my 200 yard 12inch square gong almost easy.

I would have NO problem hunting big game with either revolver in 45colt...With a hit to the ribs you can kill elk even with a 22LR. If you are close enough to hit something in the head the impact of a 45colt will drop most anything.

You can get the Vacaro in 44mag and still use it for cowboy shoots with reduced loads.

I would buy used if I want fixed sights...this way if it hits 8inches left you can just sell it for what you bought it for and try again.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."