The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 24, 2008, 03:32 PM   #1
HutchyD

eotech/aimpoint: which works better with 3x magnifier?

So I bought a bushy ar at the tanner gunshow a couplemonths ago and I've been waiting to put an optic on it. I had planned on putting an acog on it until recently, when I begn to think that a red do or reflex sight would be better for this rifle, espcially after reading avery popular article on defensive rifle optics. This rifle has a mid lenth yhm four rail freefloat.
Mostly just a range gun but I also like to think of it as my shtf (or jic) gun, which is why iwqs thinking a cqb style optic might be best. I can't really see the need to reach so far in an emergency scenario. In addition, ihave every intention of one day owning a bolt action rifle for shootin distances with a proper scope.
I am wondering if anyone has experience with these two most popular varieties of cqb optic AND it's proprietary 3x magnifier. I ask becausei fully intend on adding this later in partway substitution for the acog.
... I was wondering about the eotech... Can the bottom of the 65moa ring be use as a sort of makeshift bdc when using the 3x mag?? I think that'd be a huge plus. Is the eotech the proper height to co-locate with solid front and flip up rear iron sight? Thanks to anyone who wants to chip in 2ć
Old September 24, 2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Jermtheory

Quote:
Can the bottom of the 65moa ring be use as a sort of makeshift bdc when using the 3x mag??
i dont see why not,it can be used as such without a magnifier.the magnifier should magnify everything equally(target and ret).

i personally would go with the Aimpoint based on battery life and durability...both especially important for "SHTF".
Old September 24, 2008, 06:11 PM   #3
SimpleIsGood229

Yes, the EOTech will co-witness with BUIS.