The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2000, 10:16 PM   #1
Bushwhacker

Ijust recently purchased a Winchester Defender 12ga.
In great shape going to use it for home defense and need to know what the best type of loads to use for it.
Can I use slugs in it?
Thanks.

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza
Old January 8, 2000, 11:54 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

Most Defenders are cylinder bore and a few Modified choke. Slugs are okay through either. Just be sure you have correct gauge 12 or 20 and length 2 3/4 or 3". Most new 1300 Defenders are all 3". You can shoot 2 3/4" and 3" from 3". But can't shoot 3" in 2 3/4". Slugs are good for a distance shot and deep penetration. Not likely to occur in household defense. But who can say. Many folks vary on their ammo. Some would recommend #00 Buck and #2 or #00 Buck and #4. In slugs, go with a 1 oz. it has less recoil. You could go to your local outdoor range and test pattern the shot, so you know what it does at what distances. Then you can make up your mind what to use. I'm sure others will have different shells that they recommend.

------------------
Courage is only fear that has said its prayers.

Old January 9, 2000, 03:28 PM   #3
Matt19

I'll second Ned, and I have been extremely pleased with my Winchester. I think you have made an excellent purchase. Just my opinion.

------------------
Maintain eternal vigilance. It is the people who are prisoners of their own ignorance about firearms that pose the greatest threat to our 2nd Amendment Rights.

Old January 10, 2000, 08:49 PM   #4
plateshooter

I use my 1300 Defender for the plate games, and the shotgun IPSC type shoots my local club puts on. I pound the heck out of that gun, and it's never let me down. For me, it's the fastest, smoothest pump gun out there. I keep 7 1/2 target loads for HD. The longest shot I can get inside my house is about 22'. I figure the target loads at that range should handle the job with minimum over penetration. Just my opinion.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter
Old January 11, 2000, 07:02 PM   #5
blades67

Like plateshooter, I used 7 1/2 shot for HD. I now use my Mini-14 for HD.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old January 12, 2000, 02:38 AM   #6
Gord LaForge

I use a 1300 defender for HD. My load of choice is 00 buck. I wouldnt want to use slugs as penetration through walls could be an issue. I use the slugs for fishing trips where bears share the river with me. I like the 7 1/2 birdshot idea there guys. Next time Im up at the range Ill see what happens at 7 yds to the target.
Cheers,
Gord.

------------------
Shooting true with my .22 beats him giving me jive with his .45
Old January 12, 2000, 05:48 PM   #7
jacko

I use #1Buck for H.D.. The ballistics and distance used for this round is perfect for H.D.. Over penetration is not a worry either.
When i was in somalia i had 00Buck and slug loaded in my mossberg. But then again over penetration was not a worry.

------------------
""Always Watch Your Six""