The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 19, 2016, 08:18 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Forward directing brakes

http://www.kineti-tech.com/kineti-te...leeve-2-piece/

I think there are a few other designs out there. Anyone use one? Any comments? Compared to just a barrel without any sort of brake? Seems like the sleeve would simply negate the effect of the brake.
I'm mostly interested in pushing the sound wave forward, but don't see how this would be better than a normal barrel.
Old September 19, 2016, 11:48 PM   #2
bedlamite

I've got an ARP JAL and a Troy Claymore, both are linear compensators. They don't reduce recoil, what they do is cut the muzzle flash way down and direct the worst of the shockwave away from the shooter. Good choice for a hunting rifle where you can't have a supressor. Other options are Kaw Valley and Black River Tactical.
Old September 20, 2016, 04:52 AM   #3
rightside

I've used this one. Seems to work well and looks good to me, anyway.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw_...ear223-blk.htm
Old September 20, 2016, 07:43 AM   #4
tobnpr

I just installed one of those exact brakes on a customer's rifle (he purchased it) a few weeks ago. I'll try to get in touch with him to see if he's had a chance to try it out.

Looked to me, as though it's main effect/purpose would be to make it "range friendly"- effectively nullifying side blast and noise when needed. I don't see how it could have any recoil-reducing effect with the shroud in place.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 20, 2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Old Bill Dibble

I have something similar on one of my 5.56 AR's. It is a better quality and different design. I recently put it on there.

The gun also has a heavy buffer. Without the can on the end there is zero recoil. Nada, zip, zilch. I can fire a strong of shots in a group as fast as I can pull the trigger. It is loud as hell.

With the can on there is some very mild recoil, say just above .22lr with zero muzzle rise. There is a slight jerk of inertia to one side or the other. The sound drops down to about what it was with just a flash suppressor.
Old September 21, 2016, 08:05 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
It is loud as hell.
From the shooters position? The side? I assume you haven't tested forward of the rifle.
Could you link to the product you are using?

If it reduces noise to shooter and those adjacent more than a bare barrel I am interested in one. I just don't see how the shroud would do that. I can see where you get the flash suppression + forward direction of sound wave, but flash has never bothered me shooting in day light, so I have maybe one or two long arms where that would have any relevance.
Old September 21, 2016, 08:33 AM   #7
rickyrick

I have a linear comp on my 5.56 pistol... It helps with the noise and blast.
Old September 21, 2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
From the shooters position? The side? I assume you haven't tested forward of the rifle.
From the shooters position.
Quote:
Could you link to the product you are using?
http://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-...ystem-mbm-crd/

It is this one but I did not pay near that much for it. The shroud has a bunch of tiny holes drilled in it allowing some gas to escape all around it.
Old September 21, 2016, 06:09 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

I can see why that would be loud all around. Lots of little holes probably isn't any better than a few big ones. The interaction of the many pressure waves might spread it more. I don't know about that, but someone here might.
Old September 21, 2016, 06:18 PM   #10
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
I can see why that would be loud all around. Lots of little holes probably isn't any better than a few big ones. The interaction of the many pressure waves might spread it more. I don't know about that, but someone here might.
I have never measured it. I might get the Db meter out this weekend and play with it. It just doesn't seem any louder than with just a flash hider. But without that shroud on it, oh boy, you won't shoot that much without some serious hearing protection.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."