The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
597flx

Trap Shooting

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and wanted to get some information to aid in the purchase of a new shotgun.

I have been shooting trap 1-2 days a week and really getting into it. I am currently using my father in laws shotgun and while it is working great I want to get my own. I am in the $1000 or under category and wanted to check with the experts on what is currently of good quality in a new purchase.

I really wanted to buy a Remington model 870 wingmaster. It was always renowned as a highly reliable and quality shotgun that everyone swears by. It is my understanding that since Remington was bought out by the hedge fund guys the quality has fallen through the floor. My friend was just in Cabelas and he saw rack after rack of used Remington shotguns for sale. It seemed that a lot of the new purchasers had troubles and sent them to the used gun racks.

I have been reading all that I can on this model and see two things...

1) Guys with older model 870s swear by them and feel there is nothing better.
2) Guys with new ones can't get the shells to cycle and advise to stay far away from them.

I wanted to get some opinions on the Remingtons and then ask what you would recommend for a trap gun. I am looking for the thousand dollar budget in either a pump or autoloader with a 28 or 30 inch barrel with my preference being a pump.

If you have any other manufacturers that fit that criteria I would appreciate hearing.

Thanks in advance.
Old June 22, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Ricklin

Why??

Why pump or autoloader? A pump is an unneccesary handicap for doubles. A break open gun just handles so nicely on the trap field.
Old June 22, 2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Read this forum. The "870s are now junk" myth has been pretty well busted.

But do not buy a trap gun yet.

A well spoken, polite new trapshooter at any range I frequent will get lots of advice and get handed lots of shotguns to try out. Trust me.

After handling and shooting a variety of guns, you'll have a better idea of what will work for you.
Old June 23, 2010, 07:03 AM   #4
oneounceload

I'll second Dave's advice about trying as many as you can - shouldering them in a big box store does nothing compared to actually trying them.

IF, after that, you decide this is your game, a trap-specific gun like the Browning BT-99 is within your budget, should you choose to go that route
Old June 23, 2010, 09:00 AM   #5
JWT

Most trap shooters are very glad to let you handle their guns and many will be quite happy to let you shoot a few trial shots with them. As Dave and oneounceload have suggested, do that and then make a decision on what kind of shotgun you want to consider buying. If price is a concern don't be afraid to look for a good used gun of your choice.
Old June 23, 2010, 09:43 AM   #6
BANG

I agree with JWT. I started out just as you, and used my Mossberg 500 to obtain my first 25-straight. I have since purchased an O/U -- the Browing Cirori 625 Sporting with adjustable comb, which I also use for Sporting Clays. The reason I did this is because I believe, from what "experts" have said, that a field gun will not stand up to the constant shooting as in Trap, even with the lower powder charges. If you can add a little to your budget, I would suggest a 12 gauge made for Trap, like the Browning BT-99 (starting at about $1500 catalog list price). I believe that a "break-action" gun is best for trap, whether a single shot like the BT-99 or double barrel like the O/U. Good luck, and may you dust a lot of birds.

Last edited by BANG; June 23, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old June 23, 2010, 09:58 AM   #7
pythagorean

My trap gun in college (Reno Nevada, yes, had a trapshooting class that I was happy to take for two years) was the Remington 870 Wingmaster Deluxe in 12 gauge. It had a modified choke.

For singles it worked fine. For doubles it got to be tricky pumping that action.

I'd either go 870 or 1100. 1100 if you do doubles.
Old June 23, 2010, 12:06 PM   #8
BigJimP

You've gotten good advice - and trying a number of guns before you buy is always smart / especially before you settle on a dedicated Trap gun.

But if you just want your own gun / there is nothing wrong with a good pump gun as well. I don't think the 870 is a bad gun / but in a pump gun I prefer the Browning BPS and it retails new for around $ 525 or so. I would recommend a serious look at the BPS Hunter model with a 28" barrel. I think its a pump gun that you will be proud to have in your safe for many years -even if you move on to other dedicated guns down the road. I still have the BPS's I bought ( a 12 and 20ga ) in the early 1970's ...

In terms of a dedicated Trap gun / I prefer the Browning Citori XT in a 32" O/U. Its a little longer and heavier - but that's a plus in a Trap gun - it helps in your followthru. I have single barrel Trap guns / BT-99 and BT-100 but I go back to the Citori XT for confidence.

Affordable semi-autos / Beretta 390 or 391 series is a good choice but tough to keep it under $1,000. Another gun I've seen around lately is the Browning Silver hunter series -selling new for around $ 900. But I think you'll find some options out there in new and used semi-autos too.
Old June 23, 2010, 04:48 PM   #9
zippy13

Try before you buy and you'll probably get a BT-99.
Old June 23, 2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Ivo Suarez

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a pump for trap. Sure, you'll be at a disadvantage compared to an O/U, but you'll become a better shooter if you can control your sight alignment while pumping. I consistently hit doubles with my cheap pump 12ga. I agree with trying out different shotguns to get a feel for what you like, though. Good luck with whatever you end up buying.
Old June 29, 2010, 12:13 AM   #11
olddrum1

What Z13 said.
Old June 30, 2010, 09:10 PM   #12
597flx

Well thank you all for your responses. It helped me make my decision.

I am not quite ready to invest in a break action shotgun (money and I'm a little green).

I am a new trap shooter and all through my sports career I was always a little critical of the new guy to a sport who had all the best and most fashionable equipment. I believe in the old saying that "it's the gunner not the gun".

I took to heart the advise that a field gun won't hold up to heavy use and didn't want to burn up my father in law's beautiful old, Italian shotgun. I agree that the design of a break is perfect for 5 rounds of trap several times a week.

I hope to shoot doubles someday so I didn't want to get a single barrel break action.

Also the thread on Remington quality was quite fascinating. I made a big sandwich and ate it with a beer and a bag of chips as I read through that thread. I noted that the quality of the older model 870's were above reproach so when I found a gently used wingmaster with a 30" barrel on Gunbroker I jumped at it. It should arrive within a week and I hope and made the right decision. In a year or so if I am still doing well and look like a real trap shooter I will probably invest in a break action.

I want to thank all who contribruted to my education. I'll write again when I shot a few rounds with the new shotgun. Thanks, everyone!
Old June 30, 2010, 10:00 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Before you make the jump to a break action, put a Monte Carlo stock on that pump. It will let you see the rising bird as you shoot and help you get hits.

The friend who started me out in trap got me a deal on an 1100TA.
It is 30+ years later and I still prefer the gas gun after dalliances with pumps, singles, and O/Us because it kicks me around less than the fixed breech guns.
Old July 1, 2010, 09:12 AM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good choice. Everyone needs an 870.

You may want to add some weight for trap. Field guns get carried lots and shot a little, trap guns do not get toted much but 200 rounds a day is not unusual.

Patterning is as crucial as oxygen. Get your pattern shooting a little high for trap. See the archives for info on how to adjust your POI.

1 oz or even 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads will break birds very well and not "Kick you around" as much.

HTH....
Old July 2, 2010, 09:34 PM   #15
Wilkenstein

Nice pickup. If you decide to keep looking then check out a beretta 390AL. Some Wal Marts carry this gun for less than $600. It's ugly, but it get the job done and keeps going bang.
Old July 3, 2010, 12:03 AM   #16
Kitsap

One thing to consider before you start buying..... you've started out shooting trap and you'll probably get hooked shooting doubles and Continental but you may also find yourself wanting to shoot Skeet. Skeet shooting is a slightly different skill set from what I've learned and it may benefit from having a gun with screw-in chokes.

In any case, I've been shooting trap for a few years now and I've found that good used double barrel guns are out there and can be had for a reasonable price but you need to know how to judge the FIT of the gun before you buy. If it doesn't fit then you're stuck with having to make it fit.

Frankly, the problem I have with shooting trap (Continental particularly) is that the range isn't open every day and I have yet to figure out how to get paid to shoot trap......
Old July 3, 2010, 02:20 AM   #17
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsap
I have yet to figure out how to get paid to shoot trap……
It's easy, play all the purses and options and don't miss any targets.