Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 4, 2008, 08:59 PM   #26
rb4browns

Quote:
I guess when it fails me I'll die.
LOL, fair enough.
Old March 5, 2008, 06:10 PM   #27
bufordtjustice

I realize you had to make a decision in a hurry and, not being there, I won't second guess your decision. I would like to ask a question/ make a comment. I personally would have been concerned of having my back to them as I passed AND rolling through a stop sign. What was your field of view like? Given the facts you articulaated, I might have stopped short of them maintaining direction of travel, and challenged them if they approached me. You could always articulate you were slowing down to stop at the stop sign. As I said, that is not having the "lay of the land". Feel free to share a little more info.
Old March 6, 2008, 01:26 PM   #28
NJ-Dirtrdr

LOL!!!

Lurper, I've seen most of your vids, and have learned an aweful lot from them, so thanks for the free instruction. Having said that, I guess these guys are clearly not privy to one of your chosen passions. I'll be expecting a video on "Accurate One-handed shooting from a Bicycle" in the near future.

It's probably a good thing these guys haven't seen your videos I guess. We don't need these scoundrels learning anything more than the tactics they absorb from MTV.

Actual question: I cycle as well, and find I cannot carry on the waist b/c my forward posture makes it print so bad. So I keep it in my camelback instead...which would clearly not be as worthwhile in this situation. I see you use a Galco IWB, but how is the printing or do you have a secondary cover garment
Old March 6, 2008, 08:18 PM   #29
Stevie-Ray

I use a Glock 26 in an Uncle Mike's Kydex at 3 o'clock. I wear my safety vest over it, and had an occasion to simply lift the vest over the gun, once. That alone was enough to change the direction of a possible encounter.

My bike probably looks more expensive than it was, due to the disc brakes. It was only $500, but by God, it's mine.
Old March 6, 2008, 08:27 PM   #30
Bogie

A while back, St. Louis' Forest Park had a plague of "golfers." These youts would show up near the course, carrying a golf club or two... They'd go for lone joggers or bicyclists... And they'd usually blindside 'em from cover.

You got VERY lucky.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old March 6, 2008, 09:08 PM   #31
Lurper

Quote:
I personally would have been concerned of having my back to them as I passed AND rolling through a stop sign.
I was travelling west on the North side of the road. The 4 way stop was in front of me. They were on the west (opposite of me) side of the 4 way stop sign also on the north side of the street. So, I passed through the stop signs before I reached them.

Quote:
Actual question: I cycle as well, and find I cannot carry on the waist b/c my forward posture makes it print so bad. So I keep it in my camelback instead...which would clearly not be as worthwhile in this situation. I see you use a Galco IWB, but how is the printing or do you have a secondary cover garment
Thanks for the compliment. I am not worried about printing, I carry in the open when I ride. That's what made it even more comical to me.

Quote:
You got VERY lucky.
Not to sound arrogant, but I think he got way luckier than I did.
Old March 7, 2008, 10:36 AM   #32
CrimsonZ28

In the case you are knocked off the bike and the perp grabs your bike and they both take off, how should this be handled? Obviously someone with a CCW knows not to begin wildly firing their weapon. Would this situation be grounds for using your weapon since, it would most definitely be a life threatening situation if the perps go as far as knocking you off your bike? Would there be a grey area pertaining to the fact that they are fleeing and no longer attacking you?
Old March 7, 2008, 02:37 PM   #33
johngalt

How much trouble do you have with the police while open carrying on your bike?

I bicycle in the Cincinnati area, and have had a few events that make me want to carry. Unfortunately, around here, apparently the police have made it known that they will arrest anyone who does open carry on trumped up "inducing panic" charges, even though it is legal.

Any suggestions for dealing with the police? I've been considering trying to make an appointment with the town police chief to discuss it. I was thinking of describing the events, and that I intend to (legally) open carry on my bike, and that I would appreciate it if his officers were informed that it is legal.

I'm sure that he would try to dissuade me, but without being obnoxious about it, I want to explain that understand I am within my rights to do so; and even if unpopular, I don't need his permission or blessing.
Old March 9, 2008, 01:11 PM   #34
Murdock

It's not "theory". It's real

Quote:
I knew from the time I saw the kid what was going to happen and that I would not be injured. It was like a precognative experience.
I've had this same experience in a few different contexts, but only one of these was an armed encounter. You know ahead of time how a threatening event involving a complex sequence of events is going to work out. Subjectively, I experienced a calming influence when this has occurred, which operationalized itself as confidence and resolve.

Having ruminated about this phenomenon at some length, I have come to believe that much of what some might label as "psychic" or "precognitive" is actually the product of a high-speed calculating mechanism in the brain that is tied to our sympathetic nervous system.

I'm glad to have had someone else articulate this kind of experience. Thanks.
Old March 9, 2008, 01:24 PM   #35
Lurper

Quote:
In the case you are knocked off the bike and the perp grabs your bike and they both take off, how should this be handled? Obviously someone with a CCW knows not to begin wildly firing their weapon. Would this situation be grounds for using your weapon since, it would most definitely be a life threatening situation if the perps go as far as knocking you off your bike? Would there be a grey area pertaining to the fact that they are fleeing and no longer attacking you?
That depends on the jurisdiction. If you shoot as he knocks you off of the bike, it probably won't be an issue. If you shoot as he rides away, it probably will. In some states (Texas, for example) there wouldn't be an issue either way probably. But, AZ does not allow lethal force in defense of property.

Quote:
How much trouble do you have with the police while open carrying on your bike?
Short answer: none.

Quote:
Any suggestions for dealing with the police? I've been considering trying to make an appointment with the town police chief to discuss it. I was thinking of describing the events, and that I intend to (legally) open carry on my bike, and that I would appreciate it if his officers were informed that it is legal.
Find an attorney who will take your case pro bono if you get arrested. Get yourself arrested, go through the trial, set a precedent so that it can't happen in other cities.

If open carry is legal, it should be legal. A confrontation with the cheif could be counter productive. Does your state have preemption? I would try to enlist the help of whatever pro gun organizations are in your area and see what they advise.
Old March 9, 2008, 02:18 PM   #36
Rustic

Lurper, good to hear about someone bicycling to and from work, and congrats on giving that young fellow something to think about.

Strongarming a bike just blows my mind.

Nonetheless, all bicyclists are at the mercy of all motorvehicles. Make sure no one covets that 1911 enough to trash you for it. I am sure you've developed good survival skills in that environment, but hope you can benefit from safety in numbers.
Old March 14, 2008, 02:40 PM   #37
CraigC

I also agree that you handled it properly. I probably would've done the same thing.

Quote:
I knew from the time I saw the kid what was going to happen and that I would not be injured. It was like a precognative experience. Since I knew what the outcome would be, I wasn't worried about it. But I also felt no urge to avoid the confrontation. As I mentioned, it has happened before. I find it fascinating but cannot explain it.
That's mighty interesting. Never heard it described like that. I had a similar experience a few years ago as a field tech in a situation involving an enraged biker-type with a rifle. Somehow I just "knew" and didn't even let it ruin my day. Glad I was right!
Old March 16, 2008, 07:30 PM   #38
thebaldguy

I have been in similar situations on my mountain bike around town. I try to stay alert for these situations. I have avoided some possible confrontations by avoiding them. I turn around, kick it in turbo mode, and avoid the potential problem. Peek over you shoulder as you split to see if they will chase you. If it takes a few extra minutes, so be it. It's not worth the hassle.
Old March 16, 2008, 08:00 PM   #39
FrontSight

Nice one. In retrospect, it would have been funny if you told him "It's gonna be really hard for you to pedel with a shot foot".
Old March 18, 2008, 01:24 PM   #40
markj

Whatt???? you didnt shoot his kneecaps off?

Good sense there, glad you got away and suffered no harm.