The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 10, 2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Alabama Shooter

MO Legislature Declares Federal Gun Laws Unenforceable

The law also legalizes open carry everywhere and allow school officers to arm themselves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ock:Position18

MO is the latest state to pass such legislation.

Quote:
In addition to declaring federal gun laws unenforceable, the bill would allow concealed weapons to be carried by designated school personnel in school buildings. It would allow appointed "protection officers" to carry concealed weapons, as long as they have a valid permit and register with the state department of public safety. The officers would also be required to complete a training course. The bill would also allow people with a firearms permit to openly carry weapons less than 16in long, even in localities that prohibit open-carry of firearms.

Last edited by Tom Servo; May 10, 2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Copyright
Old May 10, 2013, 02:10 PM   #2
dakota.potts

The bill also said it covered the GCA of 1934 and 1968. That includes NFA registry, background checks, anything like that
Old May 10, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
csmsss

Presumably, MO is reserving the right for itself to declare any and all federal laws unenforceable in that state? Should make for some interesting briefs when this hits the federal courts.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Lucas McCain

Heres betting that they will run into the same problem that Kansas did. Is it possible that history is repeating its self. The last civil war started on the Kansas /Missouri border over states rights.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:23 PM   #5
motorhead0922

More importantly, it does 3 more things:
1. Allows open carry state-wide. No local ordinance can prohibit it.
2. Lowers the age for CCW from 21 to 19.
3. Allows CCW holders to carry in schools, after training. This one is redundant I think, because CCW holders could already carry with the superintendent's permission.

Governor Nixon would be foolish to veto it. The house and senate have veto-proof majorities.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Alabama Shooter

Here is the voting record on the bill:

http://www.mdn.org/2013/FORMS/VOTEVI...13&ne_vote=913

(no real surprises there)

Text of the Bill:

http://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bil...df/HB0436T.pdf

This bill is a much bigger omnibus than I thought.

- Completely unenforceable would be the declaratory judgments paragraph.

- An interesting paragraph states that CCL holders can not be disarmed by a LEO when legally open carrying unless under arrest.

- Medical Professionals would not be allowed to ask about firearms unless medically necessary.

- As noted lowers Concealed Carry to age 19
Old May 14, 2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

Alabama Shooter, thanks for posting the information.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old May 15, 2013, 08:00 PM   #8
raimius

I thought we decided the whole "Nullification" issue a while ago.

Are they expecting SCOTUS to reverse their series of early 1800s rulings? I'm all for gun rights, but passing laws that won't pass tests based on the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution won't help us very much.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

We did, Raimius.

These laws are all symbolic, as long as the SCOTUS adheres to the expanded commerce clause rulings that started with Wickard.
Old May 16, 2013, 06:17 AM   #10
wally626

The law still has some positives, such as lowering the permit age to 19, preempting local carry laws for persons with a permit, sort of like Philadelphia.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Alabama Shooter

I do wonder if a court strikes down part of the law if they will strike down all of it? I guess it is up to the court challenge.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:15 AM   #12
csmsss

Quote:
I do wonder if a court strikes down part of the law if they will strike down all of it? I guess it is up to the court challenge.
That will likely depend upon whether the bill was drafted with a severability clause.
Old May 16, 2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
That will likely depend upon whether the bill was drafted with a severability clause.
I'm sure it was. I doubt they would formulate a law with such symbolic intentions without one.

Especially with such large provisions as school carry. I'm happy with everything in the law that I've read in the thread.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old May 17, 2013, 12:10 AM   #14
62coltnavy

The symbolic provisions are purely that, because they do not and cannot) prohibit federal officials from enforcing federal laws, and I have little doubt that the Federal courts will have no problem enforcing federal laws either. For the most part, state police officials do not enforce federal gun laws anyway. Nor can federal officials be arrested by state officials while performing their duties.