The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 2, 2007, 10:05 AM   #1
bikerbill

Lithium Batteries

This may be a stupid question, but I can't get SureFire to answer it.

I recently bought a 9P, which came with three of SureFire's 123 lithium batteries. I used the light for a few weeks. Finally, i used it one evening and it was fine. The next night, no light at all.

I replaced the batteries with a set from another maker, and the same thing happened. One day fine, the next day stone dead.

Is this what I should expect from litium batteries? No dimming, no warning that they are out of juice, just light one minute and dark the next? Seems kinda dangerous for, say, a cop chasing a bad guy in the dark. Also seems kinda costly, since to avoid that problem you would have to replace the batteries as preventive medicine long before they're dead.
Old November 2, 2007, 11:12 AM   #2
KMBRTAC45

I have 4 Surefire lights(2-E2E's, 1-Z3 & 1-G2) and what usually happens is towards the end of the batteries life they will dim slightly about 5 minutes before the light dies. If you are not paying attention it will seem like the light just stops. Lights like Surefire and other high output lights only work if they can draw maximum power from the battery, if you have other items that use a 3v lithium they still have some power in them and can be used in low draw items. I keep at least 2 boxes of batteries around at all times, if I'm going to Michigan for deer season I will grab a couple of extra boxes.

Freedoms precious metals:Gold, Silver & Lead

Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS
Old November 2, 2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

I have a Streamlight LED little flashlight that uses 123's. I put the the Surefire oldies in that and it is fine for just puttering around if you need a little bit of light.
Old November 3, 2007, 08:46 AM   #4
HankL

Make sure to read this thread http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=266134 before moving the batteries to another flashlight. You want to avoid a situation where one lithium battery tries to charge another.

Some Surefire products dim over time while others supply a near constant light level as long as the batteries have enough juice.

HTH
Old November 4, 2007, 06:24 AM   #5
Martyn4802

This is one reason I have gone to LED fashlights, power darw. The power consumed by Surefire flaslights is far too high for good battery life.

Martyn
Old November 4, 2007, 02:00 PM   #6
tony pasley

That is common result with lithium batteries. It is not the type of light. Once they go down save them for your wrist rocket sling shot, they do great on small varmits.