The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 13, 2011, 02:28 AM   #1
Hylander

Pietta Or Uberti ?

Considering an 1858 Steel frame
Pros and Cons of each please
Old February 13, 2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Bill Akins

My experience is that Pietta and Uberti today are about equal on fit and finish. Some people say the Uberti is marginally better in fit and finish, and that may have been true comparing the Uberti's with earlier Pietta's. But Pietta has come up a lot in quality and I would put them now in the same quality as Uberti. Although for some inexplicable reason the Uberti's still seem to command a higher price than the Piettas on gunbroker auctions. Trust me, you will hear some people say Uberti's are better while others will argue that Pietta's are just as good. Truth is, they are both good with the Pietta's usually being less expensive because of the past impression that Uberti's are better lingers on.

So although quality fit and finish these days are about the same, there still are some differences between the Uberti and Pietta 1858 Remingtons.

The Pietta 1858 Remy will sometimes have a bit larger grip than the Uberti.
Which is good for larger hands. Although I have 3 Pietta 1858's and my stainless one has a larger grip and grip frame than my other two 1858 Piettas. Go figure.

The Uberti has a slightly longer cylinder than the Pietta. So a Pietta cylinder will fit in an Uberti but shouldn't be used because that creates to much of a barrel to cylinder gap. Likewise the cartridge conversion cylinders for the Pietta will fit into an Uberti, but shouldn't be used for the same excessive barrel to cylinder gap reasons. Bottom line, either one you get you have to use their own particular cylinders in them and also cartridge conversion cylinder made specifically for that brand.

The other differences are that the Uberti dovetails its front sight into the top of the barrel. Uberti also dovetails its loading rammer latch attachment into the bottom of the barrel. In contrast, Pietta silver solders both its front sight into a hole in the top of the barrel and also silver solders its loading rammer latch into a hole on the bottom of the barrel.

Here's a comparison between the 1858 Pietta that does not dovetail the front sight and loading lever catch stud under the barrel, vs the 1858 Uberti dovetailed ones. Uberti on the left and Pietta on the right.

Earlier Uberti 1858 Remy's back in the 70's were not dovetailed. But today they are while Pietta's are not. Here's an interesting article from the firing line that covers some of this from back in Aug 2010....
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show....php?p=4197694

I will say that I believe the sideways tapped in dovetailed front sight and dovetailed loading rammer attachment of the Uberti are more secure than the silver soldered on ones of the Pietta's and earlier production Uberti's.
That is a plus for recent and current production Uberti 1858 Remys in my opinion. Although I don't own an Uberti anything at this time but do own four Pietta's (3 1858 Pietta Remys & one 1860 Pietta) and like them very much.

Again, they are both good quality 1858 Remington reproductions.

Hope this helped you.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 13, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old February 13, 2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

As long as Cabela's is selling them....

....for two hundred bucks, I'd get the Pietta.

If you decide it isn't good enough you can almost always sell it and lose only about twenty five bucks. Or keep it.....An Uberti 1858 and a Pietta 1858 is better than just an Uberti 1858.
Old February 13, 2011, 07:43 AM   #4
mykeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
An Uberti 1858 and a Pietta 1858 is better than just an Uberti 1858.
Now that should be a sticky at the top of this forum!
Old February 13, 2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Rick57

I bought a Pietta 1858 Remington from Cabelas a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. Fit and finish are top notch! Takes .454 sized balls. My only complaint is that the nipples are a little small for #11 CCI caps. Remington #10 caps fit better but are harder to find locally. Aftermarket nipples are available that will take #11 caps.
Old February 13, 2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Hylander

Thanks all
Do the Uberti take the .454 as well or does it favor the .457 like the ROA ?
I like the fact that Uberti dovetails the front sight and Ramrod latch.
I used to have a Nickle Peitta about 5 years ago, loved it, would put 5 shots into one hole at 10yds., but the 6th would be out about 1", it was always
the same Cyl. also most of the nipples were where not drill though.
When I called Pietta's CS in Italy, I actually got Mr. Peitta Sent me replacement nipples in 4 days, I still have the envolope thay came in mailed from Italy

Quote:
Earlier Uberti 1858 Remy's back in the 70's were not dovetailed. But today they are while Pietta's are not. Here's an interesting article from the firing line that covers some of this from back in Aug 2010....
Broken link
Old February 13, 2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Bill Akins

Quote:
Hylander wrote:
Broken link
Sorry about the broken link. I went back and fixed it plus here it is again....

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 13, 2011, 10:04 PM   #8
Hylander

Well I just got back from a local Stealer
He had a new Uberti 1858 Blued Model, box says "New Improved Model" or something to that effect.
It is Gorgeous, Fit and finish look great, Lockup is tight and Actoin is Butter smoooth, also front sight is perfectly stright, so barrel is clocked correct.
I noticed that on Uberti's web site that the 1858 is pictured without dovetails.
Anyway, Price was $329, I may have to go back tomorrow and get it,
Unless I can save getting one online
Old February 13, 2011, 11:04 PM   #9
Model-P

Lincoln? Yuba City here.
Old February 14, 2011, 12:44 AM   #10
Hylander

Quote:
Lincoln? Yuba City here.
Howd'y
Is there anyone local that has a Pietta in stock I could check out ?
Old February 14, 2011, 01:00 AM   #11
Bill Akins

Hylander, why pay $329.00 for a blue one when you can get a stainless 1858 Remy Uberti here for $359.95 and it has both dovetails.....
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=215385772

Then here's a 1979 era earlier Uberti 1858 Remy stainless with holster at $225.00 although from the pics I can't tell if it has the dovetails or not.....
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=215215382

I just hate to see you pay $329.00 for a blue Uberti 1858 Remy when you can get a stainless Uberti 1858 Remy for just a little more or even for much less.

And here's some links to stainless Pietta 1858 Remys....
Started at $265.00
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=215368910

Started at $100.00
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216028655

Trust me Hylander, go stainless or at least nickel. You will never regret it.
It cleans sooo much easier and no cold blue touchup ever needed and practically no rust ever. Don't be in a hurry and do an impulse buy that will cost you more. SHOP. Keep a watch on the one's I clued you to above.

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 14, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old February 14, 2011, 01:58 AM   #12
Hylander

Thanks Bill
I'm really leaning toward a new Blued model.
Although I am watching and will probably bid on the last one you linked.
Old February 14, 2011, 09:06 AM   #13
sewerman

i have no complaints on the four piettas purchased from cabela's this pass year.

i agree that pietta has improved their quality.

as with anything man made a person can always get a boo-boo.

that just tells me someone in quality control is speanding more time looking at the hottie next to him or at the breakroom then where he's supposed to be.

happens in all industries....a human fraility....another augument for robots.....

S.M.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old February 14, 2011, 09:38 AM   #14
kadima

However a robot won't discuss with you on the phone how to fix your pistol and send you the spares accordingly as it happened to me last year with my Uberti Remington 1858....

K.
Old February 14, 2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Model-P

Quote:
Is there anyone local that has a Pietta in stock I could check out ?
None that I know of. Sorry.

I have to agree that price for a blued Uberti seems high. I also have to agree that stainless is a wonderful option. But, I also understand the idea of using blued steel to experience it all just as they did back in the day. My first gun was a stainless Uberti 1858 Remington, and I still love it! A couple years ago I bought a Pietta 1860, but I had to have it in blued steel to relive history the way it was.
Old February 14, 2011, 08:37 PM   #16
Hylander

Quote:
I have to agree that price for a blued Uberti seems high
The cheapest I found online was $315 plus shipping, so it is pretty much a wash, only for the few extra bucks I get to handle it before I buy.
Although the Cabelas Pietta for $199 is sounding good
Old February 14, 2011, 10:39 PM   #17
ClemBert

For the same exact price I'd take an Uberti just about any day over a Pietta. But, alas, that is rarely the case. Usually, you are going to pay a good bit more for an Uberti over a Pietta. So, it boils down to how much money you have to pee-pee away. It is hard to walk away from some of those sales that Cabelas has on Piettas.

I have a rather small collection of BP revolvers. 2 Rugers, 2 Ubertis, and 3 Piettas. Not that a small sampling proves any point but I like the quality of my BP revolvers is this order: Ruger, Uberti, Pietta. For the price I very much like the Piettas.
Old February 14, 2011, 10:45 PM   #18
Bill Akins

Hylander, here's some more I picked out for you to check out.

Nice .44 1858 Pietta Remy with 5.5 inch barrel. I like this one a lot. At $215.00
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=214546958

Another Pietta 1858 Remy with holster, powder flask and extra cylinder. At $100.00 but reserve not met.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216028653

New in box Pietta Remy with adjustable sights. At zero right now with unknown reserve.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216327495

Same as previous. At $215.00
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216214216

Old February 14, 2011, 11:19 PM   #19
Model-P

Quote:
The cheapest I found online was $315 plus shipping, so it is pretty much a wash, only for the few extra bucks I get to handle it before I buy.
Don't forget to consider local sales taxes.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:54 AM   #20
Bill Akins

Couple of more 1858 Remys for you to check out Hylander.

This ASM Remy is nice. Says stainless or nickel frame. Comes with very nice like new triple K leather holster, straight line capper, nipple wrench, nipple prick, caps, flask, adjustable sights, 12" target barrel, unfired condition. Read its description. Currently at $235.00 with no bids and no reserve.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216182681

This is a nickel plated Pietta Remy. Unfired, new in orig box with paperwork.
Currently at $200.00 with no bids and no reserve. (I like stainless and nickel )
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216136602

Hopefully something I send your way will help you. One of the other fellows from here bid and won the fluted, 5 shot, .36 cal, 1862 pocket police I posted telling everyone about here on Sunday. At $115.00 that one was a steal. Glad to see someone from here got it. I would have got it myself but I just bought another one. There are a few good deals out there. Just take your time and keep looking for what you want at the price you want to spend. Resist impulse buying.

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 15, 2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:31 PM   #21
mrappe

My preferences are:

Finish
1) Case Hardened Frame - very nice looking.
2) Blued Frame - Most historically accurate.
3) Nickel Frame
4) Stainless Frame - While practical it does not fit with my historical fanaticism.

Manufacturer
1) Cimmaron - best fit an finish - made with Uberti parts
2) Uberti - Pietta Tied but Pietta is cheaper, Would have to compare a Uberti 58 to my Pietta 58 as for looks. I have Uberti made SAAs and they are nice but not see a 58
3) Armi San Marco - I have a SAA made by them from EMF and the fit and finish was excellent but it is hard to get parts for them since they are no longer in business.
4) Ruger Old Army - Made well and very strong but only vaguely resemble a 58 Rem. If you don't want to be historically accurate then it is a good gun.

For $199 I would get the Pietta. I got mine from Cabelas about 10 - 12 yrs ago and it is great. I think I paid about $160 back then.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:36 PM   #22
mrappe

Quote:
Here's a comparison between the 1858 Pietta that does not dovetail the front sight and loading lever catch stud under the barrel, vs the 1858 Uberti dovetailed ones. Uberti on the left and Pietta on the right.

I don't recall any of the originals having dovetails. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:31 PM   #23
rdstrain49

They also didn't use non-corrosive caps or BP substitute. I like non-corrosive caps, use Pyrodex out of necessity, and prefer dovetail front sights for what should be obvious reasons. It's all a matter of personal preference.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:33 PM   #24
Hardcase

The 1863 version of the 1858 (which is what we buy today) came with a screw in blade, not a dovetail. I believe, though, that the change from dovetail to screw in front sight was the last one made to the revolver.

A case might be made that the dovetail is authentic because Remington, like most other gun makers, didn't make a hard transition from one style to another. The company used up its supply of old parts first, so it seems reasonable to assume that there were at least a few dovetailed New Model Armies out there.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:28 PM   #25
Hylander

Thinking about getting the Cabelas 1858 that is on sale for $199
Does anyone know when the sale ends ?
Also anyone have a Cabelas coupon code they are not going to use ?