The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 5, 2011, 08:34 AM   #1
PTMGunner16

Indoor Shooting Ranges??

Really interested in starting a shooting range near the Calhoun, Adairsville area! Does anyone have experince or even own one? Any info would really help.. hope this isnt to "off topic" of forum
Old January 5, 2011, 10:30 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

besides the trap and walls

It's the air-scrubbing system you must consider (and insurance).

Contact the NRA for range assistance.
Old January 5, 2011, 10:48 AM   #3
twhidd

Calhoun/Adairsville area? Are we talking Georgia?
Old January 5, 2011, 10:49 AM   #4
EdInk

Proper ventilation is going to be the big thing. Also, zoning and noise restrictions will be a concern. Insurance won't be cheap either. The NRA can help you. Best of luck in your venture.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:20 PM   #5
spclPatrolGroup

They just built one in my town, I think it cost like 1.5-2 mil.
Old January 5, 2011, 01:11 PM   #6
BigJimP

It depends a lot on your local zoning laws .../permits, etc can cost you well over $100,000 ....but it depends....

Good people to run it - and a good physical operation ( lighting, ventilation, backstop, target retrievers, insurance, etc are all important).

I've seen some real mickey mouse operations ...where it was just basically an old building 60yrs old - with 6 bays ....(crummy lighting, dirty, and nasty ..) .....to first class operations with leather couches, big screen TV, snack bars, locker rental, cleaning rooms, etc .... but the insurance is going to be the "killer" ....and if you ever have a bad accident / don't quit your day job ....because you'll be out of business in a heartbeat. There is nothing scarier - than a bunch of 20 somethings coming in to rent guns, with their girlfriends on a sat evening, when they want to shoot - and don't even know how to load a mag.

I've seen some ranges - require a membership / and to get a membership you have to sit thru a safety lecture for about an hour. Range safety checks are pretty important - especially if you're going to let people draw from holsters, etc ... There is just a lot to it ....
Old January 5, 2011, 01:24 PM   #7
riggins_83

There's one I'm a member of here, great range. 25 yards (wish it was longer), bulletproof glass between the shooting lanes. Very well ventilated, in fact I sometimes think the air is better inside than outside (and I'm not in LA, Chicago, Denver, or New York City).

Ventilation and lighting are the key..
Old January 5, 2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Casimer

The NRA has range development materials, and consulting available. They'd be able to give you a run down on the various business models, costs, requirements, etc..

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/
Old January 5, 2011, 09:07 PM   #9
proxpilot

if you make it like this one i promise i will come visit from NC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyq90...layer_embedded
Old January 5, 2011, 09:18 PM   #10
oneounceload

That indoor range IS something amazing........
Old January 5, 2011, 09:20 PM   #11
Flint Ridge

Lead

EPA
Old January 5, 2011, 11:41 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Keep in mind not only the original cost of tons and tons of AC, and heating equipment, the utility bills to operate the necessary HVAC equipment will be quite high.
Good luck on your plans.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 6, 2011, 11:32 AM   #13
1911rocks

Avery helpful gentleman

Occasionally I work in Longmont Colorado. Just outside yown is a magnificent indoor range called Triggertime. The owner was more than happy to explain all the process he went through (contacts, Federal EPA requirements, HVAC,etc). The indoor 100yd range with target retrieval was VERY nice. It's the quietest range I've ever been in.

Article:
http://longmontledger.com/longmont-c...easing-demand/

Telephone#
http://www.switchboard.com/results.h...&semSessionId=
Old January 7, 2011, 10:30 PM   #14
Ozzieman

The indoor range that I use has 3 rooms with 8, 8 and 10 positions in the rooms.
The range was built by a friend that that I used to work part time for. He sold the store 3 years ago. The man that owns it now last year replaced the air filtration system for the range. $17,000.
If you don’t have a gun store attached, I really don’t see how you can make money. The first thing I would do is check with a good reputable insurance company and get the price for liability insurance, once you find out how much that alone will cost, you might not consider it a great idea.
Personally I wish you luck, I do know that he makes good money on the range in the winter time but the summer slows down.
Recently his business has plummeted, the reason is that he made a change due to insurance (he says) he only allows factory ammo, no reloads.
Old January 13, 2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Really interested in starting a shooting range near the Calhoun, Adairsville area! Does anyone have experince or even own one? Any info would really help.. hope this isnt to "off topic" of forum
Don't know how much you have researched the cost, or how deep your pockets are, but.
Talking with a shop owner yesterday who is adding a 15 point range to his shop located in a strip mall. With full reinforced concrete walls added to surround the range area, baffling built and installed by a company that specializes in ranges, target retrieval system, HVAC, and other costs. Total = 2.2 Million dollars!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 13, 2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Cowboy_mo

Curious about "NO Reloads"

So are the ranges that ban "reloads" also requiring a shooter to purchase the ammo onsite?

It would seem to me that is the only way a range could be sure the shooters weren't using reloads. Heck, at the gun shows around here you can purchase "factory reloads" and save some money if you don't have the equipment yourself. They come in factory boxes but the boxes don't actually state reloads. They just show the company name.
Old January 15, 2011, 03:18 PM   #17
WANT A LCR 22LR

Something on the HVAC side of things, there are heat exchanger devices that allow exchange of air while transfering heat to the incoming air. Some are pretty much paralell ducts and some use a rotating disc that transfers heat.

The smaller heat exchangers are installed on some newer houses that are built so tight no fresh air enters. I'm considering one for my garage for when it is warmer outside than inside but I don't want moisture to enter.
Old March 30, 2012, 10:32 PM   #18
dlt

What's the progress

@ PTMGunner16

I know it's been over a year since the last post, but I was hoping you see this. I live in Calhoun and have been wanting one in the area that has guns for rent. So I was wondering how the progrees of your plans have come.