The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 1, 2011, 03:14 PM   #76
40caljustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
Wild, .40 cal, talk to me after you put right at 1,000 folks into the Federal criminal Justice system, as I have. Not one of them wanted to go, and some would like to get even for the 5 to 10 years of their life they spent as guests of the Government.

Some of the folks I arrested were mobbed up, some worked for unfriendly intelligence services. I'm not paranoid, just aware that the threat (for me and mine) is real !

And what the heck is a nutnfancy video?
Ok man. You put away some bad dudes. Mobbed up and mean. A thousand of them. But hear me out. I appreciate the work you have put in and the chances you took to make everyone's life safer. With that said. Don't get on a forum and brag about it like your a special super LEO or DA. Your not the only guy running around here putting there life on the line locking up bad guys. There are members of this forum that have spent years in law enforcement. Do you see them bragging? No because that's the life and career they chose. They swore an oath to put bad mobbed up guys away. It does not make you any bigger or better in my eyes. Maybe you do think you need to be more aware of your surroundings but so do we. That's fine. Be safe and protect yours. Don't for a second think your the only one that has enemies. Lots of LEO's and DA's have enemies. There's tens of thousands of them. I'm sure the 2 million people in our prisons hate their arresting officer and prosecutor.

Nutnfancy is a "sheepdog". Leader of all "sheepdogs". He is all over YouTube. Check him out.

*Or maybe your a judge. I don't know. I do know your not alone.

I'm not on this forum to argue and start thread wars. I simply state my opinion on most things I come across. This has gone a bit far for me so I apologize to anyone I offended.
Old July 2, 2011, 12:26 AM   #77
BIG P

I'm not paranoid at all,but I am a armed American that works alone at night in the inter city & have seen My share of crap.Being around that sort of thing tends to make you pay attention to your suroundings.I'm no sheepdog or law dog either, no disrespect.I feel I have the right to protect Me & mine if LE is there GREAT I have utmost respect for the Police. But if alone I'M not lying down for a CRACK SMOKIN FOOL to have his way.Sometimes 911 just can't get there in time Those guys plate is full this I know.
Old July 2, 2011, 10:38 AM   #78
Ringolevio

Of sheep and sheepdogs

I gotta tell ya, it's a bit disappointing to hear members of this particular community disparage the noble concept of being a sheepdog.

It is said that man first became civilized when he began to think about more than where his next meal was coming from. Civilization is further defined by man being concerned with the well-being of others, beyond his own family and tribe.

It's fine to recognize that discretion can be the better part of valor, and to have the luxury of picking one's battles and of deciding on which hill one is ready to die.

But the sheepdog's creed encompasses the willingness to put one's own life and limb at risk in defense of strangers. To disparage that creed is to disparage cops, firefighters, Marines etc.; anyone who is willing to run toward danger and prepared to intervene even if it doesn't threaten him or his family directly.

You might as well call them paranoics, do-gooders, glory-seekers and wannabe heroes.

When you disparage and ridicule sheepdogs, you don't diminish the sheepdogs; you diminish yourself.
Old July 2, 2011, 11:05 AM   #79
kraigwy

Sheepdog???

I'm more like a basset hound, I'm fine until you disturb my nap, then I get grumpy.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 2, 2011, 11:16 AM   #80
chadstrickland

Interesting thread...and I would like to agree that being aware is good and I don't hate on people that are paranoid..I try to keep a good watch out of bgs but don't do it always...I am however extremely paranoid when I go to the river as that is where most of my bad experiences came from..im sure if I got robbed and almost beaten to death then I would probably treat a restaurant the same way...so I don't pick on anyone that takes there safely seriously whenever they feel the need..and don't realy mind when people pick on me at the river..I know what's in there and know what can happen...to each there own..but someone in this thread said the best defense is to blend in...I am inclined to go with that..
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old July 2, 2011, 12:15 PM   #81
JerryM

I think the "sheepdog" thinking is like a "knight in shining armor" mentality.

I cannot but wonder how people think that even concentrate on such things and think about what they are or what everyone else is.
Just do what is necessary, and if you prepare, things will take care of themselves without attempting to categorize everyone.

I know plenty of people who do not carry including retired combat military, and LEOs. Whatever they are they could not be classed as sheep. They just don't see the need for a gun to be the center of their thinking or requirement for safety. They don't worry about where they sit in a restaurant unless the sun from outside is getting in their eyes.

I don't try to think about myself as a sheepdog or anything but a guy who attempts to do what is required. It has worked for me for a long time. I have not found it necessary or even desirable to build my life around my personal safety or my guns.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 2, 2011, 12:52 PM   #82
Mello2u

Quote:
BUFF

paranoid
Just a simple question.

Do some people think you are paranoid because you sit facing the door at restaurants, scan the area in parking lots, check where the exits are in every where you go...etc?
Someone who is paranoid is suffering from paranoia which can be defined as; baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

I can't imagine that anyone could rationally argue that the actions described above could come close to behavior which could be described as baseless or excessive.

It is merely prudent behavior. It is taking reasonable actions to preserve the one and only life you have (or the lives of someone you have a duty to protect).
" Frederic Bastiat
Old July 2, 2011, 01:00 PM   #83
JimPage

I don't label people as sheep, dog, or much else. I see people and a few low lifes. Most people I have no idea what they are really like. I have been needlessly suspiscious of some people and recognize that as my occasional failure

Having said that I must say that I am usually aware of my surroundings, and I guess that comes from flying combat missions in fighters where the prime advantage was to see the other guys first. I usually carry, sometimes I don't. I haven't had a confrontation (that's from temperment and how and where one conducts himself, I think). So I will just label myself as mostly self sufficient.
Old July 2, 2011, 01:06 PM   #84
JerryM

[I can't imagine that anyone could rationally argue that the actions described above could come close to behavior which could be described as baseless or excessive.]

Like a lot of other things those actions could be taken to an extreme that I would consider excessive. I guess it depends upon how we think about such things, and what we believe are the risks. Where one lives, works, and operates influences such things.
I would consider that if one would not eat at a particular restaurant on a particular night because he could not sit with his back against the wall and be able to watch most or all doors, then that would be excessive. To me that would indicate a fear that would be unhealthy or paranoid. I understand that others will not agree with me.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 2, 2011, 02:34 PM   #85
Wildalaska

Quote:
But the sheepdog's creed encompasses the willingness to put one's own life and limb at risk in defense of strangers. To disparage that creed is to disparage cops, firefighters, Marines etc.; anyone who is willing to run toward danger and prepared to intervene even if it doesn't threaten him or his family directly.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

To equate TRAINED folks whose JOB is to protect others with delusionofgrandeurtoomanychainemail mall ninjas diminishes the TRAINED folks at the expense of the wannabes. (I am particularly incensed at wannabes today, reason to follow in a separate thread)

So if you me putting the boots to some 17 year old black kid, please don't bark and run in with your Tacticool 1911, I am merely defending myself from robbery...wait thats a bad example, lets try..

So if you see the black man putting the boots to some white kid.......

Quote:
I'm more like a basset hound, I'm fine until you disturb my nap, then I get grumpy.
I bet a nice 1903a1 would make ya nap again

WildbowwowAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old July 2, 2011, 03:00 PM   #86
JerryM

Quote:
But the sheepdog's creed encompasses the willingness to put one's own life and limb at risk in defense of strangers. To disparage that creed is to disparage cops, firefighters, Marines etc.; anyone who is willing to run toward danger and prepared to intervene even if it doesn't threaten him or his family directly. End Quote

You are surely jesting to compare someone with a CHL who has never been in combat or in grave danger with cops, firefighters, Marines etc. who have experienced mortal danger.

Regards,
Jerry
Old July 2, 2011, 04:31 PM   #87
secret_agent_man

Ah, yes. The noble sheepdog, ever vigilante.

Old July 2, 2011, 06:32 PM   #88
Glenn E. Meyer

Lights out, everyone get a Milkbone to chew on and take a nap on your blanket.

Closed