The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Hole Shooter

Headstamp on .38 special cases..........

I have some .38 special cases and the headstamp says W-W. Is that a Winchester case? I ask because I also have some other cases and the headstamp says Winchester (all spelled out). If both cases are Winchester can someone please tell me why the headstamps are different? If the case marked W-W is not Winchester, does anyone know what it is? Any and all comments are certainly apprecitated!
Hole Shooter
Old June 8, 2008, 07:19 PM   #2
rwilson452

yes, it's Winchester
Old June 8, 2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Hawg

They're both Winchester. The W-W is Winchester Western.
Old June 8, 2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Sevens

Over the years, Winchester has put a bunch of different things on headstamps. I've seen WIN, WINCHESTER, W-W, WW, W-W Super, Western, WRA, WCC and some others I've probably forgotten.

My first caliber at the bench was .38 special and as I was a real range rat in high school, I used to see a lot of scattered brass at our club's range. Seemed like each time I went down to the range, I'd find a .38 with a different headstamp on it. So, for the hell of it, I started a little collection. Just one sample of each different headstamp. I think I have about 40 different in a box somewhere, all tarnished over time. I still keep any .38 I've never seen, and it to the collection. Thank god I don't do it in other calibers... that would be insane.

A fun link for you to check out:
http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm
Old June 9, 2008, 12:20 PM   #5
Hole Shooter

Thanks fellas for all the replies. Since both cases were made by Winchester, I think I am going to consolidate my .38 special “Winchester” and “W-W” brass as if they were all stamped the same and sort by the number of times the case was reloaded. Again, thank you for your help!
Hole Shooter
Old June 10, 2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Sport45

To each his own, but I've never found a need to sort .38spl brass in any form or fashion. I just shoot it until it splits.
Old June 11, 2008, 01:44 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Winchester brass

Quote:
Over the years, Winchester has put a bunch of different things on headstamps. I've seen WIN, WINCHESTER, W-W, WW, W-W Super, Western, WRA, WCC and some others I've probably forgotten.
And a couple of the ones you've forgotten are Super-X, and Super Speed, although these are more common on rifle brass. Super Speed hasn't been done in a long, long time, but I have some old .30-30 brass so marked. And there are likely some more I've missed as well.

Winchester and Remington have used a few dozen or so different headstamps during the last century or so, one reason cartridge collectors have so much "fun".