The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 29, 2002, 11:52 AM   #1
saands

Safeties for a 98 Mauser with a scope?

I am looking for the cleanest way to get a working safety on my rebarreled and scoped Turk Mausers. I put a Bold trigger with a safety on the first one, but I am not thrilled with how it ended up ... VERY close to the bolt ... close enough that it can get taken off of safe when you close the bolt. I usually tend to rely on the safety between my ears, but if I ever do want to render the rifle safe in a mechanical way, I certainly don't want it coming undone unintentionally. I have seen the Beuhler low mount safeties at Midway for $23.49 and a generic "Low Scope Safety" at Numrich for $7.20. Has anyone used these ... what are the thoughts?

Thanks,
Saands
Old July 29, 2002, 12:14 PM   #2
Hemicuda

I use Buehler safeties on my Mausers exclusively... (the safety in the trigger complicates stuff too much, since the main safety on a Mauser locks the firing pin back positively... (and buhelers work the same way)

Note: I have 5 custom mausers, so I do have some experience here...)

ALSO, the safeties on a Mauser actually aid bolt disassembly because they'll hold the pin back when you unscrew the bolt shroud from the body!

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old July 29, 2002, 04:32 PM   #3
Gewehr98

I've always used Buehlers...

or their newer equivalent, called MkII's in the Brownell's catalogue.

Very positive engagement, prevents the striker from moving when it is engaged, and does indeed help when disassembling the bolt!

Neural Misfires
Old July 29, 2002, 07:21 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Buehler good stuff.

Sam
Old July 30, 2002, 05:42 AM   #5
stans

I agree with the above.
Old July 31, 2002, 01:46 PM   #6
Clemson

I have used the Buehler style (from Timney now) and the triggers with safeties from Timney. I also prefer the Buehler because it holds the cocking piece. The trigger type safety, however, is adequate for most of your hunting needs. It holds the sear which holds the cocking piece back, so it is also a "good" safety. You can stop the bolt sleeve from knocking the safety off by grinding a small notch in the flange so that it clears the safety lever. I choose the safety for the action by first trying a Beuhler. If it fits with no grinding of the cocking piece, I use it. In those cases where modification of the cocking piece is necessary, I bail out and use the Timney with a safety, typically installing a Brownells streamlined shroud when I do.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com