The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
dtandy

Carbon fiber composite Rem 700 SPS Tactical Stock

Hello,

I wanted to post here to ask a few questions about a stock I am building. I made a carbon fiber composite stock for a Springfield M1A that I own and it turned out really well (see attached images). I am actually getting a lot of interest in it from the M14/M1A crowd. I think my next project is going to be making a carbon fiber composite stock for a .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical . I've been wanting to get one of these rifles and this is the perfect excuse to finally get it.

I am fortunate to have ready access to a CNC machine shop that also has carbon fiber composite manufacturing capabilities. To make the stock, I made a large aluminum mold and bladder molded the stock under about 70 to 80 psi of pressure at about 300 d F. The M1A stock is 100% carbon fiber composite. I understand, though, that the higher end Rem 700 aftermarket stocks have metal pillars.

So, my questions are more about what I need to engineer into the 700 SPS Tactical stock to make it a good shooter. I am planning to embed metal pillars for the receiver, ensure the barrel is free floated, and build plenty of stiffness into the forend so it doesn't contact the barrel when the rifle is shot (or when a bipod is attached). What else should I be thinking about? Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1A_Stocka.jpg (80.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg M1A_Stockb.jpg (68.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg M1A_Stockd.jpg (51.9 KB, 30 views)
Old December 28, 2013, 10:26 AM   #2
jmr40

The stock you made looks good. The pillars help to prevent the stock from "crushing" as you tighten the action screws. If the stock material is dense and heavy enough they may not be needed. I don't see where they could hurt if done right and I'd prefer them.

But I have to ask about cost. Even doing the work yourself it has to be expensive to make a mold. I'm betting you can buy the same stock a lot cheaper.
Old December 28, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
dtandy

I'm not too worried about the cost as this is fun for me. The metal for a mold that large isn't cheap (about $500) but I do all of the work myself from CAD through finishing the stock. And the mold can be used many time so if a buddy wants one, I can just reuse the mold to make more stocks. Plus, the carbon fiber look is just too cool!
Old December 28, 2013, 02:24 PM   #4
jmr40

That is about what I figured. Except I would have thought the cost to make the mold would have been well over $500 even with you doing the work. A custom built McMillan will run you $500-$600, probably a lot less than you will have in the mold and other materials. But if it is something you enjoy why not. Once the mold is made you might even be able to make and sell a few to others. It wouldn't take long to break even on materials.

I have seen a couple of McMillans left unpainted with the carbon fiber cloth showing. I like the look.
Old December 28, 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
dtandy

Yeah, I wouldn't want to spend what it would cost to have the mold made by someone else. It took me about 35 hours of CAD work to get the M1A stock dialed and three molds to get to where I was happy with how everything worked. It takes my CNC mill about 9 hours to mill each half of the mold and when you add in the other parts we're talking about 25 hours of milling time. But, I'm expanding my capabilities as well as developing some new ones for my business (we make high-end telescope systems and carbon fiber parts) so it's time well spent.

Tags
carbon fiber , remington 700 sps , remington 700 stock