The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Which Battle Rifle Would You Carry Into Battle?
HK G3 3 12.50%
FN FAL 6 25.00%
Springfield Armory M14 10 41.67%
Armalite AR-10 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 2, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1
sigshepardo

Stag Model 8

I recently picked up a Stag Arms Model 8 piston driven 5.56. Im not new to AR's but I have herd of some piston driven models having issues. Anybody know anything good/bad to say about the Stag Model 8? Thanks.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Revoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigshepardo
I recently picked up a Stag Arms Model 8 piston driven 5.56. Im not new to AR's but I have herd of some piston driven models having issues. Anybody know anything good/bad to say about the Stag Model 8? Thanks.
What does your "What battle rifle would you carry into battle" poll have to do with your question as to Stag's model 8 performance/reliability?

Regarding the poll, I would take any/all of them.

Regarding the Stag model 8, I have no idea, hopefully someone with experience will be able to help you.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:15 PM   #3
sigshepardo

UPDATE

Just to clear any confusion, the poll is not related to the Stag. I put it there out of curiosity. Thanks
Old February 3, 2013, 10:19 PM   #4
bigghoss

Here's what I know

1. Stag is an OK brand if you just want to shoot for fun but I wouldn't trust my life to anything they make. (or anything less than a colt for that matter)

2. A piston system on an AR15 is over rated and unnecessary as original direct impingement system works just fine. And they also aren't standardized so any replacement parts on the piston have to be from the OEM.

If you are just plinking with it then just shoot it (when you can get ammo) and see what happens. If you are thinking that maybe you should have bought a better gun then check this out. http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376
Old February 4, 2013, 05:21 PM   #5

No AK47 on the poll? That'd be my choice.

As for the Stag ARs, they decent enough guns, just not what I'd go for as I very satisfied with my Armalite.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:32 PM   #6
wyobohunter

I guess I just don't understand the Colt worship. I carried a Colt A2 in the Marine Corps, great rifle and no problems stand out in my mind after thousands of rounds down range in some pretty tough conditions. I now have a Stag model 3L that I'm just as mean to. I haven't put many thousands of rounds through it yet but I'm well past 1K problem free.
I just don't see a big difference. Maybe somebody can enlighten me with some actual facts?

I considered the model 8, looks way nice to me but I opted to stick with DI as it never caused a problem before.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:35 PM   #7
bigghoss

Quote:
I guess I just don't understand the Colt worship. I carried a Colt A2 in the Marine Corps, great rifle and no problems stand out in my mind after thousands of rounds down range in some pretty tough conditions. I now have a Stag model 3L that I'm just as mean to. I haven't put many thousands of rounds through it yet but I'm well past 1K problem free.
I just don't see a big difference. Maybe somebody can enlighten me with some actual facts?
Basically if you talk to the professional instructors and guys who shoot competition they see a higher failure rate with Stag/RRA/bushmaster and the like as opposed to Colt/Daniel Defense/LMT and those when the rifles get lots of rounds through them in a short span repeatedly over a long time(IE classes and competition). Obviously if a gun you already have works then there is no reason to ditch it for something that can only be as good.

The link I posted earlier explains it nicely and has a lot of valuable info.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:21 AM   #8
wyobohunter

It gives a few things one should check. No definitive info on failure rates. Whatever trips your trigger though.
Old February 5, 2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Quentin2

Quote:

I considered the model 8, looks way nice to me but I opted to stick with DI as it never caused a problem before.
No doubt a Stag will serve most folks very well. Problems arise when you run the rifle hard and long but unfortunately the information (it sounds like you want) is hard to come by. Sometimes you have to trust the opinion of those who see lots of use in AR style rifles. The first user that comes to mind is our military and they demand certain specs. Of course their major suppliers of complete rifles are Colt and FN. Not Stag. And as bigghoss pointed out "... professional instructors and guys who shoot competition they see a higher failure rate with Stag/RRA/bushmaster and the like as opposed to Colt/Daniel Defense/LMT and those when the rifles get lots of rounds through them in a short span repeatedly over a long time..."

As far as piston vs. DI in the AR, DI performs well in most cases. As the barrel gets shorter than 14.5" or in suppressed applications there can be advantages to the piston gun. The main advantage of piston in these applications is the gas regulator which can lessen the abuse to bolt components common in shorter barrels. If you have 14.5" and longer, the disadvantages of the piston become more noticeable, especially the heavy muzzle weight.

Last edited by Quentin2; February 5, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:18 PM   #10
wyobohunter

continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html

The above is a link to Stag's parent company. The manufacture parts for nearly every major AR-15 producer... Including Colt. I wonder if the prancing pony quality didn't get in there until after the parts left New Britain?
Or maybe when they hand the parts over from Continental to Stag (right next door) they remove some of the quality?

Seriously, we all know that Mil-Spec is a good thing, but the Pentagon will buy from the lowest bidder who can meet their specifications. Just cause Uncle Sam uses it doesn't mean there is no equal.

I am not bashing Colt, If I could afford more than one AR I'd consider one myself. I just haven't heard anything about the "lesser" manufacturers having a higher failure rate... Aside from third hand "well, the pros say it's so". Lets see some first hand info from these pros. Show me that and I'll be humbled.

Just for giggles I Googled both "Colt AR-15 failures" and "Stag Arms AR-15 failures". Not too surprised that my half hearted unscientific experiment turned up more info on Colt failures... They have been around longer. My point is, it's one thing to make unfounded claims. I'm asking you to show me.

Last edited by wyobohunter; February 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:23 AM   #11
Ben Towe

Quote:
Lets see some first hand info from these pros. Show me that and I'll be humbled.
More pointedly, I'd like to see it from a pro who isn't getting free guns and money from said companies.

I saw a torture test on a Daniel Defense AR and I wasn't terribly impressed. Not that it performed poorly, but it didn't excel either. When poured full of sand and dirt it malfunctioned; when they froze it to -40°, it malfunctioned; when they blew it up, it bent the buffer tube, causing a malfunction, etc.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:41 AM   #12
Quentin2

Quote:
... My point is, it's one thing to make unfounded claims. I'm asking you to show me.
This works both ways. Why not show us how Colt isn't as good as Stag.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:26 AM   #13
BIG P

OH BOY, Ford & Chevy,Ruger or Smith Thing.Own them both havent seen either one show leaps& bounds over the other,thousands of rounds from both.
Both need TLC to keep them running.
AK WHOLE DIFFERENT ANIMAL
Old February 6, 2013, 07:07 AM   #14
wyobohunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post
This works both ways. Why not show us how Colt isn't as good as Stag.
I never claimed it isn't, I even said that I've fired plenty of ammo through a Colt in tough conditions and, to be specific - Kuwaiti desert, Jungles of Okinawa and Singapore and the Sierra mountains during winter. Colts are good, I agree.

My whole point is that it's a Ford vs Chevy thing. And trying to convince a guy he "shouldn't trust his life to anything but a Colt" is just as silly and unfounded as telling him he is an idiot for driving a (insert whatever brand auto here).

I'm not saying that the magic chart O' the AR isn't right, the more expensive manufacturers probably hand fit and do more QC. But just like any other weapon, once I've done my own reliability checks (put it through the paces) I'll trust my life to it. You shouldn't be too surprised that my 1911 isn't an Ed Brown (I wish), but I've put it through the paces and trust my families life to it. Same with my inferior yet 100% Stag.

Last edited by wyobohunter; February 6, 2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Cavitation

Stag is fine just get one with the plus package. That gives you a MP/HP tested bolt and a few other extras. Its worth the 75 bucks(i think).

I believe Stag to run right along with the best of them.

AL
Old February 6, 2013, 04:37 PM   #16
Skans

FAL. If I'm going into battle, I'm going to want a chrome bore and forged receiver.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:32 PM   #17
Quentin2

Quote:
Stag is fine just get one with the plus package. That gives you a MP/HP tested bolt and a few other extras. Its worth the 75 bucks(i think)...
Very good point, Al. But I've heard their Plus Package was $100. Anyway it's supposed to turn the commercial grade Stag into a milspec version using upgraded components.

Such as:

- 4150 barrel steel
- chrome lined barrel
- 1/7 Twist rifling
- M4 feed ramps
- Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel
- M-16 Bolt Carrier
- Heavy (H) buffer assembly

I applaud Stag for making this available but then PSA gives you all this for much less money.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:48 PM   #18
YankeeSpirit76

I've had a Stag for 4 years now and I use it a lot. I have nothing bad to say about it. It has never failed me in feeding, ejecting, or anything else, never, and it's dead balls accurate. I would put it up against any other AR.
Before Stag started making rifles, they used to make parts for NASA space missions. I think they know all about precision work.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:56 PM   #19
Quentin2

Quote:
...Before Stag started making rifles, they used to make parts for NASA space missions. I think they know all about precision work.
Hopefully they weren't the ones supplying faulty O-rings! Seriously, what parts DID they (or CMT) supply?
Old February 7, 2013, 05:00 PM   #20
sam colt

Adcor also has made lowers for Colt.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:09 PM   #21
dbldune

Model 8

I bought my first AR and it is a model 8 with the gas piston. Have run many rounds through it 223 and .22 cal.

Knock on wood no problems with it and enjoy shooting it.