The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 26, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
OEF-Vet

It cant get any easier folks.

NRA-ILA Write your Representatives

Al I hope you will let this one stick because after I did a search for contacting your Representatives here on TFL nothing came up.

This link couldn't be any easier to use. Just click the link put in your zip code and bang you can write all of your federal and or state reps in one easy step. The NRA-ILA does all the work for you so you have no excuse to not get involved.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old January 26, 2013, 05:18 PM   #2
speedrrracer

Also

http://www.firearmspolicy.org/take-action/

and of course

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html
Old January 26, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
arch308

Awesome! And very easy.
Lets go boys and girls, let them hear from ya!
Old January 26, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
MLeake

I have done that.

I have also contributed as able to both NRA-ILA and SAF, and suggest that others here might do the same, or else pick and support another worthy RKBA organization.

Votes talk. So does money for lobbying and litigation.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Tinner666

And the many Pro groups are posting the links all over FB. Feinstein has many paid ads there too. I wouldn't sign her petition though.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:15 PM   #6
TripHlx

Done and done. Made any easier, and it wouldn't hold any meaning.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:27 PM   #7
SamNavy

Done... submitted... and signing up for an NRA Life Membership.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:01 AM   #8
maestro pistolero

Done.

My Letter:

Dear (representative),

I am writing to express my deep concern with the disregard for Second Amendment rights that I have witnessed in many of our leaders. It seems that some in leadership positions don't understand the amendment, its purpose, history, breadth, or even how it actually functions to equalize the ability of citizen to resist violence.

While regulating the possession and use of firearms, to a point, is clearly within constitutional bounds, that regulation CANNOT extend to banning an entire class of weapons that are widely used for a plethora of lawful purposes, that are in common use, and that are the overwhelmingly most popular choice of the American people.

Many courts, including the US Supreme Court, have recognized that among the several important purposes of the 2nd amendment , are self-defense both in AND OUTSIDE the home, hunting, target shooting, and as an important safeguard against any future tyrannical government.

Long-standing prohibitions on felons, mentally ill, etc were correctly re-affirmed by the court.

The Supreme Court has opined in Heller vs DC (2008), and Chicago vs McDonald (2010) that the type of weapons that are protected by the constitution are, quite simply, "Those weapons that are in common use at the time". In another passage, the court found that "anything that constitutes a bearable arm" is protected under the Second Amendment.

There is no more popular rifle today than the semi-auto only, AR15 pattern rifle. Nor, ironically (despite recent mass shootings), no weapon used LESS in violent crime. In fact, according to the FBI uniform crime report, rifles of ALL TYPES are used in fewer than 600 of the 20,000 annual gun deaths.

The abject horror of mass murders understandably causes us to feels that something should be done. This is an admirable, natural, compassionate, human response.

Yet such rifles, and other rifles which share their performance characteristics, are ideal for defense, have saved thousands of lives as any police department will attest. There is good reason why nearly every modern police department have AR215 rifles with twenty or thirty-round magazines. They are the most effective tool to stop a violent attack.

The ammunition fired by these civilian, semi-automatic rifles, the 5.56/.223 caliber, is of a type which is far less likely, even than most handgun rounds, to over-penetrate building material, or multiple persons, thereby unnecessarily endangering innocent bystanders.

It may well be that the average citizen is far less likely to encounter armed criminals than the police. But once a citizen is confronted by criminals, they are the SAME criminal, JUST as dangerous, and the tools needed to defend from such an attack are the SAME. Indeed, the citizen will likely be on her own until police arrive, so the need to be adequately armed is even greater.

Ammunition magazine limits may SEEM like a reasonable step in curbing gun deaths, but the reality is that standard capacity magazines, such as 15 round pistols magazines, and 20 or 30- round rifle magazines are STANDARD, UBIQUITOUS, and will be EXACTLY the kind of firepower that citizens must defend against, should they encounter a criminal.

All too common in criminal attacks, multiple assailants compound the need for police and citizens to have sufficient ammunition to defend innocent life. This cannot be stressed enough. Even police regularly expend entire ammunition magazines to stop an single violent attack. Citizens do not typically have the same advantages of training, protective gear, the ability to call backup, or multiple force options. A citizen cannot reasonably be expected to defend their family against home invasion with multiple intruders using a ten round ammunition magazine.

For all of its various purposes, the very FUNCTION of the second amendment is to equalize the force used by citizens to defend against unjust violence, whatever the source. The government cannot restrict the magazine capacity of LAW ABIDING citizens without directly eviscerating the amendment for its core purpose of equalizing force. This is an important and fundamental fact based on the simple physics of use of force.

I thank you for your service and for carefully considering my comments.

Sincerely,
Christopher Hoffman
Old January 27, 2013, 08:30 AM   #9
wingman

Excellent guys,I've written my representatives, talking to all firearm owners I can to encourage them to do same and join NRA, I've given a couple family members gifts of NRA membership who are low on funds it helps to build NRA numbers certainly congress is aware of those stats, hopefully next election we can vote out the anti-gun crowd.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:11 PM   #10
MLeake

BTT.

Multiple links for contacting reps; this really should be a sticky.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:24 PM   #11
4runnerman

Done-Thanks for the link
Old February 3, 2013, 11:31 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

Just wrote them all again, thanks for keeping the links up as a reminder. I plan on doing this once a week for the remainder of the year.

Also, I'm already a life member, but I just donated a year's dues to the ILA division of the NRA. It's going to cost a lot of money to protect our rights this year and next.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:59 AM   #13
rebs

Get all you know that are gun owners to write their reps.

"Hunters beware the bolt action deer rifle of today will be the newly named sniper rifle of tomorrow and it will be banned as well."

Please take action now to prevent this !