The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 17, 2013, 12:03 PM   #1
johnmcgowan

When do you use your coyote locater call?

Howdy,
I have been getting into yote calling for a few months and am really enjoying it so far . None dropped on the ground yet but it wont be long, LOL .
I want to ask when do you use your coyote locater sound/call? Do you use it the very first thing once you get to your stand to see if any are around or just what? Will they answer right back to the bark sounds of the locator ?
Is there a certain time of day that you WOULD NOT use the locator, such as mid-day or evening ?
I have a Johnny Stewart PM-4 digital caller that has the locator sound as well as a number of different rabbit distress calls.
I also have a Predator Quest Ruffie dog Jr. hand call that I have been practicing with and am getting decent with that.
I dont want to scare away any yotes that may be in the area if I were to put out the locator sound at the wrong time, know what I mean?
Give me some tips on what works for you if you wouldnt mind, and I thank you.
John
Old January 17, 2013, 03:10 PM   #2
rickyrick

I use a howl from an open reed call, but rarely need to do so. I hunt the same area and I know where they tend to be. I hunt mostly at night, so I usually wait until they start then I join in. Barks and yips should get them curious enough to investigate. Too much and they'll figure out that its not a coyote......if they respond with what I can best describe as "chattering" along with barking and yipping....sadly, you've been busted and they are warning the others. Be careful not to give a warning to them too. However it can be intertaining to imitate the coyote every time they give a warning, they get riled up and irritated, but they most likely won't show themselves.

If you know their routes and you hear them close by you can stay hidden and at times shoot them without calling.

Advanced scouting helps, you can find tracks on cattle trails fairly easy and check fences for hair, to find preferred entrances. The same tactic can be used to ambush pigs.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Locator call in the form of emergency siren sounds??? Fire those off as you leave the "hard road" over the PA horn behind the grill to determine how you work your way to your stand or which stand on the property you need to go to...

But i am lazy

brent
Old January 17, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4
rickyrick

The sirene don't work around here due to the fact that ranchers use them to call the cows in for the cow goodies.

Lol. A large crowd of unintended visitors of the bovine variety can be an inconvenience
Old January 17, 2013, 10:48 PM   #5
"JJ"

Depends on your hunting properties.

In my opinion if you are hunting public grounds, like in Nevada where you can hunt 80% of the state, you would use the locator the night before your hunt to pinpoint the current location of the family unit.
As for my hunting grounds, smaller properties here and there, I hunt when and where I can. I have tried the locating howl the night before a morning hunt and have got no response when I knew coyotes were there and I have gotten a response and called nothing in the next day!

During the breeding season, now for my area, I will use more coyote vocals or howls. But I keep them high pitched to imitate a younger coyote so that I might not intimidate the locals.
Most of my howls are more like the female invitation howl or a young interrogation howl.
Coyote vocals are difficult to translate, for me anyway! I would watch as many videos of actual coyote howls as you can find as reference.
However you can always speak to their belly!
Old January 27, 2013, 12:33 AM   #6
RockyMtnDan

Early in the season I start a stand with distress calls and don't howl unless they an unproductive. By this time of year I'm starting each stand with a few high pitched howls and as the season progresses will be using more and more howls and less of the distress calls. Mating season tends to make howling more productive.