The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 27, 2012, 04:18 PM   #1
colefield

Body Armor

This stuff looks impressive for the price. What all does everyone else have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKX8Q3PMwsE

its made by this company.

http://www.steeldefender.com/

with all the stories recently, i'd be wearing one hunting, target shooting, mowing the lawn, or sleeping. its a crazy world, only going to get crazier!
Old February 29, 2012, 02:06 AM   #2
mellow_c

Sigh....

Ok... I'll be the first one to humour this thread with a response. Because I have a question.

Yes, that plate looks like it would stop most rounds quite well. I'd think it would be a good buy. But I feel like I've heard that Steel plates are not only heavier, but they will also direct the splash of the impacting bullet in a 360 degree spread which includes right up into your face??? Is that correct?

You could always do like the myth busters and either make a suit or line your vehicle with phone books!
Old March 1, 2012, 09:02 AM   #3
colefield

Good question, I think just metal does this on its own and there are videos out there to substantiate that, as I have seen this on other blogs. However this does not take into account all factors, such as bullet trajectory or a plate inside of a vest. Dependent on many factors I would assume anything is plausible.

I don't know if you have seen field testing on Dragon Skin, but it is amazing, however there is a weak spot in that if the impact is from a low enough angle, its useless.

At any rate, if I were looking for something inexpensive and had the ability to guard my heart, lungs, and all other vitals in the torso, I think I'm going with something similar.

just my humble opinion.