The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 28, 2009, 07:30 PM   #1
musicman

Grease

Has anyone ever used synthetic grease on their colt navy under the cylinder? Just curious. John
Old May 28, 2009, 07:53 PM   #2
long rider

I used it on my cylinder pin on my 58 remmi,
it was ok? but i went back to my beeswax
and crisco mix, its my all rounder, i use it on
top of my ballserrr led balls that is, and on
the cylinder pin works just fine.
Old May 28, 2009, 08:41 PM   #3
scrat

i will stick to bore butter
Old May 28, 2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Quote:
i will stick to bore butter
Ditto
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 28, 2009, 11:31 PM   #5
madcratebuilder

I use some of my home made grease cookies. Just beeswax, Ballistol and paraffin.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:50 AM   #6
musicman

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, words I want don't come when I need them anymore. This old age thing isn't pretty. I was thinking of on the arbor of the colts. I use the cookies too in the cylinder. John
Old May 29, 2009, 07:30 AM   #7
olmontanaboy

Quote:
Sorry I didn't make myself clear, words I want don't come when I need them anymore. This old age thing isn't pretty.
Lol, I know the feeling
Old May 29, 2009, 09:20 AM   #8
Noz

Fingers taught me that condition is called "CRS- Can't Remember [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]"
Old May 29, 2009, 09:51 AM   #9
SamStafford

CRS hits me a few times. And I'm only 41!!!
Old May 29, 2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Fingers McGee

Quote Musicman
Quote:
Sorry I didn't make myself clear, words I want don't come when I need them anymore. This old age thing isn't pretty. I was thinking of on the arbor of the colts. I use the cookies too in the cylinder. John
Uh-Oh .......... I knew exactly what you meant what does that say?

Quote Noz
Quote:
Fingers taught me that condition is called "CRS- Can't Remember [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]"
There is a companion condition known as AAADD - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 29, 2009, 01:47 PM   #11
noelf2

I call it "sometimers". Not quite Alzheimers yet.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:41 PM   #12
mykeal

Oh, it's not so bad. The older I get the prettier I get. Honest.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:49 PM   #13
Hawg

It's not that I have attention deficit disorder it's just that HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!
Old May 30, 2009, 01:44 AM   #14
Chuck Dye

Fighting the fouling problem, I packed the base pin of my Armi San Paolo 1858 Remington replica with a silicone grease used by SCUBA divers for o-ring seals, Zip-Slip brand. The stuff will sit atop molten lead without any noticeable effect. It worked pretty well but I cannot compare it to any other solution. I suspect that anything that will stay put, not flowing when warmed by the heat of firing, will do the job. Cleaning will be eased if the packing you choose surrenders quickly to the cleaning solvents you use.
Old May 30, 2009, 03:58 AM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
Cleaning will be eased if the packing you choose surrenders quickly to the cleaning solvents you use.
That's the thing right there. BP cleans up with soap and water. Smokeless solvents do nothing for it. It's ok to use petroleum based products in non fouling areas but get it in the bore or chambers and you're gonna have a tough time cleaning it.
Old May 30, 2009, 05:32 PM   #16
emishi

Grease

I use Dupont's Teflon/White Lithium Grease (spray can) on both the arbor and the internals. I haven't had a problem with seizing, though I've not had an extended time yet to really test the product. I will say that 2000 grit emory on the internals, a piano-wire trigger/bolt spring and the Dupont product makes for a very smooth action.
Old June 5, 2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Smokin' gun

I use thompsons 17 breach plug grease for hammer hand and the just a little on the sear spring. I use to lubricate parts with "dam good oil" but I don't like it since I found Ballistol. Ballistol is great! But T17 is the only grease that I like
Old June 5, 2009, 07:51 PM   #18
Andy Griffith

Sit down the can of petroleum product slowly and no one will get hurt!!!

Seriously, I have quit using anything derived from petroleum products on my firearms- black or smokeless powder ones.

I don't care if it is a Remington 11-87, I'm going to use hot soap and water.
That petroleum stuff will poison you!
But besides that, soap and water will not cut it off- but you have to get it off because after firing, it contains corrosives from your black powder.
Old June 5, 2009, 08:09 PM   #19
Smokin' gun

wait a minute-I'm confused. You sqeeze lead balls in the chamber. Lead will poison you. You breath the smoke that comes from firing. That'll poison you. What non petroleum product would you recomend. Olive oil?
Old June 6, 2009, 12:20 AM   #20
Andy Griffith

Bore butter, or one of the old concoctions that was recommended to me by a member here in this forum- equal parts of tallow/beeswax/paraffin.

Renaissance wax is the best preservative and protectant there is.
Old June 6, 2009, 11:21 AM   #21
SamStafford

I heard of people useing olive oil. I tried some on my 58 Remmy and so far so good. It's cheap too.
Old June 6, 2009, 04:19 PM   #22
Gatofeo

Actually, if you're referring to me, I never recommended [I]equal[I] parts tallow, beeswax and paraffin.

Gatofeo No. 1 lubricant is composed of:
1 part canning paraffin (for its purity)
1 part mutton tallow (for its mystical properties pertaining to black powder)
1/2 part beeswax (the real stuff, not the synthetic found in most toilet seals sold today)

All measures are by weight, not voume. A kitchen scale measuring 200/200/100 grams of ingredients will fill a widemouth Mason jar about 3/4. Put this jar, with the lid barely screwed down, into 3 or 4 inches of boiling water in a pot.
This double-boiler effect is the safest way to melt waxes.
When all ingredients are melted, stir together with a clean stick or disposable chopstick.
Allow to cool at room temperature. Don't put the melted lubricant in the fridge or the ingredients may separate.

This is the best black powder lubricant I've yet found for wads, patches, lead bullets and fiber wads for shotguns.
However, it's too stiff for use on the cylinder pins of cap and ball revolvers.
For that, I use CVA Grease Patch, sold in a black tube.
I'm unsure if this product is still made and I'm down to my last tube. It appears to be a mix of beeswax and natural oil, perhaps olive or vegetable oil.
I remain uncertain how to duplicate it, or anything like it.
For lack of the CVA Grease Patch, use Bore Butter on the cylinder pin. I also put a thin coat on the sides of the hammer and hammer-channel in the frame. This reduces friction as the hammer is cocked or falls.
After the interior parts are disassembled and dry, I put copious amounts of CVA Grease Patch inside the mechanism. This ensures plenty of lubrication to the bolt, hand, lower hammer portion, roller on the hammer that rides along the top of he srping (in the Colts) and makes cleaning easier later on.
A little bit of this natural grease should also be applied to the threads of the nipples, to make their removal easier after a day's firing.

Refer to my sticky above, "So you want a cap and ball revolver?" for even more information about shooting such pistols.
Old June 6, 2009, 04:47 PM   #23
Andy Griffith

Sorry Gatofeo...

I was trying to quote it from memory...which isn't too good sometimes.

I will attest that the recipe works!
However, I tried it by volume, and I am not certain what kind of difference it makes (volume vs. weight) because I only made a bit over a pint of it- but it works great.
Old June 6, 2009, 05:06 PM   #24
arcticap

I wouldn't be surprised if CVA Grease Patch contains mineral oil just like Bore Butter does:

https://herbsofmexico.com/store/inde...oducts_id=2652
Old June 6, 2009, 05:15 PM   #25
Smokin' gun

We tried olive oil but you get that kitchen smelll! I've heard that a mixture of olive--castor--small amount of lanolin is good---but never tried it. And don't remember the ratio. Vegetable oils are good but gummy--are they not? T 17 breach plug grease is good if you use just a little on your delicate parts! I have crs. I now remember I ain't supposed to talk about hammers and grease-sorry. And ya'll didn't suggest me a good name or tell me about the lower price brass revolvers. PEACE:}