The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2013, 08:14 PM   #1
mmb713

Collet style bullet puller

I need to disassemble 50 rounds of 357 Magnum with XTPs, a little oops on my part. Nothing potentially disastrous just mixed up a bunch of different load levels I was working up. My kinetic puller is not up to the job, new cases and the neck tension is really good, which is not good for a kinetic bullet puller. The bullets are not crimped yet though. Can anyone recommend a good collet type puller that won't damage the bullets? Midway shows several. What are your experiences and which are the better ones?
Old June 22, 2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Travelin' Man

I use the Hornady collet bullet puller for these type of situations, granted usually I used if for rifle rounds but I can easily pull the bullets from 50 rounds in the matter of under 10 minutes and the really good thing about doing it that way is that you can just take the case and dump the powder back into you powder jug without fear of losing any.
Old June 22, 2013, 10:09 PM   #3
SVTCobra306

I use Hornady's puller also, only complaint is that collets seem to be harder to find for it than RCBS. Might be the same ones but I'm unwilling to spend money to find out LOL. With rifle rounds, I have found that running the cartridge in as far as possible with the collet contacting the bullet where it meets the brass, it leaves no noticeable mark on the bullet. Haven't tried any pistol rounds with it.
Old June 23, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4
F. Guffey

“Hornady collet bullet puller” ?? and unwilling to take the chance they are the same, I have both, they are not the same, could be confusing but the collet used by Hornady is for the Cam-Lock bullet puller, I purchased the RCBS Colet bullet puller because the Hornady spent more time waiting for parts than I spent using it. NOW? All I do is talk about owning the Hornady Cam-Lock bullet puller.

The RCBS puller is like a TIMEX.

F. Guffey
Old June 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Greg Mercurio

Both Hornady Cam Lock and RCBS Bullet Puller are collet type bullet pullers. The Hornady uses a lever/cam to close the collet, the RCBS a screw. I have both and I don't have a preference. Both are equally facile in pulling bullets. Availability of collets would be the determining factor. Check before you buy. The collets are not interchangeable.
Old June 23, 2013, 07:52 PM   #6
SouthGA

I use the RCBS Collet, bullet puller and it works very well.
Old June 23, 2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
Nothing potentially disastrous just mixed up a bunch of different load levels I was working up.
If you are certain of this, it sure sounds like a lot of work and time... I'd shoot them.

You won't get them out in pristine shape, they'll be "safe" for re-use, but you'll compromise the ability of whatever round you next make with them.

If they are safe, shoot them.

This way, you also end up with a bunch of brass that is ready to be re-processed.
Old June 25, 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
schmellba99

I have the RCBS. Works just fine whenever I need it.

And even if it is a collet style puller, you'd have to crank down like a mofo on the projectle to distort it enough to have degredation in accuracy - especially in a .357 pistol round that is not going to be super accurate at distance as it is.

Crank down until the collets are snug, then start lowering your press ram. If the projo slides, reset and tighten just a hair more. You'll figure out pretty quick how much torque to put on the collet to get a firm grip without so much as a mark on the copper jacket.
Old June 26, 2013, 05:36 PM   #9
stubbicatt

The Hornady looks like it would be a faster tool to use. I have read elsewhere that it is prone to breakage... maybe they are gorilla handloaders using the tool, I don't know.

The RCBS collet bullet puller I have used for many years without any issues. It is sort of slow going until you learn the amount of tension you need to successfully pull a bullet, but once you develop a feel for it you can pull bullets without harming them for reuse.

Regards,
Stubb
Old June 27, 2013, 04:47 AM   #10
salvadore

I agree with sevens, it's only 50 rounds. I just shot up a coupla hundred rounds I had acquired in the las 12 years from stuff left over etc. in my M-28. Ended up with the brass and a good time rolling tin cans.