The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 20, 2013, 05:13 PM   #26
Dadsgirl

Vanya, we are keeping a few of the heirloom ones. I have a shotgun from my great-grandmother (she was a spirited lady!), and the first rifle my dad bought me. My uncle found a couple more that were meaningful. I need to go through them and see if I recognize any as being his favorites. Most of them though, were not that meaningful to him and can be sold.
Old May 20, 2013, 05:14 PM   #27
Dadsgirl

+1K ammo, I'm so sorry for your loss as well. It's emotional to go through it all.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:16 AM   #28
+1k ammo

Thanks Dadsgirl. Even I knew he was sick it is still emotional. We had just picked up new Taurus polymer revolver cause he could not rack slide on any of his guns but he never got to try it out. I'm going to take mom and brother out and we will test it out for him.
But on the selling issue Cmss is prob. Right. If I had personal auction it would be locals and local gun dealers that would not be a lot.
Back 70s our neighbor died sudden heart attack and wife had my Dad come take them all and sell them. All I remember was a trunk full of guns. She said he could pick one of the guns as commission (darn I don't know which one)
So if you can find someone you trust that would be best. It would be on gun broker anyway so you could see also.
Old May 22, 2013, 04:25 PM   #29
Dadsgirl

+1k ammo, awww what a great thing to do! I wish I could leave one of dad's guns on his grave-- maybe we will put something like that on the grave stone. We still have not picked one out yet.

I talked to the friend at length last night-- turns out my dad stored many more firearms at the friend's house and didn't want his wife to know about it. So we have a total of about 100 long guns!(!!) and a few handguns. No wonder he didn't have any savings!

The friend has said the auction house we are using is both local and internet based and may sell some of the more "odd" ones more effectively because it will reach greater markets. They have a good reputation and 10% commission which is fair. We also have been pushing the friend to take a couple of the guns for himself for his trouble but he's being too nice about it so far.

Let this be a lesson for everyone-- if you have a lot of firearms please mention them in your will, or leave a list of inventory and descriptions for your next of kin. Thank goodness we have a very honest friend here, he has known our family for many years and is a good person. Otherwise we may have not known about the other half of his collection.

As far as the papers, apparently the majority of them were already sent to the proper authorities per regulations when dad quit the business and that has been wrapped up neatly and is over. What we have found are copies that can be shredded.

Last edited by Dadsgirl; May 22, 2013 at 04:30 PM.