The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Would you use your own reloads for your Self Defense carry ammunition?
Yes 97 66.44%
No 49 33.56%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 12, 2012, 09:24 PM   #26
rdmallory

A lot of the time I don't know what is in the gun at any given time.

If I am going to or from the range my carry piece may or may not have my reloads in it. After shooting 300-rounds or so at the stills or 500 or so rounds at the steel pop ups. I try to keep one mag full to dive home until I can clean and reload. I shoot mostly my reloads but I will shoot factory carry rounds to make sure they group the same. More times than I like to admit I have driving home with a empty gun.

If I am just going out and not going to shoot it is a good change it is hydroshocks. But if it is to or from the range or the day I have been to the range I will be happy I don't have the throw it at the BG.

Doug
Old February 12, 2012, 09:50 PM   #27
Sarge

I see a concept repeated here that fits my situation to a T: reloads may just be what is kept in a particular gun. In fact, any centerfire on the place is more likely to be stoked with reloads than anything else. If I run into town for a few minutes, I ain't changing clothes, loads or anything else.
Old February 12, 2012, 10:09 PM   #28
rclark

Haven't bought factory ammo for so long ...... No reason to start now.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 13, 2012, 08:24 PM   #29
benzuncle

Quote:
The more prevailing factor will be if the shooting was justfied. Not what was used to do the shooting.
I'm in complete agreement with M&P45ACP. It's not what you use to stop a perp or protect yourself and/or loved ones. The question is "Was it justified?"
If you bash a perp's head in with a toilet tank lid, was it justified or not. It's not whether you built the lid yourself or bought it from the Home Depot.
I can load 230gr FMJ's with the same charge as I do my 230gr Remington Golden Saber SD rounds so the firearms react as close as possible with every shot. I cannot afford to shoot 20-round boxes of Golden Sabers with any regularity. I also shoot 1-handed a lot because you may not have the opportunity to "Weaver Up".
Old February 13, 2012, 09:01 PM   #30
Cornbread

Not only would I--- I do. I carry a 45 . I load Hornady XTP and that is what I practice with. Don’t think it would be any different than explaining the purchase of a off the shelf critical home defense ++++ P hollow points in court. Might be better not loaded as hot…
Old February 14, 2012, 06:02 PM   #31
henry-ctc

Yes, I do

But I do after getting thousands of handloaded rounds without any missfire, any malfunction and not even an squib or double charge whatsoever (CZ75, Glock17 and HKUSP pistols, all of them in 9 mm loaded to same specs.). And only in the caliber I have experience with. As I get the same skills with others I´ll do without any doubt.

I must accept I´ve got plenty of time for my fovorite hobby, using a single stage press, a poor powder dispenser (The not so perfect one) But checking everything twice.

I don´t cast yet, but I use the best bullets available. For SD I can fin GD´s, XTP´s and any other fmjhp that I may think about. Anyway my favorite choice and, in fact, the only one is Hornady XTP for SD. And for practice there are same shaped, same weight FMJ or plated bullets. No need to change my dies, same OAL, and many times same charge of powder.

OTOH I don´t find any reason to speak about this issue in bad manners.
Old February 14, 2012, 06:31 PM   #32
sserdlihc

I don't use reloads for my CCW. I only use reloads for practice ammo and hunting ammo. Use Hornady critical defense ammo for my ccw.
Old February 14, 2012, 08:47 PM   #33
Edward429451

As a longtime hand loader it goes against every grain of my gun sense to think that I had to use factory ammo to win. I can easily show that I am in more control of my weapon if it is indeed stoked with (the loads in it) my hand loads.

I'll take my chances in court and stick with my loads. I'm not going to shoot the perp unless it is clearly justified and necessary to do so. If I ever do have trouble of the gravest nature, I'll bet money that it happens at home and not on the street so if that happens I have my Castle Doctrine and they shouldn't even take my gun. On the street it would be hard to get close to me.
Old February 14, 2012, 10:39 PM   #34
MOshooter65202

I voted "No" to carrying handloads for ccw for legal reasons
Old February 15, 2012, 12:34 AM   #35
Volucris

Considering the ammunition I practice with are reloads I'd use the same load for defense. I would defend that I only attempted to duplicate factory ammunition to save money and utilize a process I myself could trust as I cannot oversee factory production myself.

Moral of the story? Kill whoever attacks you and don't let them live. It's easier when they can't speak.
Old February 15, 2012, 01:13 AM   #36
Jammer Six

Quote:
Kill whoever attacks you and don't let them live. It's easier when they can't speak.
I didn't realize you were in law enforcement.

What mall do you work at?
Old February 15, 2012, 01:46 AM   #37
BDM 9MM

For myself and all of the classes I have taught - I have always suggested to search out what your local LEO uses and carry that ammo, if it works 100% in your firearm. One less hurdle for your defense to climb over. You may not - but I feel it is a valid concern. Your milage may and can vary. Dan
Old February 15, 2012, 07:56 AM   #38
Don P

Lets start a pool to see how long it takes to get this thread closed. No duds to date with factory ammo and just this Saturday 4 no bangs with my reloads. I'll stick with factory ammo for SD for reliability and other reasons which I will not state for not wanting to start the old argument up.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:07 AM   #39
Uncle Buck

For my primary self defense gun: I will stick to factory ammo.

For my use around the house/farm/garage (on my own property): What-ever I happen to have.

If I am in my reloading room, or at the range, and something happened, I am going to use what I have in my gun at the time.

On my night stand: Factory.

Why would I prefer to use factory ammo? Read some of the stories in the sticky the staff has posted. Those folks went through heck. I do not need to give an unfriendly prosecutor more to work with.
Old February 15, 2012, 11:39 AM   #40
Clark

I will carry handloads, but I will not carry a home made knife.

If I were to use a knife in self defense that was home made, the prosecutor could paint a picture of me in some kind of leather S&M blacksmith outfit.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 15, 2012, 12:12 PM   #41
Sevens

We've read about YOUR "handloads", Clark.

Is the idea to submit quickly to an attacker and HOPE that he gets your weapon and tries to discharge it?! j/k
Old February 16, 2012, 12:45 PM   #42
Clark

I use my custom handloads to make my small carry pistols more powerful.

Not available in any store.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 16, 2012, 03:27 PM   #43
Sevens

I was referring to your handloads that grenade firearms for the purpose of research.
Old February 17, 2012, 02:08 PM   #44
AFK

I stick to factory ammo for CCW. I may be completely wrong, but it might be easier to convince a jury if you are using critical defense loads intead of "sitting at home, making your own ammo, hoping to use it" That being said, I practice with reloads 100% of the time, but I always have the critical defense ammo for when I am carrying
Old February 17, 2012, 02:30 PM   #45
Alaska444

This issue came up in my first CCW class. The instructor is a nationally known firearms expert who testifies on firearms cases quite frequently. His advice, DON'T USE RELOADS.

His reasoning is based on the type of defense costs this adds to the case. His estimate is that it will add nearly $100,000 to the case. It begins with a firearms expert observing you do your reloads and any errors you make become part of the legal record. They take these loads as well as those remaining in your weapon and do expensive ballistic tests.

In addition, the ability to corroborate your story of how far you were from the other person may not be reproducible and you can be accused of not using enough restraint since they could allege the person was further from you by powder tests than you claim.

Mas Ayoob also notes a case where a husband was convicted of murder due to light loads he made for his wife that he alleges she used to kill herself. Due to the lack of powder burns, he was convicted. Only the Lord knows the true story.

In any case, factory ammo will have their own experts and their own ballistics data for all of these things.

For me, even though I don't handload, I wouldn't use handloads for SD anyway.
Old February 17, 2012, 02:40 PM   #46
David Bachelder

I never buy factory rounds any more, so my SD rounds will be reloads.

My wifes SD gun is a revolver. If a semi auto fails to fire she'd have to take the time to re-chamber a round. If her revolver fails she is instructed to pull the trigger again, and keep pulling the trigger until the threat stops. I'd guess the revolver is a lot faster.

My SD gun is a Glock 23. So if I get into a bind, I'll just shout for her.

No brainer.

If I get into trouble for shooting a threat to my life,family or property with a reload .... so be it. The threat will have been removed. Its a trade I'm willing to take.

I live in Texas where as far as I know defending your life, property and family with deadly force is legal. If I lived in a state where it was not, I'd most likely move.

OCYMMV

Self Defense Laws in Texas: http://www.self-defender.net/law3.htm
Old February 17, 2012, 03:47 PM   #47
Jammer Six

When questioned, Ayoob has never provided a valid legal citation for any of his claims.

Ever.

He has, however, provided false citations that led to other cases.

I was not impressed.
Old February 17, 2012, 04:25 PM   #48
SHR970

Quote:
Alaska444 wrote: Mas Ayoob also notes a case where a husband was convicted of murder due to light loads he made for his wife that he alleges she used to kill herself. Due to the lack of powder burns, he was convicted.
What seems to not be brought up about the Daniel Bias case is that Dainel stated that he tried to take the gun from his wife's left hand when she "committed suicide". Lisa bias was right handed. Daniel puts the gun in his own hand and his own statements contradict a key item of personal knowledge.

State forensic scientist George Hickman said he tested Mrs. Bias' nightgown and hair from the area of the bullet wound. He said no gunshot residue or singeing was found.

"It won't matter what kind of ammunition you have in a weapon, there would still be gunshot residue given off from the cylinder and muzzle," Hickman explained. He noted that the greater the distance between a target and a firearm, the lesser the amount of residue one will find at the target.

Richard Bisbane, a microscopy expert from Chicago, testified that excluding bullet lead, he found no gunshot residue in Mrs. Bias' autopsy tissues. He said he examined autopsy tissue slides made by Warren County Medical Examiner Isidore Mihalakis. Bisbane looked for particles found along the wound track.

The case was New Jersy Vs. Daniel Bias.

Even a light charge of Bullseye at suicide distance would leave residue. Parts of the story don't add up. The lack of residue made it easy for the prosecution to go back to "it couldn't have happened the way he said it did". Two juries were hung on Murder but the 3rd jury found for Reckless Manslaughter.

There is a HUGE difference between shooting a stanger who broke into your home and shooting your spouse in the eyes of the D.A. and a jury.

Daniel Bias was convicted on a totality of the evidence; not the single point that handloads were involved.
Old February 17, 2012, 04:28 PM   #49
Pbearperry

Just for once I would love to see an actual case where someone involved in a good,clean shoot,was put through the wringer for using handloads.To me,this is as rediculous as someone giving his car a tuneup at home and getting in an accident.I call B.S on this urban legend.
Old February 17, 2012, 04:36 PM   #50
parttime

For personel protection I use Factory loads.

From the Factory in my basement!!