The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 23, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Freedomisdebatable

1909 mauser

My son in law aquired his grandfathers hunting rifle recently. Unfortunately the bolt and trigger assm are missing and their whereabouts are only known by the deceased. The rifle is a 1909 argentine mauser caliber unknown. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old January 24, 2011, 04:32 AM   #2
Scorch

You can buy complete bolt assemblies for any of the Mauser 98 variants fairly reasonably. Check Numrich Arms.

Trigger assemblies are available from a variety of makers, Bold is the cheapest, Jewell is one of the most expensive, Timney fits the bill most of the time. Check Boyds or Midway.
Old January 24, 2011, 10:00 AM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
The rifle is a 1909 argentine mauser caliber unknown.
The rifle would have originally been chambered in 7.65x53mm Mauser, also known as 7.65 Mauser, 7.65 Argentine, or 7.65 Belgian. Although the cartridge was widely used by several other countries, it's most commonly associated with Argentina, partially because of the large number of milsurp Argentine rifles sold in North America and partially because Argentina kept using it long after most of its other military users had converted to other ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.65x53mm_Argentine

Ammo is still available from Prvi Partizan, Hornady, and Norma, but you may have to mail-order it because most gun stores no longer stock it. Like some other milsurp cartridges such an 6.5mm Carcano and 7.7mm Japanese, it was commonplace as a budget hunting cartridge for "sporterized" rifles in the years following WWII, but most of these guns have long since been beaten to death and the cartridge has largely fallen into disuse.

Also, please note that my first sentence says "originally"; IIRC the Argentine Modelo 1909 uses a variant of the legendary Mauser Model 98 action. Since they were not worth very much for a long time, South American Model 98-type Mausers commonly became fodder for gunsmith conversion projects in the 1930s-1950s when most quality American-made bolt-actions were very expensive. These conversions usually involved rechambering the gun in a more commonplace North American cartridge such as .30-06. However, if the rifle appears largely original, it's probably still chambered for the original cartridge, since most conversion projects also involved substantial cosmetic modifications.
Old January 24, 2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

You can buy bolt's and standard Mauser 98 trigger assemblies several places.
NOTE: That bolts MUST be fitted to the rifle and head spaced by a gunsmith.
Simply sticking a bolt in and firing it is an excellent way to have pieces of the rifle in your face and eyes.

The trigger assembly will also need to be checked to insure the safety on the bolt operates properly. Mis-fit parts can cause the safety to refuse to turn or the rifle to fired when the safety is switched off.

Since the Model 1909 is a standard large ring 98 Mauser, any number of other Mauser model rifle bolts can be used, BUT, you need to have a gunsmith decide what will fit.
I'd suggest taking the rifle to a good gunsmith and let him get and fit the parts.

For Mauser 98 bolts and trigger assemblies see here:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=313

http://ssporters.com/Parts%20Listing%20Page.htm
Old January 24, 2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Freedomisdebatable

1909 mauser

Thanks I was unaware that the bolts interchange with a k98. Thought it was model specific. I'll take it to my gunsmith of course, I like trigger work and refinishing but I know when to let the pro take over. I thought I was at a brick wall with this.....thanks again!
Old January 25, 2011, 12:08 AM   #6
HankC1

1909 mauser info
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...bine/index.asp
Old February 6, 2011, 03:06 PM   #7
eddy2419

As carguychris mentioned, it may be rechambered for 30'06. Even though the 30'06 is slightly smaller, many 1909's were rechambered. I bought mine at a pam shop for the action. The barrel was stamped 30'06 but would not chamber a 30'06 cartridge. Have a gunsmith check it well.

As far as the trigger group and bolt missing, maybe he took them to a gunsmith? May be worth calling his smith if you know who he used.
Old February 21, 2011, 05:00 AM   #8
Ben Towe

A word of caution. I have read about some 1909 Mausers that had very soft steel in the receiver. So soft that the locking lugs would mash into the receiver in very few shots. I believe these have a third lug to help prevent excessive headspace conditions. A competent gunsmith should notice this right away. I would have it looked over before buying any parts or firing it should the original bolt and trigger turn up.