The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2009, 11:10 PM   #1
bryceh12321

Reloading Question

Bear with me here I'm kind of new to the whole reloading thing...I am wondering what exactly this Hornady Lock N' Load Conversion Bushing Kit is for. What exact advantage does it give you? And what exactly is the 'Lock N' Load System'? Thanks a bunch.
Old March 11, 2009, 11:14 PM   #2
fbrown333@suddenlink

It alows you to set your dies,then you can take the set out and when you place them back in the press they are still set and no need to adjust them. It makes changing calibers faster when reloading for multiple firearms.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Thirties

What is unclear to me is why not simply use locking rings on your dies. All dies come with them, except Lee.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:18 AM   #4
FlyFish

It's a system that works in conjunction with the regular locking rings to allow quicker die changes. It's similar to the so-called bayonet mounts that SLR cameras use - the press has the female part of the bayonet and the male part is threaded onto the die and then adjusted and locked in place with the die locking nut. It works fine - I have a LnL AP and have also adapted my old Rockchucker to use the LnL system - but the time saved is really minimal because all it really does is save the small amount of time it takes to screw a die into the press.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:27 AM   #5
wncchester

Ditto to Mr. Thirty.

Seems the current "quick swap die insert" fad is pointless. With a three die set and my single stage press I can swap dies in maybe 40 seconds, total. Even with inserts it might take 10 seconds, saving 30 seconds at high cost! We do like our little gimmicks but that's really not a lot of "saved" time and it's totally insignificant in a two hour loading session. Or a thirty minute session. So...????

The frequently voiced concerns about having to "reset" dies with working lock rings is an even bigger puzzle to me.

What am I missing here? I wonder how long will it take for the quick change bushing craze to burn itself out, like the CCI/RCBS "primers in a fast loading plastic strip" did?
Old March 12, 2009, 11:53 AM   #6
TheNatureBoy

I like the quick swap die option offered by Lee and others personally and have purchased them for each set of dies I own. I'm fairly new to reloading and don't have the experience of reloading/setting dies with out them. My concern is that I don't have to reset my dies after using and removing them from the press, not how much time I can save.
Old March 12, 2009, 06:05 PM   #7
mikld

I would strongly suggest everyone learn how to properly adjust their reloading dies. With practice it only takes a few seconds. If you don't know how to adjust the dies how can you troubleshoot any chambering, seating, or crimping problems?

Tags
bushings , conversion , kit , reloading