The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2005, 01:13 AM   #1
cdc

Recommendations for rifled slugs to try in my new 870

Unfortunately at a still target, slugs is all I can currently shoot at local ranges. So... I am going to buy a bunch of different slugs to try/test out in my new 870 to see which ones group the best at 25 yards. I have found and will list below the ones I already have selected to buy and try to see which slugs my 870 likes best for accuracy. Here is the basic gun setup:

- Remington 870 Express Magnum
- 18" VangComp (VCS) Smoothbore barrel. I believe this is a police 18" barrel with a fixed Imp. Cyl. Choke.
- ATN Ultra Digital Reflex Sight
- Trigger job with about 3.5 pound crisp pull
- Knoxx SpecOps stock (I am thinking I will need this stock for the slugs!)

Looking for recommendations (and where to purchase) for slugs to try based on the following criteria:

* Reasonable cost, will be firing a bunch when I find the slug that my gun likes best. The lower the price the better, must be less then $1.00 per slug.

* 2 3/4", 1 oz. Rifled Slug, I have a smooth bore barrel

* Can be easily ordered online or purchased locally via retail outlet

This is what I have selected to purchase so far and the sources:
- Federal (129-PB127LRS) Low Recoil Truball 1oz. slugs (Midsouth Shooters)
- Federal (129-PB127RS) Truball 1oz. slugs (Midsouth Shooters)
- Federal Classic Rifled Slug 1oz Power-Shok (Natchez)
- Remington (RTRL12RS) Managed Recoil Rifled 1oz. slugs (Natchez)

Recommendations please with the above criterea in mind and where I can purchase. Thanks in advance!
Old September 24, 2005, 04:39 AM   #2
Pointer

For special needs, Breneke should be on your list...

Tho' not under a dollar...
Old September 24, 2005, 07:50 AM   #3
Coop de Ville

I use brenneke ko's mostly because they are cheap at Dick's.

I'm thinking of sending mine to Vang for the barrel work... what are your thoughts on the improvement?

Best Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old September 24, 2005, 03:00 PM   #4
EV1L

Cdc, what magazine extension is that?
Old September 24, 2005, 09:51 PM   #5
AngryAzn

Wolf Ammunition 12 Gauge 1oz Rifled Slug 2-3/4", inexpensive and has positive review, worth adding to your list for eval

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=259879

Midway USA allows customers to review and rate ammo, in general its a good source of info.

Cheapest I've found is from J&G, $1.85 for a box of 5 if you purchase 50 or more, $1.90 if you purchase less than 50. You can't beat $92 bucks for 250 Rifled Slugs.

http://catalog.jgsales.com/

Good luck with it and give us feedback on your findings.
Old September 25, 2005, 01:25 AM   #6
cdc

Ok, lets see if I can answer the questions. First thanks for the slug info, I just purchased 40 rounds of Winchester Super X, damn I am really hoping the SpecOps stock works as advertised! lol..The Winchester Super X rifled slugs were $2.29 per 5 pack at Walmart. I am also going to order the slugs I chose and the slugs so far mentioned/recommended in this thread. I am hoping to go fire off and test what I can this coming Wednesday. Will post findings. I am used to very accurate guns, all my competition pistols are extremely accurate. I do know that the 870 I have is a shotgun and not a rifle. Still would like to find what my 870 likes for best accuracy.

The mag extension is by Tacstar and seems to be built well. I do not know the improvement of the VangComp barrel because I have not shot the gun yet. I decided to buy the barrel because of the many positive things I have heard or read from other users and owners. I like nice toys and was not bothered by the price so I purchased it. I am very curious as to how this gun shoots and feels. I will get a chance to shoot it this coming wednesday.

Please keep the suggestions coming regarding the slugs. The suggestions so far have been very good. I was not even aware of the existence of these slugs until the suggestions from this thread.

Take Care,

cdc
Old September 25, 2005, 02:35 AM   #7
cdc

Ok, just purchased 15 rounds each of the following for testing (all of the slugs listed are 12ga., 1oz rifled 2 3/4" slugs and prices are per 5 rounds per box):

* Winchester Super X (X12RS15) - $2.29
* Remington Managed-Recoil Slugger - $2.99
* Federal Premium Vital-Shok Low Recoil Truball hollow point - $3.99
* Wolf Ammunition 12 Gauge Rifled Slug - $2.19
* Brenneke USA K.O. Ammunition Foster-type - $2.99

All were ordered online at Midway USA except the Winchester Super X. Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!

cdc
Old September 25, 2005, 04:43 AM   #8
sm

I run a bone stock 870 Express. Mine happens to like Federal Foster 1oz slugs, with the Factory IC.

Other bone stock guns vary between the Win and Fed plain jane 1oz Foster as well.

IMO/IME , matters not what a barrel or choke is marked, matters not what a box of ammo is marked. What does YOUR barrel/ Choke do with a tested ammo at what range.

Many of us have found some guns do better with a little Forcing cone work. bone stock guns using IC, IC+ even MOD* chokes equal or better special enhancement packages.

*I gave these "markings" instead of the constriction sizes. See Colonial, Nu-Line, Briley and similar companies that offer chokes. Sometimes it only takes a couple of "points" one way or the other to make a HUGE difference.

Once a loading is found, take note of that lot number and buy a bunch of it. Performance will often change from one lot to another.

Personally - I like the abilty to buy loads locally that perform, I make notes as to what that particular gun likes. I may need to buy a box at a bait shop and from testings previous, I know my 1st, 2nd, 3rd performance loadings.

Also note GUN FIT to shooter is still very important. If the gun is NOT mounted to face the same way each time - POA/POI is not going to be the same either.

May not be the loading, might be the person holding the loading.
Old September 25, 2005, 10:17 PM   #9
cdc

I totally agree with you Sm. In my experience (with pistols and I am assuming any other gun would be the same) there are generally two main factors to consider regarding accuracy. Gun/ammo matching and the shooter. One can have a sweet gun/ammo combo that becomes wasted because the shooter cannot take advantage of it.

I do have one question regarding your post. You wrote the following: "Once a loading is found, take note of that lot number and buy a bunch of it. Performance will often change from one lot to another." Do you mean model number of the round? If so where does one find this lot/build number? I have never noticed a lot/build number on ammo.

Thanks,

cdc
Old September 26, 2005, 12:18 AM   #10
sm

Lot numbers

There is a number stamped on each box of shells.
Just as there is a number stamped on each container of gunpowder.

Go grab a container of Aspirin, box of cereal, bag of Chips - there is one on these two.

Manufacuturing number if you will. Each time a "batch" of something is made, there is a "lot number" assigned to it.

For instance I have in front of me a 5 pack of Remington Rifled Slugs, .410, Max Dr Eq, 2 1/2" , 1/5 oz. This is simply to identify the Remington Brand, gauge, powder loading equiv, length of shell type of loading (slug) and the weight of loading - in this case 1/5 oz.

Now there were a bunch of these made at the same time - a batch, if you will. Remington, just as would Bayer, or General Mills does have numbers to identify which "Lot" [ batch in mfg process] these products were all a part of.

This box has a Lot number on inside flap as you open it - AWG12G549 ( best I can read with numbers about half missing at top).

So say I go and check for performance a bunch of .410 slugs, Rem, Win, Fed. I find MY gun really really likes these Remingtons. I would want to go back to Academy Sports and find other boxes with this same Lot number.

Why?

Because just like you don't get your toast toasted, or your eggs cooked the same way everytime. You use the same pan, spatula toaster...same set up and everything - still there are differences.

Well the differences could be many things, the LOT of primers used, the Lot of powder used, the lot of hulls used, the lot of slugs used...

See it applies to components as well. For all Ammunition. Even buying the same powder can and will vary from lot to lot. That is why it is so critical to check a new container of powder of the same kind you just used up. Weigh the powder, it will often require adjustments so one does not load too little or too much.

For instance I used Win 296 to reload .410 target shotshell loads. I would pattern and tweak my load for my gun for skeet. I would buy 8 one lb containers of the same lot of 296 powder. I would buy 20k Win 209 primers of the same lot, I bought a case of the AA wads with the same lot as well. When I bought 10 cases of new Winchester AA .410 #9 shot for skeet - these were also the same lot. See that way my hulls were the same lot.

Serious competition days.

90% of shooting is Mental, the other 10% is Physical, take care of the Physical stuff and once found don't change it. This allows one to focus on the 90% - the most important aspect - the Mental.

Physical - includes gun, loads, attire, vest/ shell pouch shoes, glasses ear protection...etc.
- Misseldine

Albeit a poor paraphrase by me - Principle is the same.

Now I shot all 4 gauges, I was not the only one that bought pallets/ split pallets with a pard of shot, wads, primer, powder. Oh yeah to save money is one thing. Being consistent with the load [physical] so all I had to do was focus on the leading edge of target and bust it, one bird at a time.

Gun [again physcial] I shot for years 25k rds a year in 12 ga using one gun, or the same exact duplicate of gun, Win SX1. I shot who know how many thousands of rds with a Browning Citori 3 bbl set in 20, 28ga and .410.

So I am old school. I am one that believes in finding what fits a person for a task. I mean one that really does fit, take it to training and under conditons KNOW what fits. Then buy 3 more exactly like it. Be it a shotgun, handgun for CCW, whatever.

One to use, one for backup, one off-site,and one in the event to fill a void if one of the others is in repair.

Nothing wrong with collecting, nothing wrong with having various platforms and such. I mean who knows how many rds I shot with 870s in all 4 gauges over the years for example..I like the pump gun only events too...

Serious Situations , Serious Competitions, is not - IMO wise to be switching around and changing up stuff, be it the platforms, or loadings.

Repetiton becomes habit, habit becomes faith

So if one does find Fed 00 reduced loads work,best for them, find a way to get as many as can of THAT lot number.

One has to be careful of new loadings, very often changes are made early on, what 'did' work - won't.

See the old plain jane Foster and similar, they dont' change them often, they are old school, the marketing is not for these, it is for the new stuff.

Us old competitiors used our reloads for game birds - we knew what worked. Them new fancy shells marketed - don't always do as "published" - and when the quail/ dove/ pheasant/ grouse/ woodcock flushes is a bad time to find out - it don't work.

Never talk down to a person with a old gun, be it a shotgun, rifle,or handgun. Especially if the gun case is worn, and he has "his reloads". Person knows something...and not only will he beat you like a drum - he can defend himself with his gun and loadings.

Get Bristers Book - though an older publication - still answers a lot of questions asked today. Easy to adapt to more modern disciplines and such too.
Old September 27, 2005, 12:34 AM   #11
cdc

Thanks for the info SM, very informative. Your time and info was appreciated.