The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 23, 2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Gen.Barnicky

STI GP5 ?

I am looking for a compact - subcompact 9mm for daily carry. There are a few prime contenders,
XD, M+P, Glock, to name a few. But I recently came accross the STI GP5. I have known STI's 1911's
But this GP5 is a poly compact 9mm. I can not find any info about this gun. There is also a GP6, but that's
full size, not what I want. Can anyone give me some input regarding the STI GP5?
Old March 24, 2010, 02:23 AM   #2
ranburr

"Barnicky? That guy owes me money"!

At any rate, the pistols are more for competition than carry. I am surprised that they came out with a compact model. They are imported from the former Czechslovakia. It has a rotary barrel system that is very accurate. But, it must be kept very clean to operate. Triggers are quite good for a DA/SA pistol and the ergos are great. Downside is reliability and complete lack of accessories in this country.
Old March 24, 2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Gen.Barnicky

Ah. Thanks for that feedback. Just what I needed. Also impressed you got the
"Stripes" reference. Lol!
Old January 7, 2011, 02:03 PM   #4
KravMagician

ranburr, you say that "Downside is reliability".

Can you please elaborate?

I have never fired this particular pistol, but being from Slovakiawhere these pistols are made, I take a very keen interest in it. (BTW, I currently live in the USA).

Perhaps you are making a distinction between "reliability" (i.e. ability to fire even if it's not cleaned much, or with imperfect handling by the shooter) and "durability" (i.e. longevity in terms of rounds fired).

I'd like to point out two pieces of information that come from the manufacturer's website:

1) A review of the full size model GP6 at http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/g...ounds-fun.html which specifically discusses malfunctions and says that the tester tried to make the pistol malfunction, and it simply wouldn't.

2) a verifiable claim (writtein in imperfect Englisht) on the manufacturer's website that they had one of their pistols at a public shooting range where it clocked 112 470 rounds without "without any change of internal geometry grooving."
Source: http://www.grandpower.eu/en/

As I said, I come from the same country so I'm biased in favor, but what I do know comes from these specific sources.

Last edited by KravMagician; January 7, 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: specify review of GP6, rather than the smaller GP5
Old January 7, 2011, 08:02 PM   #5
tekarra

Hello Krav and welcome. I, too, am very interested in this pistol and have read many good things about its performance. However, I have not had the opportunity to shoot it as yet.
Old March 30, 2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Geeko

Great pistol. Very short reset, shorter than the Glock or the M&P. A bit less recoil/barrel flip due to the rotary barrel. Better rotary barrel design than the Beretta Storm. One down side could be if you do not like the first round DA or there is no decocker. You must lower the hammer yourself, but still easy to do.

And now with changeable backstraps on the newer MK7 frame vs the older MK6 frame. Eitherway, the MK6 frame feels like the CZ75 in comparison. The mags are almost the same as the CZ75 in size and fit. Mags pouches, just order CZ75 style. Controls are all set for both left and right handers. No need to change parts around.

A fiber optic front and an adjustable rear sight are available, if you like.