The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 21, 2013, 05:02 PM   #26
Bezoar

the site itself is ok, but the thing is.....

why do so many ads use the same photo for DIFFERENT long guns being sold?

But on the police trade in... i have seen a decent number of reviews on budsguns and otherplaces where the buyer was expecting a used and beat up gun, but got something with a cracked frame that even the maker cant fix.
Kind of better to get a factory new taurus from the getgo ifyou dont have access to someone who KNOWS revolvers.
Old October 22, 2013, 10:15 PM   #27
badge851

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFDE1983
Hi Everyone.
I'm pricing out a few of the, I guess you would call them, budget wheel guns in .357 magnum.
I'm between a Taurus 66 4", an EAA Windicator and a Rossi 971 4", all blued. Right now I'm leaning toward the Taurus.

Now, I know the purists out there are going to have an aneurism 'cause I'm not going for a Smith or Ruger etc but I'm trying to keep this around a $400 price tag and can't find any of the big names in that price range.

I will probably only put 1k or so rounds a year out of it and I never sell\trade anything so I plan on keeping it for the long haul. From those who have owned these and shot a few thousand rounds, any thoughts on those models? Pros, Cons? Finish durability? How's the cylinder lockup? What wears out often? How easy is it to find parts?

Thanks!
I have eleven Taurus® revolvers.
• Mdl 85B2CH 38 Special - 1994
• Mdl 669SS4CP 357 Magnum - 1996
• Mdl 85B2 38 Special - 1997
• Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum - 2003
• Mdl 605SS3 357 Magnum - 2006
• Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special - 2007
• Mdl 605SS2 357 Magnum - 2010
• Mdl 425SS4 41 Magnum - 2012
• Mdl 605SS2 357 Magnum - 2012
• Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special - 2012
• Mdl 992B4 22LR/22MAG - 2013

All have performed superbly and I continue to shoot them all almost every week.

I have only encountered these problems.........
• Mdl 85B2CH broke a firing pin (part# 19) after 11,000+ rounds. I replaced the firing pin & it's still going strong.
• Mdl 85SS2UL had the cylinder stop (part# 44) wear down after 10,000 rounds. Called Taurus® and they shipped the part right away. Installed new cylinder stop and now the gun works fine.

I have zero complaints with Taurus® customer service. The times I had to send a gun in they fixed and returned it when they said they would. Specifically.....................
• March 2009: Mdl 617 developed excessive cylinder to forcing cone gap (.011") after almost 6,000 rounds. I sent it to Taurus® and they replaced the cylinder (part# 8) and adjusted the yoke (part# 9) I've since put 3,000+ rounds through it and it's still going strong.
• August 2012 Mdl 605 had cylinder (failure to advance) problem. Taurus® deemed the gun to be unrepairable and via FedEx® sent me a brand new gun.
• August 2012 Mdl 85SS2UL had cylinder (failure to advance) problem. Taurus® sent prepaid shipping label and gun was repaired & returned in 1 week.

I will not hesitate to buy additional Taurus® revolvers. They are an outstanding value.

Here is a wealth of Taurus® information..........
Taurus Firearms Forum - TaurusArmed.net
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old October 22, 2013, 10:28 PM   #28
jrhilde

EFDE1983, please pm me----
Old October 24, 2013, 07:52 PM   #29
Chrisbradley2001

First wheel gun! .357 What to buy?

Got this gp100 this week for a bit over 300. Still in your budget and a virtually unbreakable gun
Old October 24, 2013, 08:07 PM   #30
kilimanjaro

For your first gun, get a good quality US-made piece, like a used S&W or Ruger DA. You will not regret doing it, ever, no matter how many guns you end up owning or how long you own it.

Just add another 100 or 200 to your budget, it's coming Christmas, and the pawn shops are going to be filling up.
Old October 31, 2013, 04:16 PM   #31
dgludwig

Quote:
We have a HUGE local gun store here in the town I live in.
What store (or even town) is this, Sevens? I live in northeastern/central Ohio and have the Fin-Feather-Fur and the Sportsmen's Den stores close by (both very nice places to shop). Are you referencing Vance's Shooting Supplies in Columbus (I ask this because you live in "central Ohio")? If so, I didn't know that they now have a second store.
Old November 2, 2013, 05:46 PM   #32
azmark

EFDE1983,

As though you haven't been confused enough already, I can tell you what I know. The first handgun I ever shot was a Model 66. My buddy took me to the range and let me shoot it. He had owned it for years with no problems. Another guy I've known for years has only owned one .357 for about 30 years, I think...Model 66. All his other handguns are autos but he plans to keep the Taurus until he dies. I owned a 66 for a while. The ejector rod liked to back out a bit after several hot 357 loads, but that was an easy loc-tite fix. Worked fine otherwise.

My wife's gun is a Rossi 851. I don't personally like the way it shoots, but it's not my gun. She will never part with it. She says it's her lucky gun. It's not slick but it's tough. One day at the range, she and my son were shooting it and ran into a squib without noticing it and followed up that stuck bullet with 5 Golden Saber 38 +P rounds. She couldn't open the cylinder, of course. Nobody could believe the gun didn't fly apart. A gunsmith removed the bullets and the gun was inspected by the smith and then by the factory gunsmith. The gun was undamaged.

I owned a GP 100 for several years. It was laser beam accurate and built like a tank. If you end up with one of those, you'll be more than happy. That thing would shoot the hottest .357 loads known to man and beg for more with less recoil than the 66s loaded with .38+Ps. Why don't I still own it? I saw something shiny and had to have it so I traded the GP. Unwise decision.

My only advice: handle the guns you want to consider and use the revolver checkout procedure on this site. Guns are like women; only you will know what feels right.
Old November 2, 2013, 11:29 PM   #33
Sevens

Quote:
What store (or even town) is this, Sevens? I live in northeastern/central Ohio and have the Fin-Feather-Fur and the Sportsmen's Den stores close by (both very nice places to shop). Are you referencing Vance's Shooting Supplies in Columbus (I ask this because you live in "central Ohio")? If so, I didn't know that they now have a second store.
Yep, Vance's. (sure, Vance's isn't physically huge, but the volume of sales and the foot traffic in that store qualify for the term) and Vance's cuts the deals to get the large shipments of former issue/duty guns.

The "other" store that is also Vance's is Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron, a store of which I am certain you are familiar. It actually -is- physically large, on the scale of FFF, and although I'm not 100% certain that it began life as Vance's "out of the city & large footprint sister store", it certainly has been exactly that for quite a number of years now.

When Vance's got that big load of heavy barrel Model 10-10's, both stores had -piles- of them. The one I ended up with was one of, IIRC, seven revolvers I 'interviewed' on that day. It's a fantastic revolver that hasn't gotten any REAL love until it became mine. What a terrific shooter, and it's out for exercise tomorrow! It came from the Buckeye Outdoors store in Hebron.
Old November 6, 2013, 11:16 AM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I will probably only put 1k or so rounds a year out of it and I never sell\trade anything so I plan on keeping it for the long haul
If that's the plan, why cheap out? At 1,000 rounds a year, or less, any quality revolver, no matter who's make it is should last you the rest of your shooting life.

Things do get worn, and parts do sometimes break, no matter who's name is on the gun. And even the best companies do have the occasional lemon that gets out the door.

If one of those things happens to me, I prefer to deal with an American company.

Since you don't sound in desperate need of a defensive handgun, have you considered something other then a budget DA .357?

Ruger makes some very nice .357 single actions, and even at full MSRP they are a good value for what you get.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:30 PM   #35
magnum777

Get a used Smith & Wesson or Ruger. You should be able to get it at that price range.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:41 PM   #36
SVL76

I agree with a lot of the previous comments.

Save a few extra bucks and grab a used GP100. This gun will literally last for generations. It's incredibly well made and if you change out a few springs and add a few shims it will be your absolute favorite revolver....all of this you can do yourself.

Load it with 38 special and shoot 357 mag on special occasions and you'll have a lot of fun at the range with that gun.

Tags
357 mag magnum