The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old March 21, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1
FOB

338 Win or 338 RUM

Sorry if I am wasting time, but I searched the threads and couldn't find what I was looking for so I thought I would post a new thread.

I have been shooting my friends 338 Win mag, and 300 Win mag and 300 RUM. Of the three I like the 338 Win mag the best for fit, recoil, and bullet selection.

My question is this.

I currently hunt Mule deer, Elk, Antelope, and Black bear. I know the 338 Win mag will effectively kill all of those as well or better than my old worn out 308 that has had 2000+ rounds put through it.

However, in the future I plan to hunt Moose, and Brown bear. Have an old buddy in Alaska that keeps bugging me to come up. The 338 RUM would certainly throw the larger 250 grain bullet better in those cases. For now I don't really need the RUM, but am thinking I can light load for the deer and elk and use heavy loads for black bears. The unbelted RUM brass also is a plus in my book when it comes to reloading.

Any thoughts appreciated. I am a newbe to forums so feel free to line me out.

Thanks.
Old March 21, 2010, 07:00 PM   #2
kdog70

I cant help you as far as effective killing power for moose or grizzly but I do shoot 300 Win Mag and 300 RUM. I shoot them at Michigan Whitetail and steel at 600-1400 yards and they do the trick for me. I like the Berger 210's and the Sierra 190,220,240 grain bullets and you could probably load them with some trophy bonded bear claws or Accubonds or other premium big game bullet and it will do the job.

I chose the 300 RUM over the 338 RUM because once this barrel is fried I am going to get a new barrel chambered in 338 Edge...a 300 RUM necked to 338. Its the cats meow in shooting long range animals and steel. Here is the web site this guy probably knows more about the edge or 338-300 than anyone else. http://www.defensiveedge.net/index.html

But in all honesty the average hunter only needs a 300 win mag or if they feel out gunned step up to the 338 win mag. There are plenty of other options but I would go with what you have shot and are familiar with.

Welcome aboard.
kdog
Old March 21, 2010, 07:26 PM   #3
saands

Another option in 338 is the 330 Dakota ... I just went through the exercise ... although my criteria were a little different. I have started shooting at extended ranges and really wanted access to the 300gr Sierra MatchKings in .338 ... I considered the 338WM, but liked that the Dakota had considerably more case capacity than the WinMag ... I build my own rifles and usually use Mauser actions ... I would have gone with the 338RUM or the Edge if I had a Remington action laying around, but with the limitations on overall length posed by the Mauser action, the 330 Dakota was the biggest 338 that I could fit. Today was the first time I shot it, so I haven't worked up the final loads, but based on today's results, I think that 2550 fps with the 300SMK will be possible out of the 27" barrel. I would certainly not feel undergunned anywhere on this continent with this rifle and a good 250 grain bullet. By the way, I've shot this one with and without a muzzle brake ... I now wish I hadn't gone to the trouble to install the brake ... it really wasn't necessary (although the extra-thick sorbathane recoil pad is a nice touch).

Saands
Old March 21, 2010, 08:19 PM   #4
ligonierbill

How far do you want to shoot? The .338 Win Mag with a good bullet carries 2,000 ft lb out to 500 yards. Just checking my Nosler manual; you will get another 200 fps with 250's and 350 fps with 225's from the RUM, so it will reach a good bit further. My personal hunting limit is about 400 yards, so the WM is plenty. Recoil, without ear-busting muzzle breaks, is tolerable even off the bench. And I can carry my rifle all day without complaint. However, if you really want to reach out, and you are willing to put up with the big guy, by all means go with the RUM.
Old March 21, 2010, 08:52 PM   #5
taylorce1

.338 Win Mag will serve you better in AK than a .338 RUM. It will have all the horse power needed to bring down the biggest moose and PO'd bears. All you have to do is shoot it well and put the bullet where it needs to be.

The .338 RUM are usually not the most forgiving hunting rifles punishes at both ends without recoil reduction of some sort and more at home for long range shooting. Most of the big bears are hunted inside of 100 yards from what I've gathered no need for a long range rifle. .338 Win Mag and .375 H&H seem to be what the bear guides in AK use the most.

As far as your .308 being worn out after 2K rounds, I highly doubt that one. I'd consider that being just broke in, unless you have been feeding it a steady diet of rapid fire and hot loads. The only reason I see to upgrade to a .338 is that you want one.
Old March 21, 2010, 09:26 PM   #6
saands

Quote:
As far as your .308 being worn out after 2K rounds, I highly doubt that one. I'd consider that being just broke in, unless you have been feeding it a steady diet of rapid fire and hot loads. The only reason I see to upgrade to a .338 is that you want one.
I was thinking this as well ... but maybe he fire lapped it a couple of times Anyway, I gave up on the pretexts long ago and just own up to the facts Fortunately, I have a wife that sees that there isn't any harm to this hobby ... and I remind her that it could be a lot worse: BASE jumping, car racing, hang-gliding ... just to name a few

Saands
Old March 21, 2010, 11:55 PM   #7
FOB

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback so far. It has been helpful.

My retired 74 year old neighbor came over tonight to play dominos while we watched the vote on health care. Started talking to him about my on-line questions and he lets me know he has a pre 1970's German/Belguim made Browning 338 win mag. 24 inch barrel, scoped with a 3 x 9. He is not sure of the manufacture date because it was a gift to him from an old friend. We can probably run the serial numbers to pinpoint the Mfg date.

Says it has had maybe a hundred rounds through it. All factory ammo. The rifling looks brand new as does the gun. Beautiful walnut stock. Heavy sucker, but that is ok as I like a gun with weight. He quit hunting years ago and said he will make me a hell of a deal on it if I decide to go with 338 win mag instead of the 388RUM. We are going to do some shooting next week to see how it fits. The workmanship on this gun is fantastic. I may be buying a gun next week.

As far as the old 308 being worn out I was probably being conservative with my rounds number. Just guessing as it was my father's gun that he bought in the early 60's. We used to load it up hot with 100 grain 30-30 lead and go out in the Mojave desert and shoot black eared jack rabbits at extreme distances to keep in tune for hunting season. Those hot small loads would turn a jack rabbit to steam. That gun has taken a lot of game over the last 45 years. Great memories.

The 308 still knocks them down, but being a semi-auto and worn rifling it just won't hold as tight as I like at 200 to 300 yrds. 400 yrds just ain't happening anymore. Thought about rebarreling it, but to much sentimental value. I will just keep it for a close brush gun if I get back to the oakbrush country. At present I hunt the canyons and the shots range from 400 to 600 yards. My neighbor says he has taken a few at 500 with the Browning 338 win mag with no problem.

I will let you know how it works out with the neighbors 338.

Thanks again.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:25 AM   #8
kdog70

Sorry to hijack for a moment, Congratulations on finding a rifle.

SAANDS why did you go with the Dakota over the 338 Norma Mag. Its a standard long action, magnum bolt face, will huck the 300 smk I believe another 2 or 300 fps.
Old March 22, 2010, 11:17 AM   #9
GeauxTide

Jump on the 338WM. If you look at the reloading data, the big cartridges give about 10% more velocity for 30% more powder. A 210 Nosler @ 2900 will cover the lower 48, and a 250 Nosler @ 2660 will cover Alaska.
Old March 22, 2010, 12:56 PM   #10
saands

Kdog:

If I am not mistaken, the 338 Norma Mag is not based on the same cases as the other Norma mags and actually has a 3.6" OAL ... which won't fit in a Mauser ... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...&Number=669672 had some discussion on the confusion about the length of this bad boy. The clarifications in that post make sense because I just can't see how you could fit any more powder behind a 300gr SMK in a Mauser ... and if you want it to go faster, you gotta have more juice or tolerate a lot more pressure. If I was wrong, then I'll be bummed ...

Saands
Old March 23, 2010, 12:39 AM   #11
guntotin_fool

look at the price of ammo, and look around and see how many gun shops have 338 RUM at all, i have the feeling its a dead round and pretty soon ammo will be impossible to find or you will need a mortgage when you do find it.

338winmag will be around till they get around to banning hunting.
Old March 23, 2010, 12:58 AM   #12
.300 Weatherby Mag

.340 Weatherby
Old March 23, 2010, 10:59 AM   #13
HAMMER1DOWN

".340 Weatherby"

Yeah if you really feel like paying the "Weatherby" price for factory ammo. I shoot my .300 win mag at 600 yards pretty regular with 180gr Nosler Accubonds and it does great for Elk and Black Bear, Have always wondered why I didn't go for the .338 though
Old March 23, 2010, 11:19 AM   #14
saands

Quote:
look at the price of ammo, and look around and see how many gun shops have 338 RUM at all, i have the feeling its a dead round and pretty soon ammo will be impossible to find or you will need a mortgage when you do find it.

338winmag will be around till they get around to banning hunting.
This is a good point ... but if you don't reload, ALL of these rounds are gonna be expensive ... some are just REALLY, REALLY expensive ... IIRC, I saw 338 Lapua ammo running ~$6 EACH and that was the dealer price at MidwayUSA Just the 300gr SMK projectiles alone for my reloads run $0.50 a pop when you buy them 500 at a time at Midway ... so, none of these rifles are for low-budget plinking.

Saands
Old March 23, 2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

FOB, you did good. Even have the right power scope for what you want it for, assuming its a decent quality scope. Don't let the armchair second guessers denigrate your choice, there is nothing on this continent that gun won't handle. Only suggestion before you head north is to get another scope like it and zero it too. Might feel like a needless expense, especially if you never need it but it only takes one bump to make the spare the best investment you ever made. By the way, I am officially jealous of your new gun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 3, 2010, 11:18 PM   #16
Shadowstalker

Congrats on finding the Belgium BAR.
My vote is for the .338 Win mag in that it will handle any big game in North America. I have an SS A bolt that is my favorite hunting rifle. I'm currently shooting Federal Premium (210g I think) Barnes Triple Shocks that gives me 1/2 MOA at 100yds when I do my part. I've taken Mule Deer, Blacktails, and Elk from 80 to 478 yds, and only had one of the animals (smaller 5pt Elk) not drop in their tracks. The availability of ammo that someone above talked about is a great point, in that it will be available until they outlaw hunting. I'm just about to start reloading (waiting for my order to get here) and I cant wait to work up some different loads for this rifle. Recoil isn't enjoyable but its not bad at all with a Limbsaver on it; and its certainly more enjoyable than the other calibers you listed.
Just my 2cents
Old April 4, 2010, 01:42 AM   #17
danbnimble

Location: frostbite falls Minnesota...bullwinkle's just down the road a piece
.338 win mag

I've taken moose in Alaska with my .338 win mag...250 grain Nozler Partition...but not bear.
my thoughts would be this..
Moose are fairly easy to walk up on...a lot easier than Deer or Elk, so you can expect a shot of 100 yds or closer..last one I shot was just inside of a hundred yards, I had followed him for about 300 yards to get up to the distance and angle I wanted...I shoot behind the near shoulder at an angle to bust the far one....if I can. The last one stood still for a second or two after I hit him then tipped over. Bullet did not clear the far shoulder which meant he absorbed about 3300 lbs of energy and...it took the bottom of his heart off. best of both worlds and no tracking required!! Just under 60" and a good eater.
That was west of Paxon and Meirs Lake Roadhouse, area 13 (by drawing only now) fly in drop off with Harley McMann
G-Bear, I'd feel comfortable with my .338. I'd probably hope for the same shot alignment.
It's a great cartridge, necked down .458 mag. Benches nicer than a .300 win mag and shoots nearly as flat.
good luck and good hunting
if you really realy like it...buy two
Old April 11, 2010, 09:51 PM   #18
FOB

Made the decision 338 win mag

Well, I made the decision. I shot my friends Browning 338 win mag and fell in love. But, I did not buy it. He mde a very reasonable offer, to good of an offer, as he was not aware of the rifles real value. I ran the serial number before and priced it out. WOW!!! Seems I can buy several just like it for $3000 or so. Couldn't believe that so I troted down to my local gun dealer and ran it past him. He confirmed. My friend was going to sell it to me for the same price as a new Browning x-bolt. I sadly told him no and told him why. He is 78 and his wife is 52. I said, keep it and leave it to her, she is a great gal. After you are gone if she still wants to part with it then we can talk. He thanked me for being honest. ( He is no where near passing, great health, great guy).

So, I did the next best thing and ordered a new TC Arms Icon 338 win mag. Walnut stock with aluminum bedding rail. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait.

Havent settled on a scope per say, but it will be a Nikon Monarch. Had all the guys line them up from Redfield, Burris, Leupold, Swift, Nikon and Swarovski. Only the Swarovski had decerably brighter glass with the Nikon taking second and my pocket aint that deep so Nikon it will be.

Looking at either a 3-12 x 42mm or the 4-16 x 42mm with side focus. Not sure I need 16, but some of the guys say get it. Well see.

For now, thank you for the advice. I ordered some Barns MRX BT 185 gr teflon tipped and some 200 gr. and 225 gr. Going to have fun working up loads. I will check out the reloading threads for some wisdom there.

Thanks.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:47 PM   #19
grubbylabs

Look into vortex for you glass if you are on some what of a budget. Not sure it will be what you want but wont hurt to look. Good luck with your new toy.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old April 12, 2010, 08:18 AM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Many an article, many a poster from Alaska, has posted or written favorably about the .338 WinMag on Ol' Biggie the brown bear.

Decision made; thread complete...
Closed Thread