The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 24, 2009, 02:42 PM   #51
Rayndeon

Nice parallel. On that note, Aiki-jujutsu/Aikido was built from the ground up with a one vs. multiple assailants focus (multiple swordsmen actually, but it's been adapted for more modern times).

From what I understand the majority of incidences involving concealed carry holders end without shots fired. The CCW holder may display their weapon and that is often enough to defuse the situation.

In cases where shots are fired, most states I understand require you to retreat from a legal standpoint. Unless you are on your home and happen to live in a state with the Castle Doctrine, you are legally required to retreat when possible. So I suspect many cases - involving actually shooting the gun anyway - would be firing the gun to try to get the hell out of there.

I agree that learning good gun retention is a useful skill for civilians to have also. And there are probably many cases where you have hold someone at gunpoint - i.e. holding a burglar at gunpoint until the police arrive.
Old December 24, 2009, 05:59 PM   #52
Deaf Smith

Quote:
But I'd guess without that training, most people would be too scared to grab a gun or react appropriately.
Actually it's quite true, Phobe, for the simple reason the skills to stop the attack is not even in their skill set. It is very difficult to formulate a plan on the spur of the moment with information you don't have. So yes, they would be too scared to react appropriately. Or worse, react very inappropriately!

Now as for holding someone at bay with a gun, the rules are simple.

1. Stay at least 1 yard past grabbing distance of the assailant. And the slower your reflexes, the more distance you want between them and your weapon cause distance is time.

2. Use a retention method of holding the weapon (that is close to you and no extended toward them.)

3. Speak in short syllables with commands to the point.

4. Keep the +1 rule in mind. Blink now and then to break any tunnel vision you may be getting. This will help with the +1 rule.

SouthNarc has a good class on manageing unknown contacts. Leaning how to do that also helps at holding someone at bay. His class, Extreme Close Quarter Concepts (ECQC) , is also very good and geared toward H2H and gun usage for self defense.

And yes, I've been to his classes as well as Tom Givens (they teach a combined arms class to!)
Old December 24, 2009, 09:09 PM   #53
obxned

I wonder if the victim was drunk or stoned. If not, you would expect some sort of reaction. Very strange.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety