The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 14, 2008, 06:09 PM   #1
RLFD5415

Protection

Any of you that handload here use gloves when handling your bullets? I've started to use latex for protection, gloves that is, from lead contamination. Anyone else doing anything similar, or am I the only nutjob here?
Old October 14, 2008, 06:12 PM   #2
azredhawk44

I wash my hands before and after, and don't eat when reloading. I'm not worried.
Old October 14, 2008, 06:14 PM   #3
TentsOnTrucks

I dont reload myself but after a full day of shooting I make shure I was up real well. I also make sure I dont touch my face or eyes while shooting. I am not to worried but as always better safe than sorry.
Old October 14, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4
TheManHimself

Metallic lead is actually very stable. Not nearly the killer poison the enviro-nuts want you to believe it is. The real nasty stuff is soluble lead compounds, like the ones left behind by the explosive component in primers. You want to wear a face mask while tumbling and processing spent cartridges, not gloves while seating bullets.
Old October 14, 2008, 07:51 PM   #5
RLFD5415

Quote:
Metallic lead is actually very stable. Not nearly the killer poison the enviro-nuts want you to believe it is. The real nasty stuff is soluble lead compounds, like the ones left behind by the explosive component in primers. You want to wear a face mask while tumbling and processing spent cartridges, not gloves while seating bullets.
Hhmmm. Never would have guessed. Thanks for the info. So, sounds like a good wash after handling bullets is sufficient.

I usually wash cases in a mildly acidic, then basic soln before tumbling. Most if not all the residue is removed during this step. Guess a mask up until then couldn't hurt.
Old October 14, 2008, 08:00 PM   #6
JAYBIRD78

Wash hands after done reloading.

Be sure you don't reload while drinking and driving, smoking a cigarette, talking on your cell phone while eating some eggs.....oh wait....eggs are good for you again.