The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2004, 07:16 PM   #1
Georgian

Remington or Winchester?

Okay yall, I keep getting mixed up on which I should go with. I know Remington is one heck of a shotgun, and is used by most police forces, and I like it, but how does it compare to the Defender? I'm just talking about the 870 Synthetic HD and the Defender here. I like the Defender, but dont know what I should go with, cause the Remington is cool also. Pls help if yall can, God Bless!!

God Bless
Old November 29, 2004, 07:28 PM   #2
grey_pilgrim

Depends. Honestly, if you really prefer the winnie over the 870, get the winnie (IMO) . I personally believe that the 870 is one of the best pump shotguns available (and i would take one over the winchester).

BUT. . . .

i firmly believe that when deciding between two similar guns, you should usually get whichever one you want, not force yourself to buy a gun because a bunch of strangers on an internet forum say "my brother killed a deer with one last season, so it must be good" (which he did ). If you get a gun you love, you will take care of it, and it will outlast you, your children, and your children's children.

So if you just like the winchester, get it. One other question: have you handled and/or shot any of them?
Old November 29, 2004, 07:31 PM   #3
Georgian

I have handled a standard 870 Express in 12, but havent shot it. It seemed too long for me, even though I'm 6'2, it just seemed I was straining a little to keep a good hand on the foreend. It also weighs a lot to me.

God Bless
Old November 29, 2004, 07:49 PM   #4
rustylp

I like the winchester 1200

the winchester 1200 is a great shot gun. I used one for a day during season lasts year had to do some practicing for use of slugs. i could hit targets at a good distants with that gun i would go with the winchester. rusty
Old November 29, 2004, 11:00 PM   #5
Danindetroit

G you might have large shoulders, and chest, I think you said you were 295lbs. I am not sure how long you have been your current size but it is probably going to take some customization to get a gun that "fits" you. You will probably have to go to a gun show or a shop that has a large selection of used guns, and see what works for your frame. Good Luck.
Old November 30, 2004, 12:06 AM   #6
2002gti

remington

if the price deifference is swaying you towards the winchester dont let it. the remington is much nicer in reguards to fit and finish
Old November 30, 2004, 09:37 AM   #7
sm

Any of the Big 4 Shotgun Mfgs will serve one well. I'm a big proponent of Gun Fit , and shooting one if can before purchase is always recommended. Then it comes to finances, how much one has to spend. IF one is going to accessorize , buying one already set up , or close to, versus having to buy aftermarket and have installed.

Don't overlook Police Trade Ins, some very good values for the money - they may have character externally - internally they are clean.
Old November 30, 2004, 11:00 AM   #8
9mmMike

Used 870. Tailor it to fit you and your requirements. If you want synthetic, Hogue makes a shorter stock that might help you with fit.

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old November 30, 2004, 02:33 PM   #9
Rupestris

Whenever faced with a choice between two firearms I try to do a side by side comparison when possible. One of them will "speak" to you.
I was able to have both an 870 and a M'berg 500 on the counter at the same time. The 870 just felt better to me.
I did the same with a Marlin Model 60 and a Ruger 10/22. While most would recommend the 10/22, the 60, again, just felt better to me.
There are far fewer goodies for the Model 60 but the rifle is fine the way it is. The 870 will probably have more add-ons and replacement parts but if the Winny works for you then all the goodies won't make a difference.
Old November 30, 2004, 08:28 PM   #10
Lee Lapin

Try to set up an opportunity to handle both, or better yet to shoot them. Then go with the one that feels best to you. There' s no way to say that one or the other is "a better gun," but some people have preferences for one or the other. Properly maintained, both will still be carrying on when you have ceased fire forever.

lpl/nc (who will be survived by several 870s)
Old December 9, 2004, 12:13 AM   #11
Line Rider

Remington 870 Police
Old December 10, 2004, 04:23 PM   #12
Trapp

get 'em both, you probably will anyway if you are at all like me.