The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 13, 2012, 07:01 PM   #1
elwopo

Concealed holster opinions

Hi.

New to concealed carry....not to shooting.
Currently have a S&W J frame hammerless revolver and looking for options.
I originally bought a Blackhawk CQC holster, which is great in many ways.
Only issue is that it requires the belt feeding through it. So if I want to stop by the bank quickly, or approach a business that happens to have a "no weapons" sign on the door....I have to go back to the car, undo the belt, slide the holster off (tight fit as it should be), then redo the belt. This gets old having to do it a few times a day and has caused me to just leave the thing at home.

Is there any kind of holster that allows for somewhat easy on -easy off capability....yet is secure?

If I go towards IWB carry....that means buying all new pants, right?
Sorry for the elementary question....but if all my pants fit right now....adding something substantial to the inside would mean having two sets of pants. With carry (larger size)....and without. Right?

Appreciate any advice you can offer. I think it's smarter to learn from those who have done this....than try to re-invent the wheel myself.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Nathan

First of all, you don't have to take your holster off. Holsters aren't banned anywhere, as far as I know.

Second, the CQC may be a fine holster, but I think you would rather have a nice leather pancake holster for ease of carry. Then of course, IWB is nice also and slips the gun IWB so you can wear a shorter cover garment. Last, for this kind of gun, I like pocket holsters. I often carry mine in my rear pocket under an untucked shirt. Even if it uncovers, very little gun shows with my pockets.

Quote:
Is there any kind of holster that allows for somewhat easy on -easy off capability....yet is secure?
IWB with snap loops,

or OWB with snap loops.

Quote:
If I go towards IWB carry....that means buying all new pants, right?
Sorry for the elementary question....but if all my pants fit right now....adding something substantial to the inside would mean having two sets of pants. With carry (larger size)....and without. Right?
It depends on the gun and the pants. To CCW a 1911 or other thin gun in normal fitting(not tight) pants is easy. If you usually wear tight pants, you will need looser ones.

Again, for a first holster or 1 holster gun, I think OWB pancake holster's offer a lot of options for CCW and they are much less worrysome.
Old September 13, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Don H

Welcome to TFL, elwopo!

Is it illegal in your state to carry in a bank and do signs have force of law?

Pocket carry works quite well with the short-barrel J-frames. Some folks don't use a pocket holster, I do when I pocket carry. Of course, skin-tight jeans make it a little difficult.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:49 AM   #4
elwopo

Thanks!

I appreciate the great info, complete with pics even, and the welcome to the forum.
I really like the options with snaps and will be looking into both iwb and owb types. Pocket carry is pretty much impossible with jeans.

Yes, in Florida if a business has a sign stating "no weapons allowed" or similar, that takes precedence over anything attached with the carry permit. So it's not uncommon to walk up to a business only to have to walk back across the parking lot to leave the gun in the truck.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:42 AM   #5
zincwarrior

Nathan what holster maker is that??? It looks pretty pretty.
I just acquired a CC and am going through the usual (for me) list of "not quite good enoughs" on the spare magazine pouch and holster front.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:08 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

DeSantis Nemnesis pocket holster...

If you want deep concealment & to have quick access to a J frame snub revolver, I'd buy a DeSantis Nemnesis pocket holster. The sticky fabric design works well and you can remove-add the firearm with ease if you go into offices or places that restrict weapons. The Blackhawk CQC holster comes with a paddle attachment too.
I'm not a big fan of paddle styles but they may work better than other holsters.

Clyde
Old September 21, 2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

If you must have a holster that's OWB and is easy on/off, I don't think you can beat the snap-on Milt Sparks Axiom.

"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 25, 2012, 07:54 AM   #8
TAKtical

How about something like this with clips?
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old September 25, 2012, 01:34 PM   #9
45YearsShooting

What you are looking for is a called a "paddle holster". Here is a link to one that fits your gun:
http://www.fobusholster.com/products...TER-442-0.html

I think Fobus paddle holsters are great. They are light, inexpensive, well-made, thin, compact, comfortable, durable, fast to draw, provide good retention, waterproof, easy and quick to put on and take off, and simple. The gun snaps securely into place in the holster.

What more can you ask for? I love leather, but I think these Fobus holsters beat them in every way.

Last edited by 45YearsShooting; September 25, 2012 at 01:40 PM.