The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old April 17, 2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Robalubious

I.D. AND INFO REQUIRED FOR PURCHASE OF AMMO at Discount Guns in Everett WA

Hello all,

The other day I tried to purchase a simple box of .40 cal rounds (50) from

Discount Guns in Everett, WA. and was told I needed to provide I.D. and info

for their 'records'

[[ BTW, I'm a 38 yr old white guy driving up in a late model BMW and not affiliated with any gangs. AND purchased FROM the customer service rep I dealt with. And had FFL deliveries there ]]

I asked if he was kidding? ... No.

Was the store owners' name Barack by any chance? ... No.

I said: I am familiar with the laws and I know for a fact there isn't one that requires this.

Dan, the 'great patriot' behind the counter said " There's the door ".

I asked if he understood the gravity of what he was doing? He most obviously DID NOT.

So for the preservation of our great and ill Republic PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM ANY DISCOUNT GUN STORES (Exception: Federal Way store which is not part of this treasonous franchise)

Last edited by Robalubious; April 17, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old April 17, 2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Microgunner

I'm afraid we do the same. We look the customer up on the local LEO's criminal data base to determine if he/she s a felon or domestic violator. It's not required, just our policy. Helps us sleep better. Exceptions are people we know as law abiding.
Old April 21, 2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Half-Breed69

These guys aren't the only people doing it. I just found a site called The Ammo Bank and they require a proof of age such as a Drivers Lic. be faxed or you can pay an extra $3.75 and UPS will deliver with you having to sign for the package. Actually he has 3 ways to purchase over the Net. I haven't bought anything yet but I'm looking into it because he says he has the ammo I want. So the ID thing seems to be going around. Don't know that it's such a bad thing these days.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Internet purchases/mail orders are going to be different. Since you're not there in person, internet vendors have to have some way of showing that they're complying with the Federal laws on sales of ammunition to minors.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 21, 2009, 10:47 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

With all the gun control laws on the books, it boggles my mind that people/companies feel the need to make policies that are even more restrictive than what the law requires.

The folks who worked to get the ammunition restrictions associated with the initial passage of the GCA of '68 repealed in the 1986 FOPA must look at incidents like this and either shake their heads or grind their teeth.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:06 AM   #6
Wildalaska

I would sympathize and agree if the OP didnt use the terms "patriot" and "treasonous"

That leads me to conclude there is more involved here

WildredflagsAlaska TM
Old April 21, 2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Dragon55

It's hit and miss....

I've experienced the same thing with pistol ammo but no issues with 12ga magnum for duck and 12ga slugs which I think is silly.
Old May 2, 2009, 08:45 AM   #8
Re4mer

Quote:
I'm afraid we do the same. We look the customer up on the local LEO's criminal data base to determine if he/she s a felon or domestic violator. It's not required, just our policy. Helps us sleep better. Exceptions are people we know as law abiding.
No offense but if you are doing this for the simple purchase of ammo and it is not required by law then your policy is incorrect and perhaps even violation of the persons privacy depending on whether or not the database you use is open to the public or just dealers like you.

The main point is that you have no right to indiscriminately do background checks on people when there is no law that requires it. Checking a photo ID to make sure the person is of age is ok but that is as far as it should ever go without a written legal mandate.

Last edited by Re4mer; May 2, 2009 at 08:57 AM.