The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 18, 2013, 11:36 PM   #1
SVTCobra306

Another new XDs .45 owner

Well, I finally bit the bullet and picked up an XD-s. I held one before I bought my XDm .45 compact a year ago, and chose the XDm due to the fact it would be my only handgun, and needed to fill the role of nightstander, EDC, and range gun. Now that I have an XD 9 for a range toy and the XDm for a nightstander (when the slide gets back from Springfield to get the front sight off), I decided that an XD-s as a carry could be justified.

Impressions from the first few rounds out of it.. it kicks more than I expected. I can handle it, but all the reviews and articles made me expect about the same wrist workout that the XDm gives me. I should have known better LOL. I will be ordering a Pachmayr sleeve shortly for it, for now I robbed the handall from my Kel-Tec.

I like the trigger, even without a break-in it's a little crisper than my other Springfield pistols. I also like the sights, would be nice to have a Fiber Optic rear sight as well, but for out-of-the-box having any is a plus.

I'd post pics, but strangely enough it looks just like everyone else's XD-s .45. I guess I'll take some shots of the collection when the slide for the other one gets back.

I paid $525 for it for what it's worth, at a local gun shop! I probably wouldn't have picked it up if it had been much more.
Old April 19, 2013, 12:04 AM   #2
smokiniron

Congrats, love mine.
Save a few bucks and get an old innertube at a bike shop. I made a great grip. Softens the rough XDs grip nicely.
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old April 19, 2013, 03:59 AM   #3
Idaho Spud

My wife just had to have one. She liked the way it felt in the gun shop (she works there). She fired 3 rounds at a range and pronounced it good. Now she complains about the weight in her purse with both mags loaded. And the recoil. Tried to tell her, but you know wome...well, you know. Anyway, all this is well and good as I've been waiting for all this to happen so as to get my hands on it.

Great thing is it functions (so far) with the 200 gr. SWC's I use in my 1911's. Was hoping for that. Our only XD and understand earlier models don't always do so. Need to find a couple of 7 round mags (have 2 fives). Nifty little carry gun.

Afterthought: would have preferred a white front sight. Can't see the stock one too well in dim light and don't want nite sites.

Last edited by Idaho Spud; April 19, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old April 19, 2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Axelwik

I like mine... Not exactly an everyday range gun, but a great little carry gun. The grip texture doesn't bother me at all - calloused hands I guess.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Bart Noir

Quote:
strangely enough it looks just like everyone else's XD-s .45
Hate it when that happens

I have the two-tone XDs and yes, I notice it when I shoot. But it sure seems to raise the muzzle less than I would expect, so I get back on target faster. For example, not too long ago I fired a SIG 220 in .45 for the first time in years. I was surprised by the muzzle climb in this alloy framed 220. Guess it was the high bore axis.

Try using 185-grain loads, if you have not yet. There is a noticeable reduction in the recoil.

I don't plan to put a sleeve on mine, but will see if I can sand down a rough edge or two around the back of the grip, maybe around the hole for the grip safety.

The XDs is now my holster carrygun. I bought an IWB holster from Winthrop Holsters and it is a good value for the price, although I think the snaps could be more positive in snapping and staying snapped.

Bart Noir
Old April 19, 2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Bart Noir

Spud, I believe somebody on this forum has already seen the 9mm version of the XDs. At the very least, it should be hitting the shelves soon.

I think that will also be a winning CC gun and the reduced recoil might be just what your wife needs.

Bart Noir
Old April 19, 2013, 02:41 PM   #7
bamiller

Mine's my Mon thru Sat carry so that should be an indication of how much I like it. I find its pretty accurate for a short barrel and think the recoil is more than manageable.
Old April 19, 2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Idaho Spud

Bart Noir, she's aware of the 9mm, but doesn't want one. She wants a 45 ACP.

She's a rather stubborn little dickens. In fact I have a Ruger SR9c that is

wonderfully accurate, and would be perfect for CCW. It's my EDC. Nope, too

wimpy for her (all 5'2", 105 lbs.). After nearly 39 years I'm not gonna try to

change her mind. Gotta learn on her own.
Old April 22, 2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Bart Noir

Well Spud, I guess then I suggest trying to work around the problems.

1) The opening for the grip safety has a sharp edge on the very top of the opening. In fact, so did my XDm. So a bit of light work with a corner of a fine sandpaper sheet will make it bite the firing hand a little less. The sleeve idea would not help even if you cover up the grip safety (which I suggest is not a good idea ), since the opening goes up above any possible sleeve location.

2b) The recoil spring is indeed strong. As in, a woman might have trouble retracting the slide enough to load. Training and maybe moderate weight-lifting might be required

2b) The recoil spring is indeed strong. It is a real battle to try to manually lock the slide back unless you use an empty magazine. I have to really strain to hold the slide in just the right position while trying to get the slide lock pushed up. Having an empty magazine around might be the only way to lock the slide back, assuming you are not shooting until slidelock and merely want to check it, clean it, etc.

3) My XDs, and possibly others, will not reliably load from a locked open slide if the 'slingshot' method is used. If I use the slide release, it will load every time. That is simply a training issue, not a problem with using this fine little "barker".

Bart Noir
Who learned that "barker" was an English term for small single shot muzzle loaders, back in the days of Charles Dickens.