The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 2, 2011, 09:51 PM   #26
Lee McNelly

flasks

use the same flask and have say two spouts one for each revolver or spec charge

Hi minnow
Old September 2, 2011, 10:37 PM   #27
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigminnow
I should have mentioned that my flask use will be for revolvers only...I really enjoy shooting the revolvers. I have 5 at this time including the 1858 Pietta Remington type from Cabela's and I ordered another one today. I must be infected with black powder or something huh. This is my last one unless...I sell, swap, trade a brass frame model for a steel frame.

So, if I'm careful, what do you think about loading directly to the revolver cylinder? I know there is always the possibility of a horrible accident and I would never load a long rifle directly from the powder horn/flask. I also started using a loading jig that I bought. Have to remove the cylinder but I like doing that...

Right now I'm using a Lee's 1.3cc scoop and I scoop from a container and pour into the cylinder using a funnel...and I could keep scooping I guess. Anyway, Track of the Wolf has a lot of pieces, parts, and complete flasks. Gee I guess I need one for each revolver now huh?
One can never have too many C&B...........or flasks either for that matter

IMNSHO, loading a revolver directly from a flask is perfectly fine.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 2, 2011, 10:38 PM   #28
mykeal

Buy a variable powder measure and use it - fill it from the flask. It works.
Old September 3, 2011, 12:44 AM   #29
DG45

Cabela's is selling a Pedersoli Tubular Powder flask (Item IK-212239) for $27.99. Photo's of it look just like the CVA 1400 mentioned earlier on this thread that's selling for less, $16.77 I think it was, but the poster said that the CVA shipping cost was $11.00.( I think Cabela's charges $8.95 for 3-6 day delivery on orders between $25.00 and $50.00. Not sure about that though.)

Cabelas is also carrying a Pedersoli Powder Flask Spout Kit (set of 6) for $21.99. I don't know if they'd fit the CVA 1400 or not.

If you need a lot of other stuff too, Cabela's presently has coupons for $20.00 off on orders over $150.00. Sometimes they have special shipping deals too. The best I've seen was a $5.00deal. Don't know if there is any special deal on shipping right now though.
Old September 3, 2011, 05:40 AM   #30
Doc Hoy

Treso spouts.....

....fit the CVA 1400.
Old September 3, 2011, 11:01 AM   #31
bigminnow

I guess I'll end up with probably three flasks and associated gear with them...
Sorta like my clothes...
I have my everyday work clothes and then Friday night go out and have fun clothes and Sunday go to meeting clothes...yaaa, looks like I'm going to need several powder flasks...yep...
Old September 3, 2011, 12:36 PM   #32
kwhi43

One flask, different size spouts.
Old September 3, 2011, 12:47 PM   #33
Hawg

One flask dedicated measures.
Old September 3, 2011, 01:57 PM   #34
Doc Hoy

One flask (CVA recommended)

...and Hoy's telescoping variable measure.

Old September 3, 2011, 06:41 PM   #35
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by zullo74
Phil,

Don't forget arcticap. He'll chime in here to dump on you in a little while too.
I haven't seen one of those gravity spout covers since I poured shots of liquor when I was a bartender in college!
I'm glad that it works but it doesn't seem to be very moisture resistant and should probably be switched with a screw top after shooting. It may also allow the powder to spill out if the can is tipped over.

My favorite is the Traditions brass push button flask because I like to push with my thumb for precision and it's the most comfortable for me to hold:

Traditions Accessories - Low Prices With Free Shipping!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=608328

Last edited by arcticap; September 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old September 3, 2011, 09:36 PM   #36
bigminnow

Looks like I'm going to have a couple of flasks anyway. I want to try the push button and the lever type flasks. I can let my brothers use the one I am not using at the time. I might even make a real cheap one from a plastic pill bottle. Thanks...
Old September 3, 2011, 10:25 PM   #37
mykeal

Hmmm. I was going to ask Phil to put me in his will to inherit those chimney covers when he was done with them....