The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 1, 2011, 04:01 PM   #1
sltm1

Tip For Non-Marring Colt Wedge Removal !!!!!

I was looking at another thread discussing the 800 lb gorrilla that install's the Colt wedge's at the Pietta factory. The trick to initial removal, and removal and replacement there after is this......wrap your hammer head in rawhide !!!! For you "city slicker's" and creatively challenged folks like me finding the rawhide is not as hard as you think. Go to your grocery store and buy an unflavored rawhide dog chew toy !! You can cut it down with a hand saw to the right length while it's hard, then soak it totally immersed overnight in a pan of water and the next day it's plyable. Wrap the head of your hammer and tie it on securely. Wait at least a day for it to dry out completely....then feel free to smack away with no damage to the gun barrel or wedge. I make small pocket hammers for shooters with a wedge puller and screwdriver added to it that works perfectly for shooting both Colt's and long rifles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WedgeHammers.jpg (49.6 KB, 108 views)
Old September 1, 2011, 06:08 PM   #2
zullo74

Nice, but un-needed for my Piettas. The wedges in mine can all be removed with just thumb pressure.
Old September 1, 2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Hawg

I've heard of wedges like that, never saw one tho. I just ordered a 51 Navy, maybe the wedge in it will give me some fun. If it does I guess I'll just use one of the plastic or rawhide hammers I've got laying around.
Old September 1, 2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Hellgate

I use the edge of an old house key as a drift. I think they are bronze rather than just brass but not sure.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old September 1, 2011, 09:30 PM   #5
sltm1

Guy's, guy's, guy's, this post is for those of us who haven't found perfect guns, or the ones who's barrel's stay firm without wobble with just thumb pressure....some of us are more prone to worshiping the "Immutable Law's of Murphy". And yeah, bronze is a good alternative also. I personally have both a Colt 62' Pocket Police (1/2 original and 1/2 Italian), and a Belgin Colt Model 1860 Centaure, both like the wedge to be jam tight, neither use the wedge to it's full length, but thumb pressure loosen's up the barrel to receiver fit and changes the cylinder gap and the accuracy. My hammer is also used regularly to remove the barrel off my T/C Renegade after the monthly shoot for cleaning, plus the screwdriver tip I whittled down to fit the hammer screw on the rifle, which likes to come loose after a dozen or so rounds. We all got trick's, I just like to share mine. Got any to post yourselves? Alway's willin' to learn somethin".
Old September 1, 2011, 11:38 PM   #6
Hawg

Put some blue Loctite on that hammer screw. Don't use red tho unless you want to use heat to get it back out.
Old September 2, 2011, 01:20 AM   #7
Ideal Tool

I too use a rawhide mallet..mine is about 1 1/4" dia..solid rolled rawhide & wooden handle. Be careful with brass! though softer than steel..it will leave dents! With use, those wedges should loosen up a bit.
Just a thought..we gun owners of today really baby our guns..just look at some original percussion Colts..the area around that wedge looks like an anvil on some! Some are so bad it looks like they used a rock!..Maybe they did?
Old September 2, 2011, 01:38 AM   #8
bigminnow

My guns were put together by the 800 pound gorilla too...I need one of these hammers. At least until the wedges start to loosen up. Good idea!
Old September 2, 2011, 07:37 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Rawhide mallet or plastic tipped mini hammer.
Old September 2, 2011, 12:25 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

I use a junk screwdriver ground down to a wide flat, dipped in plastic goo for such things. Tap gently with a small peen hammer, works fine. Have yet to mar any finish.
Old September 2, 2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Smokin'Joe

Homemade Knocker

Brass plumbing with a hallow-ground screwdriver bit. Never leave home without it!

Old September 2, 2011, 01:03 PM   #12
zullo74

I like your screwdriver widget. I'll have to make me one.
Old September 2, 2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Ultravox

Love that brass screwdriver/hammer. I'm going to have to go looking for some plumbing fittings now.
Old September 3, 2011, 06:33 AM   #14
duelist1954

I use one leg of a wooden clothes pin.
Old September 3, 2011, 07:09 AM   #15
Bill Akins

On my bench grinder I ground a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum to fit in the wedge hole. I only have to use it on one of my muzzleloading revolvers. The aluminum is softer than the steel and won't mar it. It also fits perfectly in size against the wedge's right side (just barely under the size of the wedge) and a light tap with anything against the aluminum knocks the wedge right out.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".