The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 3, 2008, 01:44 AM   #51
74camaroman

Sons first hunt

My son was 10 years old and he wanted to go deer hunting with dad. Dad had him shooting the 22 since he was 8 so why not. My buddy and me and my son left home and arrived at my buddies father in laws house to pick him up on Wednesday night. We always spent the night at his Father in laws house and head for our deer area first thing in the morning. That night, after dinner we were sitting around the kitchen table going over a map of the area and how we would look for fresh signs, at this time my son asks, "How do you tell fresh signs for deer in the area?" We explained how to identify doe tracks from bucks tracks, how to tell how old the tracks are, and beds and fresh scat. The fresh scat had my son with another question. " How do you tell fresh scat?" Having answered ten thousand questions from him so far, I told him that you take a little piece and touch it to your tongue, if it burns your tongue it is fresh. We arrived at our hunting camp about noon and first thing was to set up our kitchen and cover it from the rain or hail which always happened to arrive sometime after we arrived. Opening day was Saturday and we arrived on Thursday before opening day. We always use the afternoon on Thursday to set up camp and check out the areas to hunt for fresh signs of deer in the area. My son was on a deer trail about 25 feet below the trail I was on, when he said, " Dad!! I found some fresh deer sh&t" I then asked him how he knew it was fresh? He replied" cause it burns my tongue!
I didn't have the heart to tell him that that way was just something I made up until several years ago, figured he wouldn't hit an old man. He is now 36 years old. I'm not proud of what I told him but everytime I think back to that day I get a chuckle. He still love me.