The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2008, 01:09 PM   #1
muledalton

Getting ready to purchase a Lee Loadmaster

I received some money for Christmas and have been wanting a Lee Loadmaster (the price is right) for a long time and now is the time for me to purchase. I've already made up my mind on this one thanks to my father-in-law who says it's the one he would recommend for what I'm wanting to do. I've reloaded on his RCBS single press and realized that wasn't for me.

The 3 calibers I'm wanting to reload are .223, 30-30, and 40 s&w for now. Since the 40 s&w Lee Loadmaster is in stock I'm thinking I should purchase that one since my father-in-law is giving me a set of .223 dies.

I'm assuming that the 40 s&w Lee Loadmaster comes with everything I need to reload that round. If I'm getting the .223 dies for free I should just have to purchase a .223 shell plate and an extra turret??? Will I have to purchase a small rifle primer feeder, case feeder tubes, etc.

If anyone has experience with this set up I would sure like for you to let me know what to add to my purchase. (things like.....additional lee loadmaster accessories, case lubricating pad and lubricant, powder measure, case trimmer, etc.).

Thanks in advance!
Old December 27, 2008, 02:24 PM   #2
rwilson452

Quote:
received some money for Christmas and have been wanting a Lee Loadmaster (the price is right) for a long time and now is the time for me to purchase. I've already made up my mind on this one thanks to my father-in-law who says it's the one he would recommend for what I'm wanting to do. I've reloaded on his RCBS single press and realized that wasn't for me.
I would definitely suggest getting an extra turret for each caliber you intend to reload. Yes shell plates. I'm lucky as most of the stuff I reload uses the same shell plate. there are only two primer feeders, large and small. Large pistol works of large rifle and small pistol works for small rifle. I'm not sure you will have much success using a case feeder with to 30-30. again two sizes large and small. I would get the multi tube case feeder and collator .

Quote:
The 3 calibers I'm wanting to reload are .223, 30-30, and 40 s&w for now. Since the 40 s&w Lee Loadmaster is in stock I'm thinking I should purchase that one since my father-in-law is giving me a set of .223 dies.

I'm assuming that the 40 s&w Lee Loadmaster comes with everything I need to reload that round. If I'm getting the .223 dies for free I should just have to purchase a .223 shell plate and an extra turret??? Will I have to purchase a small rifle primer feeder, case feeder tubes, etc.

If anyone has experience with this set up I would sure like for you to let me know what to add to my purchase. (things like.....additional lee loadmaster accessories, case lubricating pad and lubricant, powder measure, case trimmer, etc.).

Thanks in advance!
Old January 6, 2009, 03:17 PM   #3
ForneyRider

If it doesn't come with it, then hold off the case feeder. I didn't end up using mine over time, especially with rifle calibers, I preferred to hand feed. However, 45 ACP was pretty fast when using the collator and 4 tube case feeder and bent z bar.

Having multiple turret heads is very handy, I had 3 on the Pro 1000. Having extra shellplate assemblies are handy as well. I had 2. One to run, and one to swap out shellplates with.

Lee Auto Disk and Lee perfect powder measure are pretty good but limited to powders that measure easily. Varget, W231, Power Pistol worked pretty well in both droppers, but IMR 3031, 4064, 4350 do not. A short cut or super short cut should work fine.

I hand-primed with Lee. Lots of cussing with the Progressive primer setup, but it does work if you are patient in setting it up.

Need to trim your bottle neck rifle cases. Lee is affordable and works. Several brands and tools available for that, but Lee is "bang for buck" best.

A scale is handy to check your powder measures, but I thought the Lee info was pretty close to actual for my plinking ammo.
Old January 6, 2009, 03:57 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
If I'm getting the .223 dies for free I should just have to purchase a .223 shell plate and an extra turret??? Will I have to purchase a small rifle primer feeder, case feeder tubes, etc.
The small primer feed for .40 will do.

Extra turret, appropriate shell plate and a rifle charging die, should to it for you.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "