The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Greguw

My model 66 has a flat butt

Hi guys ... I have a S&W model 66 that I would like to go with a more rounded grip like my 686 or even like a model 60 ...a more rounded butt .
Am I going to have to rework the gun frame and what grip is commonlly used if you guys would some advice .
Thanks

Greg
Old November 27, 2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Clemson

The square butt 66 is an older gun, probably pinned barrel and recessed chambers. I would suggest that you sell the gun and buy a round-butt. You will come out even or ahead on the deal. It used to be fairly common to convert the square butt K-frames to round butt, but nowadays it is recognized to ruin the value of what is becoming a scarcer gun.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 27, 2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Greguw

I did not think it was a valued piece ...but now that you said something ... I have had the gun for a few years and it is still a tight piece .
I was just looking for a winter project and this was siting in a box at the bottom of the cabinet .
I allready have a few round butt S&W ...A few K and J frames ...I guess this 66 will be spared !
Thanks for the info !

Greg
Old November 28, 2006, 07:36 PM   #4
hpg

Yes it's price went way up in value when S&W stopped making the K-frame's in 357 Magnum....keep it or sell it to me..........hpg

I was thinking that some grip maker, made a grip for the square butt to give it a rounded look.........maybe Hogue? Never mind, just send it to me..............................
Old November 29, 2006, 07:19 PM   #5
tINY

Wow, I got a good 66 at a gun show for $300 just 2 years ago: recessed cylinder, hammer mounted firing pin and all.

Shoots good, but I took off the big target grip and put on a Hogue Monogrip on it that rides in the truck a lot better.....

-tINY