The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2002, 06:01 PM   #1
HunterWarrior

Heavyweight molds for 45-70 available at discount

See this URL if interested in "Hammerhead" type bullet molds for 45-70 at a discount.

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...&article=75908
Old June 19, 2002, 09:33 PM   #2
LAH

This company doesn't normally discount anything. Thess bullets should be a good ones.
Old June 19, 2002, 09:55 PM   #3
David Wile

Hey folks,

I have been casting bullets for a long time, so I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I do not know what "Hammerhead" bullets are. I checked out the site HW mentioned, but I still did not get the "Hammerhead" thing. Can anyone please enlighten this old fool?

Also, I noticed the prices were a lot more than I have been accustomed to paying. I have always used Lyman and RCBS moulds (mostly Lyman), and they are a lot cheaper if you can get what you want. I got a new Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 early last year and decided I wanted to cast some bullets for it. I prefer gas checked bullets for rifles, but Lyman does not have any 300 and 405 grain moulds of gas check design. RCBS did, however, have a two cavity 300 grain mould and a single cavity 405 grain mould of gas check design. I got one of each, and they make some real fine bullets.

I have a few Lyman four cavity moulds for 38 caliber bullets, and I know they are heavy to use. Based on my use of my four cavity moulds, I can just imagine how heavy those six cavity 45 caliber moulds must be. They boys would either build up your muscles or run you into the ground.

I know having moulds made is very expensive, and I was only offering the information on the RCBS moulds in case anyone was interested.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old June 19, 2002, 10:07 PM   #4
LAH

The Hammerhead is a bullet/cartridge loaded by Randy Garret. He's a custom ammo loader. I'm not sure I'm spelling his name correctly but his company is Garret Cartridge Co. if memory serves. You can find a link from the www.sixgunner.com home page.

If you're stll looking for a mould, take a look at some of our 45 cal. rifle bullets on my site from my profile below. If you see one you're interested in I can fill you in on the mould.

Speaking of heavy, I have a Lyman 4 cavity mould for a .45 cal. 490 grain RN bullet that's a handfull once filled with alloy. Hope this helps.
Old June 19, 2002, 10:09 PM   #5
HunterWarrior

More info on "Hammerhead" bullets

These are custom molds with a custom design. Thus the added expense. Quality of Ballisti-Cast molds is very high. IMHO much better than mass produced Lyman molds.

Here is more info
http://www.chanuteks.com/usa/gear/4570mlds.htm

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp
Old June 20, 2002, 01:30 PM   #6
Paul Fitz Jones

California Saeco 4 cavity Molds

My business in the 70's as Jones Munitions Systems was to supply police, competitive shooters, governments and pistol Champions with the best equipment available. I was the top salsman for California Saeco bullet casting tools and sold hundreds of pots, thousands of molds and even when a serious injury caused me to place my business and inventory in storage in 1979 I am in better health now and have sold most of the 600 4 cavity molds with gunstock handles that I had. I have 2 344 grain 45-70 4 cavity molds left that were a competition winning target design and meat getting bullet that will take any meat animal in North America including Bear and Moose if you wish to eat them. According to the Hornaday #3 manual use up to 53 grains of 3031 but my most accurate target load was 48 grains of 3031 that took dozens of deer and coyotes on my ranch.

I sold almost a hundred 45-70 molds in 4 designs. I felt that I did not want "500 grain flinch" or "sore shoulder syndrome" and sold them small FFL casters to make them for sale at their clubs and at area blackpowder meets The current Redding-Saeco sells their 4 cavity 500 grain molds for $192 each and the first two guys to send me $99 + $7 shipping and insurance gets them. They are not for oversize worn out bores. Thanks Paul

[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saeco 45-70 344 gr 3.jpg (64.8 KB, 30 views)
Police Firearms Instructor