The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 24, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1
psyfly

Grip Safety fitting required?

I just traded into a '79 vintage Colt LW Commander.

Someone has replaced the original grip safety with a beavertail (not too big, thank goodness).

I would like to put one back like the original.

CDNN sells one online that has remark "fitting required"

Colt's sells one for more than twice as much.

Will the part from Colt's drop in w/o fitting?

I did a search, but no joy.

Thanks,

Will
Old September 24, 2010, 04:45 PM   #2
1911rocks

Grip Safety

All grip safeties require fitting. . You'll notice you see "semi-drop in" Beavertail grip safety. This indicates the that you will not have to modify the frame. But you will need to adjust the travel engagement distance on the Grip Safety engagement pawl (far right side if grip safety). Any local Smith can fit. It's a $40-60 job +parts
Old September 24, 2010, 06:00 PM   #3
RickB

I doubt that either Colt or CDNN has one like the original. Until about 1984, the Commander had a specific grip safety that was not like those offered on any other Colt models, before or since. They're somewhat rare now, but it shouldn't be too tough to find one on ebay, or at a well-attended gun show.
http://forum.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=229665
My circa '84 Lightweight came with a modern Colt "ducktail" grip safety, and I had to do a bit of shopping to find the correct part.
Old September 25, 2010, 01:01 AM   #4
HiBC

You are certainly doing fine to take it back to original.Whatever makes you happy!Its yours.
I find it interesting.I have large hands with a meaty web.My Randall Raider (Commander clone) was set up with a ring Cmdr hammer and an old school spur grip safety.I don't like getting blood all over the gun!!Even if I go to extremes to roll my hand in from below,I get bit between the hammer and spur.A Hi-power chews me up.I can't even thumb back the hammer on a Virginia Dragoon single action!!I'd have to trim the hammer,(I passed on that one)
In my case,if I am going to shoot one,I have to put a beavertail on it.I'm such a gun butcher!!:-)
Part of my point of view came from reading an article where one of the prestigous British makers,Purdey or Holland and Holland, etc was explaining something to an American who felt it would be an offense to modify his fine British double.
The British maker said (roughly)All of these guns are made to order.The customer's measurements are taken,and a great deal of the point of having the shotgun is it is made to fit you.If you buy a used Holland and Holland,it is far more correct to restock it than it is to make do with it as an original that was made for someone else.(but no,lets not make a Wells Fargo out of it)
As I said,you are doing fine,but the guy who made that handgun a better shooter for his needs did fine,too.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:02 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Someone has replaced the original grip safety with a beavertail (not too big, thank goodness).

I would like to put one back like the original.
I swapped out the standard grip safety on my 70's Colt Combat Commander for a beavertail grip safety. The tang on the frame had to be altered to get it to fit (other than that it was a drop in, and worked as is). The question that needs be asked is: Was your tang altered? If it was, the original Colt grip safety will leave an unsightly gap if you put an original grip safety back in.
Other than that, I have my original Colt grip safety here in front of me. If you are interested, send a private message and perhaps we can work something out.
Old October 2, 2010, 07:42 AM   #6
psyfly

PM Sent