The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 14, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
cptmclark

replacing the link and pin in my gold cup

While cleaning my Gold Cup Mark 1V 70 series pistol over the grass I managed to lose the link and pin. Never came out when disassembling on my bench of course. Looking at replacement parts, I see a variety. Is there a standard spec unit for this pistol or does it need to be fitted? Brownells lists several and some come in kits of varying length. This gun has never been modified, so I hope I can just order a standard link and pin and get back to work. Any and all suggestions and insights will be gratefully accepted.
Old October 14, 2009, 07:57 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

For a standard pistol you should be able to order a standard link. But the reason there are different lengths is that in a target pistol, the length can affect accuracy. Since there is no way of knowing what length the original link was, you might have to order 2-3 different lengths and experiment to get the proper lockup.

Jim
Old October 15, 2009, 08:23 AM   #3
cptmclark

Is proper lockup obvious? By this I mean if it looks right, and functions right, it is right for best accuracy?
Old October 15, 2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Hunter Customs

There's more to it then just putting in a new link and pin.
Changing the link to a different size can do damage to your radial lugs in the slide and the radial lugs on the barrel.
If the damage is severe enough it will ruin both the slide and barrel.
If you are unsure as to what you need, it may be best to have a competent pistolsmith check your gun for the link size you need.
Make sure the smith understands how to test the barrel timing as this is what will be effected if you change the link size.
All this being said most factory guns will be set-up using a standard 0.278 barrel link.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 15, 2009, 10:17 AM   #5
brickeyee

Go back were you dropped the parts with a good magnet.
Old October 15, 2009, 10:35 AM   #6
mapsjanhere

yep, before you hire a gunsmith, this might be cheaper
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93245
Old October 15, 2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

link

Sir;
As Jim and Bob said replacing the link in a 1911 is not done lightly!
Your old link was not properly installed or it wouldn't have been lost! We always center-punch onece on each side of the pin near the pin hole and then dress off any burr! If you just get a "link" and put it in your gun, as has been said, can be ruined.
The basic function of the link in a 1911 is to pull the barrel down out of battery in firing - it serves very little function in ramping up the barrel into battery - the lower lug feet do most of that. So, timing is paramount.
You never fit a link to correct barrel "down-play." That is a disaster - so you need a GOOD smith who understands this to, if necessary replace the barrel and link and make sure it works properly!
Center punch that link pin so this doesn't happen again - really, the pin should have been tight enough to prevent this - I'd investigate this!
Gold Cup should be fit up especially well.
Harry B.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:07 PM   #8
cptmclark

Thanks. The pistol I bought new in about 1973, and it hasn't been shot that much. There has not been any tinkering with it, as it has always shot flawlessly and accurately to boot. I have had the barrel out a number of times of course, in cleaning and inspecting, but nobody has messed with it otherwise. I doubt we could find the assembler, unless we scour the retirement homes. I'll give Colt a call and see what they say.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:21 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Normally, you don't center punch the link pin. The pin is champfered at the ends and you center punch the barrel foot on both sides. Doesn't take much as it is only to keep the pin in place when the barrel is out of the gun.

Jim
Old October 16, 2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Harry Bonar

pin

Sir;
I didn't mean to center punch the pin - but as you said on the feet close to the pin.
Harry B.
Old October 26, 2009, 01:17 AM   #11
gyvel

Quote:
yep, before you hire a gunsmith, this might be cheaper
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93245

I agree with this post.
Old October 27, 2009, 03:42 PM   #12
Ivan

The pins that hold the link in place are not all the same diameter. The difference isn't much but some are large enough to be a fairly tight friction fit without needing to be staked in place.

Fitting a link isn't hard, but it also isn't done casually either. I would suggest buying a full set of Wilson links or some other set that comes with a range of sizes. You will need only one, but it beats the heck out of finding you need the next size up and not having it. Try them out to see which fits and then check out that the timing is proper. There are many sources on the Internet for instructions. For a very reputable source of information on the M1911 types, buy the first Jerry Kuhnhausen book.

- Ivan.