The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 26, 2013, 06:43 AM   #26
8MM Mauser

I've taken 2 hours to clean a rifle after using corrosive ammo before. I don't mind it so much.

Never spent that long on a handgun
Old October 26, 2013, 08:11 AM   #27
Ozzieman

Not so much cleaning, but last night I trimmed brass, 4 hours,
Then again my Rem 700 when I take it to the range I clean it every 20 rounds. I’ve been told I’m nuts for doing it but it’s like my dog, he likes to be brushed.
My 700 likes to be clean for sub MOA.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 26, 2013, 09:49 AM   #28
Budda

My wife says i'm a sad individual

You guys clean too much. I have shot my 9mm for 800rds before cleaning. And that was over three months.
Old October 26, 2013, 10:51 AM   #29
3.Shot.Group.

The only time I've ever spent more than 15 or 20 minutes cleaning a gun was when I was in the military, then I'd sometimes spend 2 or 3 days cleaning one so I could clear inspection and go home.
Old October 26, 2013, 11:18 AM   #30
Dragline45

Quote:
You guys clean too much. I have shot my 9mm for 800rds before cleaning. And that was over three months.
Keeping guns cleaned and well lubricated are more than just for peace of mind and reliability, they reduce the amount of wear you put on the firearm. Metal scraping against metal causes wear. Lubrication helps prevent wear, insufficient lubrication or guns loaded with powder residue, dirt, sand, etc increase wear dramatically compared to a well cleaned and lubricated gun.
Old October 26, 2013, 11:38 AM   #31
LockedBreech

My wife says i'm a sad individual

I don't think I've ever cleaned a gun faster than 30 minutes, and I sometimes take much longer. I run through huge boxes of Q-tips. Most of the time I actually take about 2 hours and 30 minutes since after cleaning I like to soak the contact points with Breakfree and let it cure.

I might be obsessive, but I've never had a failure, jam, or hiccup out of a gun that wasn't ammo related, and only about 5-10 issues with shoddy ammo. I take care of them, they take care of me.
Old October 26, 2013, 08:15 PM   #32
stantheman1976

You're not alone. I know it's not necessary but I completely strip and clean my pistols after every range trip, even if I only shoot a couple boxes.

To be fair though I only have 2 pistols I do this with and they are my self defense guns. My philosophy is that if I keep them clean and take good care of them they will take care of me.
Old October 27, 2013, 05:01 PM   #33
Colt46

What's really sad

Spending $200 on a therapist and whining about your issues. I find any kind of repetitive behavior to be far more cost effective than a mental health care professional.
Old October 27, 2013, 05:21 PM   #34
max it

clean for two hours!

I love my garage, she has no idea what I am doing there. let's see if I can attach a pic.
Old October 27, 2013, 06:07 PM   #35
Esox

http://www.amazon.com/Kendal-Commerc...asonic+cleaner
Old October 27, 2013, 06:25 PM   #36
bricz75

If it pleases you, go for it. You can also engage in conversation with the Mrs. while cleaning.
Old October 27, 2013, 06:31 PM   #37
Chowder

Max it, your garage looks like a fun spot. I am moving to Texas in 2 months and hopefully finally out of a condo... cant wait to set up my own shop!
Old October 27, 2013, 06:38 PM   #38
4runnerman

I spend 3 DAYS cleaning my guns ..... but only like 10 minutes each on each of the 3 days ...... I clean them, and run a wet patch through the bore and put them up, repeat on day 2, and on day 3, with a dry patch last on day 3. You would not believe how bleu-green the patches come out on day 2 from a "clean" rifle bore....

Hey Jimbob86. On a different post is was asking you why you took so long to clean your rifle. I decided to try your method. I was amazed how I THOUGHT I had a clean rifle. Thanks for the tip.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:30 AM   #39
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...aner-110-Volt/
Old October 28, 2013, 05:08 PM   #40
1hogfan83

Getting the guns out and cleaning them for hunting season half the fun! I just slap on some grease and my HK will run all year long.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old October 31, 2013, 06:45 PM   #41
Terry A

I always thought my guns were super clean after only 10-15 min per gun. After reading this thread and how some of the fellas take a couple hours per gun.....I feel like a slum lord!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old November 2, 2013, 07:59 PM   #42
Auto5

My wife hates the smell of Hoppes No. 9 ( I like it better than Chanel No. 5). She won't even come downstairs when I'm cleaning guns. The more time I spend on my guns, the less chance she has to find something unpleasant for me to do.
Old November 2, 2013, 08:04 PM   #43
Deaf Smith

My wife will spend hours on a sewing machine. No we don't need to make cloths but that is her hobby.

Happily she never bugs me about mine. So all is well at my house.

Deaf
Old November 3, 2013, 12:45 PM   #44
Hawg

I don't spend that much time cleaning a half dozen black powder guns after a days outing.
Old November 3, 2013, 01:41 PM   #45
jimbob86

Quote:
I spend 3 DAYS cleaning my guns ..... but only like 10 minutes each on each of the 3 days ...... I clean them, and run a wet patch through the bore and put them up, repeat on day 2, and on day 3, with a dry patch last on day 3. You would not believe how bleu-green the patches come out on day 2 from a "clean" rifle bore....

Hey Jimbob86. On a different post is was asking you why you took so long to clean your rifle. I decided to try your method. I was amazed how I THOUGHT I had a clean rifle. Thanks for the tip.
You are welcome.

I don't really like cleaning much of anything ..... no sense in spending a whole lot of time scrubbing when the solvent will do your work for you. Patience is a virtue.....
Old November 4, 2013, 09:09 AM   #46
PT-92

Stop spending so much time with that stupid thing (the gun that is ).
Old November 15, 2013, 06:34 PM   #47
Rickyc2

Pencil eraser works fine for powder residue...
Old December 2, 2013, 11:54 AM   #48
RangerHAAF

There are at least two areas & hobbies left that women want no part of: 1. Guns; Women generally don't like them and no amount of proselytizing is gonna change that. 2. Aircraft engine mechanic repair work. They don't like this because learning to do it requires learning math and physics which is frustrating and beyond the abilities of a lot of people. So anything they don't like, take refuge in.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old December 2, 2013, 12:15 PM   #49
BWM

How long did you sleep before you got it done??
Old December 2, 2013, 04:21 PM   #50
fastbolt

Man, I was admittedly somewhat "overly attentive" when it came to cleaning my firearms as a young man.

That trait even survived the first several armorer classes I attended as a LE firearms instructor & armorer.

Then, however, just like I stopped worrying about our first baby's possible exposure to each and every little spec of dirt ... I got over it.

Now, having been a firearms instructor for more than 20+ years, and having been through more than 20 armorer classes (22, maybe? I'd have to dig through certs) ... and then having to help maintain, service, repair & support more than a thousand agency-owned pistols (not counting personally-owned handguns, as well as agency-issued rifles & shotguns), I'm not quite as "overly attentive" when it comes to cleaning.

It needs to be done correctly, naturally, but not as a cathartic or Zen experience.

Another thing that helped me along the way to this point is having seen all manner of "problems" created by individuals improperly "cleaning" their issued and personally-owned guns. They meant well, but still managed to "clean & lubricate" their guns so that they caused functioning problems.

I've spent more hours than I care to remember standing at a cleaning station, trying to explain to some guy or gal why their preferred cleaning regimen was causing them problems, and why they needed to do it differently.

Yes, it's been annoying to more than a few individuals when they brought me one of their own handguns with a "problem", and it turned out the only "problem" I needed to correct was one they'd caused for themselves by what they'd thought were good cleaning & lubrication practices.

Newly minted & inexperienced armorers can be just as likely to create problems for themselves, at times, too. Sometimes they can get carried away wanting to use those new armorer skills. BTDT.

You clean enough guns belonging to other folks, the act of "cleaning" starts to pall a bit, and you get to the point where you do it right, but not excessively.