The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 5, 2010, 12:58 PM   #1
PendletonCowboy

Winchester Model 70 trigger adjustments

I just finished adjusting the trigger on a Win Model 70 this weekend and found it to be fairly easy to do. I pulled it apart and polished the engagement spots, did a bit of filing to reduce the creep and re-assembled to test. I was able to get it down to 2 1/2 lbs average. Since they have a trigger spring adjustment I pulled it back apart and lightly ground the trigger spring on both ends, just enough to flatten out the spring without actually removing any of the coils. I re-assembled the trigger and tested and it was at 1 lbs 11.5 oz on a 5 pull average. I tightened it back up to slightly over 2 lbs and left it there.

Hope someone finds this useful!
Old April 9, 2010, 06:59 PM   #2
BruceM

Post '64 M70 triggers manufactured in New Haven can usually be tuned and have the weight of pull lightened very easily and without any filing or stoning. It's pretty easy to get a 3-3.5 lb. pull with minimal if any creep or overtravel. It's one of the reasons I really liked the Post '64 M70 and I did that modification immediately to the four or five I own. For a medium to big game rifle used in the field, I don't care to lighten them more than that.

Bruce