The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 14, 2002, 05:44 PM   #1
JohnK

KY Imports experiences?

Has anyone here purchased from KY Imports and if so what kind of experience have you had with them? Are they a reputable company?

They seem to have some very inexpensive prices on their web site, but it hasn't been updated in a very long time and their response to email has been slow and incomplete. They did eventually answer my email but only answered part of my question which makes me a bit leery of them.

So before risking any hard earned cash on them I thought I'd see if anyone else has first.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old February 14, 2002, 06:29 PM   #2
RH Factor

I live here in Louisville where they are...my advice is to call them...they are good people..all my experience has been good with them. I call first too.
RH Factor
Old February 14, 2002, 06:34 PM   #3
JohnK

Thanks RH, considering that 10x as many people will complain as will praise (just human nature) the first reply being positive is a good sign.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old February 14, 2002, 06:48 PM   #4
croyance

IIRC, they we're pretty good. They don't always tell you in the invoice when they expect to get backorders in. OTOH they do keep backorders in their system until they can deliver.
Old February 14, 2002, 07:34 PM   #5
Ed2000

I e-mailed them and asked them to describe the criteria they use to classify a S&W 681 as Good, Very Good, or Excellent. Basically, I wanted to know if they followed the NRA standard or their own as some companies do. They e-mailed back and told me that if I had to ask that question, I should not purchase from them.
Old February 14, 2002, 08:01 PM   #6
CastleBravo

KY Imports are ****. By the way, most of the stuff on their site isn't ever in stock.
Old February 14, 2002, 10:55 PM   #7
Tropical Z

They update their website once a year whether it needs it or not!
Old February 15, 2002, 05:16 AM   #8
Jager1

I agree with CB. Most of what they advertise is generally out of stock.

Every order I ever placed with them arrived about 90% short. The invoice typically stated that they no longer had the item in stock and were not going to be receiving any more. I suppose what ticked me off the most was that the only items I ever recieved were those "additional" items I didn't really need (you know, the AK mag pouch or something), while never getting the items I had truly placed the order for.

Don't bother calling, either. They will always tell you that the items are in stock, despite the opposite being true.

Not a good feeling when you are trying to put something together from a bunch of sources and they don't deliver as advertised.

I complained to them each time and got the typical supply side excuses or infamous "the items you ordered are in high demand and short supply", right before they offered up a more expensive alternative or dashed my hopes altogether by claiming I'd be lucky to find one anywhere (Gee, then why are you advertising you have them and confirming it on the phone?).

After a few go-rounds, I gave up on them as a reliable supplier. :barf:

Who knows? Maybe they have changed?
Old February 15, 2002, 06:12 AM   #9
Jack19

My experience with KY Imports has been mixed. In my experience, they tend of over rate the condition of firearms. Should you EVER need to return something, get a return authorization number, the FULL name of the individual you spoke to who provided you the authorization number, record the date and time of the call (if you're calling long distance this will be on your phone bill), write your return number on your original invoice, make a copy of your original invoice, return your merchandise via a carrier who can provide you with positive proof that the item was returned, and then obtain that proof. Then, wait for your refund or exchange. You get the idea......
Old February 15, 2002, 12:01 PM   #10
Logistar

I visited their warehouse (store???) here in Louisville. I rang a bell, a young girl peeped out the peephole in the door, let me in to find myself in a TINY room where I was allowed to look at a catalog. She said if there was something specific that I wanted that she would get it for me.

I asked her a few questions but she was unable to answer any of them. I suppose her job was simply to fill orders.

Looks like they are only mail-order. Otherwise I have not used them for anything.
Old February 17, 2002, 05:41 PM   #11
mt_goodrich

I tried to buy from them, but they just wouldn't let me.

They advertise several items I was interested in. Also, a couple of buddies wanted some stuff.

I called and ended up talking to someone who had the personality of a rock. All I kept getting was "We ain't got it". When I tried to ask when they might "get it", he says "I dunno" and then he hung up when I was in the middle of asking another question.
HS 2000
S&W 4043
Remington Nylon 10c Mohawk
Daisey Red Rider BB Gun
Old March 17, 2002, 08:46 PM   #12
Patrick Murphy

I agree with the majority. I called KY last week about three handguns, two revolvers and one autopistol, and none were available, so I asked about several more from the website and none of them were available either. I asked if they would e-mail me a list of S&W autos in stock and she said no. If I send in a buck and ask for the catalog for April they'll send me one. No thanks.
Old March 17, 2002, 09:31 PM   #13
Drakejake

I have dealt with them only once. A few days ago I bought a Pachmayr grip from them. The price was MUCH lower than what was being charged by others and my order got here in two days. So far, so good! I would try them again.

Drakejake
Old August 27, 2004, 09:44 PM   #14
ltcjmb

Ky

I bought a Glock 23 with night sights. They shipped it fast but one of the dots was dead. A five minute sight change out took months to accomplish.

Worst of all they lied about when it was done.

There are enough good dealers around to avoid this treatment..
Old August 28, 2004, 06:19 AM   #15
JMC

I tried dealing with them awhile back on a listed Walther P99 full capacity magazine. Nothing but discourtious, rude and unprofessional. :barf:

After speaking with a female who didn't know her arm from her elbow, I got a guy who refused to answer my questions and then refused to sell to me.

Stay away from KY Imports.

[Various unnecessary expletives deleted. - Mal H]
Old August 28, 2004, 03:50 PM   #16
Zigokubasi

My experience with KY Imports was pretty good, at first. I ordered my Polytech Sporter from them and they were polite on the phone initially. It took longer than expected to arrive, and when I called to check on it I was told they "don't provide tracking numbers" and given some attitude. It finally arrived a few days later and I'm very happy with it, but I don't doubt the veracity of the bad experiences recounted here one bit.
Old August 29, 2004, 12:50 PM   #17
neal bloom

Gave up on KY IMports long time ago. Every time I called they were out of stock.
Old August 29, 2004, 07:25 PM   #18
prowler

I belive KY Import is a distributor, they sell to FFL holder only. If you want to buy somthing look at CDNN they sell almost everything (non guns) to consummer. Toll free # is 800-588-9500.
Old August 29, 2004, 07:33 PM   #19
Ghost-1

I tried getting some stuff from them not to long ago and after talking with them I decided not to purchase from them they were completely rude and complete idiot's.
Old September 7, 2004, 01:40 PM   #20
JNewell

I've ordered from them several times and had great service and gotten goods at least as good as expected each time.

I agree that the website is out of date most of the time, but if you call I have always gotten the correct status, politely and up front. They are the only place I know of whose paper catalogs are more up to date than their website...whoa!

Hope your luck is more like mine than some of those above. I think you get a lot of value for the dollar with KYI.
Old September 9, 2004, 02:44 PM   #21
Robert J McElwain

I've purchased 2 or 3 SIGs from them in the last three years, and I've been very satisfied with the service and the pistols received.

I think a lot of their pistols come from police wholesale trade-ins. The guns arrive very filthy but with very little actual shooting history. Also, they show a fair amount of holster wear, as you might expect. After a good cleaning, they're almost like new.

Good prices.

Bob

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson
Old September 9, 2004, 04:55 PM   #22
Mike in VA

I've bought ammo, accessories, and magazines from them, went fine - fair price, good service. I know a couple folks who have bought handguns from them, and they were in 'as advertised' condition. All in all, they seem to be a stand-up outfit to deal with. FWIW.
Old September 17, 2004, 09:40 PM   #23
Crimper-D

Have only bought from them twice...= "Adequate"

1 handgun in the 90's it was in stock and when they got my PMO, they shipped... The package looked like it had been dragged behind a truck to the UPS shipping point, but the weapon was intact and still shoots well.
The Mags I orderd were a good price and deliverd intact. Thankfully, I like surprises, since I didn't get a UPS tracking # with either. The order taker wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree but the info must have gotten through I've delt with worse, but I've delt with better too, and that's who gets my business now.
Old September 18, 2004, 04:07 PM   #24
Marvin Gardens

Ordered several guns from them over the years. First five or six were ok except they were out of about half of everything they advertised. Last order was for a 2 1/2" 19, they shipped me a 4" 66. It was turning into such a pain trying to deal with them to send it back that I just said to hell with it and kept it. That was the last purchase I made from them and that was five or seven years ago. All in all, still better service than that "GunsRUS" RGuns (Illinois) outfit that advertised in Shotgun News back when I was still a subscriber.

Good Luck

Marvin
Old September 18, 2004, 06:47 PM   #25
Homeseller

Ordered a few items from the over the year-no problems.

Hubert H. Humphrey